Will the dems really go all in for race-identity politics in 20?

What else would they run on? Tax hikes...open borders and the elimination of ICE...restoring bad trade deals...government run healthcare? They run on identity politics because it diverts attention from their lack of ANYTHING that a rational person would want!

Most likely. That's where the energy in the party is right now.

Unfortunately. It's all about "identity" right now.
Well, I'm not all in on Sherrod Brown, but his comments on making all issues about "working people," seemed the right way to go. The only "identity" issue that seems controversial to me is where should transgender people go to the bathroom, and that seems pretty easily solvable to me since most places have a "third" bathroom already that only has a single person capacity. Trump is about division; that's what he's been about since the 1970s. I never thought it was a viable long term strategy for a political party.

What else would they run on? Tax hikes...open borders and the elimination of ICE...restoring bad trade deals...government run healthcare? They run on identity politics because it diverts attention from their lack of ANYTHING that a rational person would want!
They did pretty good this month.

Well, I'm not all in on Sherrod Brown, but his comments on making all issues about "working people," seemed the right way to go. The only "identity" issue that seems controversial to me is where should transgender people go to the bathroom, and that seems pretty easily solvable to me since most places have a "third" bathroom already that only has a single person capacity. Trump is about division; that's what he's been about since the 1970s. I never thought it was a viable long term strategy for a political party.
I'd just like to see the Dems offer a positive alternative regardless of sexuality or gender identity or skin color or anything else. Dividing people into little sub-groups plays right into Trump's hands, and it's part of the reason for the pushback that got him elected in the first place.

A positive alternative to Trump should be enough. The party has gone too far with the other stuff, and that just puts them down in the mud with him.

How about working for things that help the most people, instead of giving all the power to the few. could we do some thing sensible about illegals? something between kill them all & give them all.

I'd just like to see the Dems offer a positive alternative regardless of sexuality or gender identity or skin color or anything else. Dividing people into little sub-groups plays right into Trump's hands, and it's part of the reason for the pushback that got him elected in the first place.

A positive alternative to Trump should be enough. The party has gone too far with the other stuff, and that just puts them down in the mud with him.
Yeah, that's my drift. The gay folks I know are all in on Health Care and education for kids. They pretty much just want to be treated equally and have govt address those needs that are the same as mine.

The US population is 77% white, 12% black, and 11% brown/other...good luck bashing those white guys....The polls have the 2020 race as:
Michelle Obama 19% and Trump 18% with Sanders at 13%
Biden 33% and Sanders 13% Election 2020 and CNN
Trump wins over dems PredictIt
Vegas odds has Trump over Harris and Beto US Presidential Election 2020 Winner Betting Odds | Politics

Its early, but the dems have no clear front runner. 2020 should be very entertaining....

How about working for things that help the most people, instead of giving all the power to the few. could we do some thing sensible about illegals? something between kill them all & give them all.
Yeah I think the elections showed "invading caravans" is a burning issue for the party of the Rural Whites. But problem solving seemed more important to most. And polls back in 16 pretty much showed that latinos were not hugely in favor of "open borders" but they also didn't see the merit in kicking out people who'd been raising families and working. But so long as the Rural Whites held the House, no compromise was achievable. Now it probably is, but McConnell might not allow a vote on a bill with maj support if Trump would veto it.

‘Potential candidates of color like Booker, Harris and Castro are also speaking directly and forcefully about race in ways that most past presidential candidates from minority groups did not.

Booker regularly gets onstage and tells the crowd that he’s there to “get folk woke.” Harris has said that the phrase “identity politics” is deployed “to minimize and marginalize issues that impact all of us. It’s used to try and shut us up.” And Castro’s PAC, dubbed Opportunity First, made a point of supporting candidates of color in 2018; more than half of its endorsees were people of color. ibid

Exactly.

Consequently, the question is how will Democrats respond to Republicans who use the lie of ‘identity politics’ to attack Democratic candidates in an effort to deflect from an issue Republicans are desperate to avoid, where Republicans are indeed the actual purveyors of ‘identity politics’ as they seek to foment the unwarranted fear far too many white voters have of immigrants and minorities.

Didn't they learn anything in 18 about people voting on healthcare and an unpopular gop tax cut?

