Would anyone go to see a female lead sci fi movie...if it wasn't supported by the words "Star Wars?"

Star Wars- ensemble cast
Avatar- two leads- male and female- you didn't see it- so what the fucks are you talking about in this thread?
Jurassic World- Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard
Avengers- ensemble cast

And Hunger Games? Jennifer Lawrence

Hunger Games and Aliens demonstrates your basic premise is flawed.

What we don't know is why you are so intimidated by strong female leads in films.

Aliens was a sequel.......and the majority of the action was done by the marines....people went to see the Aliens and the marines...not Sigourney weaver.....

Terminator 2....again, a sequal....and Sarah Connor in the original was the damsel in distress.........

Hunger games .....an exception to the rule......and it came from a book to boot....

Ok what's your excuse for Underworld?

Vampires vs. Werewolves.....

You are so full of excuses...just admit you are wrong and move on.

Nope...not wrong......female stars are paid less, their movies earn less.....and the only reason they will be successful in the Star Wars movies as the leads....is because they are Star Wars movies....

How much have the Underworld movies made? How much has Angelina Jolie made? How much has the chick from Resident Evil made? Now remember she was also in the The Fifth Element.

Aliens was a sequel.......and the majority of the action was done by the marines....people went to see the Aliens and the marines...not Sigourney weaver.....

Terminator 2....again, a sequal....and Sarah Connor in the original was the damsel in distress.........

Hunger games .....an exception to the rule......and it came from a book to boot....

Nope...not wrong......female stars are paid less, their movies earn less.....and the only reason they will be successful in the Star Wars movies as the leads....is because they are Star Wars movies....

How much have the Underworld movies made? How much has Angelina Jolie made? How much has the chick from Resident Evil made? Now remember she was also in the The Fifth Element.

Again...Underworld was a movie about Vampires and Werewolves fighting a war......immediate guy attraction factor.....the female lead did not generate the viewership.....Angelina Jolie.....starred in Tomb Raider...a video game movie, which I already pointed out was one of the only ways to get guys to see female leads....Resident Evil...another video game movie....

Do you guys think, or do you just react emotionally if your P.C. world view is challenged by truth, facts and reality....?

Thanks for bringing that up...did you see the honest Trailers from Youtube.......there was also a review that pointed out that that movie was a bait and switch...they promised Mad Max...and gave us Charlize Theron.......had it been a Charlize Theron movie........half as successful....if successful at all.....

That's sheer and utter bullshit. I am a Mad Max fan from the very first film (which I saw in the theatre in Melbourne!) and WE all love the new flick. In fact I think Hardy is the weakest link in the movie.

Thanks for bringing that up...did you see the honest Trailers from Youtube.......there was also a review that pointed out that that movie was a bait and switch...they promised Mad Max...and gave us Charlize Theron.......had it been a Charlize Theron movie........half as successful....if successful at all.....

That's sheer and utter bullshit. I am a Mad Max fan from the very first film (which I saw in the theatre in Melbourne!) and WE all love the new flick. In fact I think Hardy is the weakest link in the movie.

Sorry, have to disagree....it was a dumb movie. And it wasn't a Mad Max movie...but they used Mad Max to draw people in .........

If they had left out Mad Max......and promoted it as a Charlize Theron sci fi action film....the box office would have been a lot lower......

This Honest Trailer encapsulates Mad Max: Fury Road....

Again...Underworld was a movie about Vampires and Werewolves fighting a war......immediate guy attraction factor.....the female lead did not generate the viewership.....Angelina Jolie.....starred in Tomb Raider...a video game movie, which I already pointed out was one of the only ways to get guys to see female leads....Resident Evil...another video game movie....

Do you guys think, or do you just react emotionally if your P.C. world view is challenged by truth, facts and reality....?

Angelina Jolie was also in Salt and Wanted.

QUIT MAKING EXCUSES... you said Sci-Fi and Action. Now when I say Underworld... you say it is because of the Vampires and Werewolves... you are full of shit. :)

Here you go....top 25 highest grossing action films since 1995......how many had female leads?