2020 Democrats go all-in on 'identity politics'
The answer to the OP’s question can be found in the article he cited:

“There is no strategy to get the presidency back that doesn’t include winning or being competitive in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania. Period,” said Tom Russell, who recently managed the Democratic Party’s independent expenditure group in the Wisconsin governor’s race, a big success for Democrats. “The diversity that exists in our coalition that doesn’t exist in the Republican coalition is something that has to be discussed, but at the end of the day they also have to have a sort of meat and potatoes message.” ibid

Clearly the notion that Democrats will pursue a ‘race only’ strategy is as ridiculous as it is wrong.

Unfortunately, racism, bigotry, and hate remain a part of American society, the recent murders of racial and religious minorities is proof of that – race is therefore a perfectly appropriate topic of political discourse, no matter how much Republicans want to avoid the topic.

Didn't they learn anything in 18 about people voting on healthcare and an unpopular gop tax cut?

Every Presidential election the GOP nominee is portrayed as:

1. Racist
Is John McCain a Racist? - Shadowproof
2. Stupid.
McCain's Secret, Questionable Record | HuffPost

Then when John McCain came out against Trump right before he died, he turned into a wonderful statesman overnight.
I voted for McCain for potus in 2000 and 2008. And he might have won in 08 if he'd run with Leiberman.

The answer to the OP’s question can be found in the article he cited:

“There is no strategy to get the presidency back that doesn’t include winning or being competitive in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania. Period,” said Tom Russell, who recently managed the Democratic Party’s independent expenditure group in the Wisconsin governor’s race, a big success for Democrats. “The diversity that exists in our coalition that doesn’t exist in the Republican coalition is something that has to be discussed, but at the end of the day they also have to have a sort of meat and potatoes message.” ibid

Clearly the notion that Democrats will pursue a ‘race only’ strategy is as ridiculous as it is wrong.

Unfortunately, racism, bigotry, and hate remain a part of American society, the recent murders of racial and religious minorities is proof of that – race is therefore a perfectly appropriate topic of political discourse, no matter how much Republicans want to avoid the topic.
But there was also this

Potential 2020 candidates publicly profess that it’s not an either-or scenario. But Clinton herself has said that her focus on issues disproportionately affecting black voters, such as the water crisis in Flint, Michigan, may have alienated white voters. "I don't know if my advocacy for the heavily African American community of Flint alienated white voters in other parts of Michigan but it certainly didn't seem to help, as I lost the state narrowly in both the primary and the general election," she wrote in her post-election book, "What Happened."

Ultimately, choices will have to be made about which issues to focus on and how much energy to expend on turning out the Democratic base versus persuading white voters who’ve been leaving the party.

(Biden is also quoted shortly thereafter with a bit of a different spin)

But I think that's the issue. Criminal Justice reform should not be race based. Yeah blacks disproportionately are affected by drug laws, but they are not unique

Water affects whites too

They did pretty good this month.

They lost Senate seats, Bendog. No Senate...no way to stop Trump from appointing conservative judges! The Democrats DIDN'T do very good this month...they just want to pretend they did because they took back some House seats and have the majority there. Now they have a REAL problem...with control of the House...people are going to expect them to start passing legislation that deals with real problems like immigration and healthcare...you know...the things they didn't fix when they controlled everything before? In the meantime, if Trump feels like it...he can take a page out of Barack Obama's play book and push his agenda with Executive Orders to do an end run around the House. Not much the Democrats can do about that...is there?

Every Presidential election the GOP nominee is portrayed as:

1. Racist
Is John McCain a Racist? - Shadowproof
2. Stupid.
McCain's Secret, Questionable Record | HuffPost

Then when John McCain came out against Trump right before he died, he turned into a wonderful statesman overnight.

The "morphing" of John McCain by the liberal media is a perfect example of what the right faces these days! When Al Gore was running for President, John McCain was seen as such a moderate that Gore gave serious thought to choosing him as his running mate. Yet when McCain ran for the Presidency against Barack Obama the liberal media portrayed him as an ultra conservative with dangerous views! Then after Trump was elected and McCain spoke out against him, the liberal media once again proclaimed that McCain was a moderate "voice of reason" and praised him to high heavens!

Forum List

Back