The Numbers - Box Office Performance History for Action Movies

...and wait a second... how many of those movies had a leading lady?

You mean the male leads romantic interest......? You mean the one not driving the story? You mean like that?

You continue to make excuses that aren't there. You're not even good at it.

And Andrew Klavan reviews the movie accurately as well....

'Mad Max' -- The Critics Are Lying for Political Reasons

What Fury Road does have is a female warrior (played by the always-watchable Charlize Theron) who does the work that any good story would have reserved for its central character. She has a back story that matters. She performs the major action tasks. She travels over a personal arc within the plot. Some in Hollywood fear that female action leads bomb. So Fury Road sneaks the female lead in by giving the female sidekick all the good stuff to do. As a result, however, the center of the movie is empty and the story collapses into it.

As readers of this blog know, I hate giving bad reviews. Writing good books and making good movies are very hard things to accomplish and I'd much rather praise the best and let the worst pass by in silence. My point is not to pick on the film, but simply to make myself blue in the face reminding conservatives who complain about the leftist monopoly on the arts that it didn't happen by accident and it won't go away by itself. It is kept in place by gray-lists and lies and it needs to be overturned by talented artistic effort, fresh and honest critical voices, smart capitalist investment, grants and awards.

--------------

But of course, reality does have its revenge from time to time. For all the critics' furious attempts to make Fury Road a smash, it was trumped at the box office by — wait for it — Pitch Perfect 2, the sequel to a cute little musical about a college girls a cappella singing group. Women showed up in droves for the picture because they preferred a song-fest to slam-bang action.

Last edited:

Angelina Jolie was also in Salt and Wanted.

QUIT MAKING EXCUSES... you said Sci-Fi and Action. Now when I say Underworld... you say it is because of the Vampires and Werewolves... you are full of shit. :)

Nope.......Wanted was a comic book.....and she was second fiddle to the main character........

And yes....Werewolves and Vampires at war........that is what drew the audience.....

Here you go....top 25 highest grossing action films since 1995......how many had female leads?

The Numbers - Box Office Performance History for Action Movies

...and wait a second... how many of those movies had a leading lady?

You mean the male leads romantic interest......? You mean the one not driving the story? You mean like that?

You continue to make excuses that aren't there. You're not even good at it.

Not excuses...the truth.

And from the industry itself...you know...the people who actually want to make money and would sell their mothers, sisters and daughters to make one more dime....

Leaked Sony Email Reveals Marvel's Distaste For Female Superhero Movies | The Huffington Post

And? People are BEGGING for a Blackwidow stand alone movie... and will get one. Captain Marvel? Lead woman... about to get made. There is talk about a Scarlett Witch movie...

You keep coming up with excuses... you asking if "anyone" would go see a Sci-fi movie with a lead female. The answer is yes.

And from the industry itself...you know...the people who actually want to make money and would sell their mothers, sisters and daughters to make one more dime....

Leaked Sony Email Reveals Marvel's Distaste For Female Superhero Movies | The Huffington Post

And? People are BEGGING for a Blackwidow stand alone movie... and will get one. Captain Marvel? Lead woman... about to get made. There is talk about a Scarlett Witch movie...

You keep coming up with excuses... you asking if "anyone" would go see a Sci-fi movie with a lead female. The answer is yes.

Yeah....and we will see how they do outside of the comic book nerd kingdom....

Yeah....and we will see how they do outside of the comic book nerd kingdom....

Hmmm probably better than Doctor Strange which is considered a somewhat less than main stream comic book compared to an Avenger and Captain Marvel.

Kill Bill, Aliens, Sarah Conor in Terminator, Lucy, Hunger Games, Residential Evil,

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

All addressed earlier in the thread......

Sarah Connor .....not the lead....the Terminator was the lead....in the first movie.....she was a damsel in distress. Lucy ..... that was a bait and switch, they claimed it was an action movie when it was actually more a think piece on the human brain...the action was little and rare......and the fact that action Producer Luc Besson was behind it drove up the numbers more than Johansen being in it....

Forum List

Back