Why was the second amendment written?

I doubt many will agree on the purpose of the second amendment, but I'd love to hear why everybody thinks the second amendment was written. Personally, I understand that it was put there so that we could take back our government if they get out of control.

That was then, this is now, those who might have, waited too long. 18th century ideologues lagging behind 21st century tech. The gun is a fetish symbol for what we refused to unite against and resist.
Come get them.

lagging behind 21st century tech.

I'm down with that...

0bb2b2ec702fd0ed21d27c01e61d4a3b--newt-aliens-aliens-.jpg
No match for a drone, mass surveillance, concentration camps and militarized corporate state police in an authoritarian walled in society.
There are some leftists cheering about the US. getting it ass kicked by some goat fuckers in Afghanistan
How did all that shit work out in Afghanistan?
No one is cheering, but we sure can't help pointing out that massive fire power doesn't always work.
Yes they are
One of the leftist here started a thread cheering about America withdrawing and getting their asses kicked
I can't find the thread it was either killed or locked out because I got thread banned
As a matter of fact I believe it was BO DIDLEYSQUAT who started that thread.

I doubt many will agree on the purpose of the second amendment, but I'd love to hear why everybody thinks the second amendment was written. Personally, I understand that it was put there so that we could take back our government if they get out of control.
Your understanding is wrong.

The Second Amendment safeguards an individual right to possess firearms pursuant to lawful self-defense – not to act in the capacity of law enforcement, not to fight crime, and not to ‘overthrow’ a government incorrectly and subjectively perceived to have become ‘tyrannical.’

The Framers did not amend the Constitution to authorize the destruction of the Republic they had just created.

Indeed, there’s nothing in Second Amendment case law that supports insurrectionist dogma, the wrongheaded notion that the Amendment authorizes citizens with small arms to ‘take back’ government gone ‘out of control’:

‘How crazy is the insurrectionist view that appears to be driving the opposition to expanded background checks, for fear of a national firearms registry, for fear of a totalitarian federal government? It's so crazy that even Justice Scalia, writing in Heller, acknowledged that modern circumstances had severed the substantive protections of the Second Amendment from their original militia purpose, and by modern circumstances, he meant the preposterousness of insurrectionism. He said that "our standing army is the pride of our Nation" and stated (earlier in the opinion) that "it may be true that no amount of small arms could be useful against modern-day bombers and tanks."’

Dorf on Law: The Resurrection of Second Amendment Insurrectionism is "Ted Cruz Crazy"

The Second Amendment safeguards an individual right to possess firearms pursuant to lawful self-defense – not to act in the capacity of law enforcement, not to fight crime, and not to ‘overthrow’ a government incorrectly and subjectively perceived to have become ‘tyrannical.’

The Framers did not amend the Constitution to authorize the destruction of the Republic they had just created.

Indeed, there’s nothing in Second Amendment case law that supports insurrectionist dogma, the wrongheaded notion that the Amendment authorizes citizens with small arms to ‘take back’ government gone ‘out of control’:

‘How crazy is the insurrectionist view that appears to be driving the opposition to expanded background checks, for fear of a national firearms registry, for fear of a totalitarian federal government? It's so crazy that even Justice Scalia, writing in Heller, acknowledged that modern circumstances had severed the substantive protections of the Second Amendment from their original militia purpose, and by modern circumstances, he meant the preposterousness of insurrectionism. He said that "our standing army is the pride of our Nation" and stated (earlier in the opinion) that "it may be true that no amount of small arms could be useful against modern-day bombers and tanks."’

Dorf on Law: The Resurrection of Second Amendment Insurrectionism is "Ted Cruz Crazy"
One of your leftist buddies was cheering in a thread they started about the U.S. withdrawing troops from Afghanistan and getting their asses kicked how did that military might work out against some goat fuckers?

It’s not a matter of anyone ‘agreeing’; the Constitution exists solely in the context of its case law, as determined by the Supreme Court – including the Second Amendment.

And that case law in no manner supports ‘fighting tyranny.’

The Second Amendment doesn’t ‘trump’ the First – it doesn’t take from the people the right to petition the government for a redress of grievances through the political or judicial process; it doesn’t authorize a minority of citizens to ‘overthrow’ a lawfully elected government reflecting the will of the majority of the people by ‘force of arms.’

i just found out that by unanimous decision our county is now a second amendment sanctuary county. The resolution states that officials will devote no money or resources of any kind that infringe on gun rights. Come shi*t stains, come get them and get your ass thrown in jail!

It’s not a matter of anyone ‘agreeing’; the Constitution exists solely in the context of its case law, as determined by the Supreme Court – including the Second Amendment.

The Second Amendment doesn’t ‘trump’ the First – it doesn’t take from the people the right to petition the government for a redress of grievances through the political or judicial process; it doesn’t authorize a minority of citizens to ‘overthrow’ a lawfully elected government reflecting the will of the majority of the people by ‘force of arms.’
Come get them scumbag.

judiciary tyranny is what you just gave an example of.
Without a second you wouldn't have a first

They put the 2nd amendment there because they knew some day the slaves would be freed by a Republican and Democrats would put them on welfare and in ghettos, knowing they would eventually turn on each other so they wanted to make sure there would be plenty of guns to make it easier to kill each other off. That's what I was told anyway.

The Second Amendment was written by people who were aware of their recent and past history. Aware people today understand that as well as the fact that it is no longer 1776.

One of Britain's first acts of war against America was an attempt to confiscate our weapons.

The great men who wrote the Constitution clearly understand that retaining our weapons was essential in our ability to fight off the British, and to establish our independence from them. As Mao Zedong would later observe, “Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun.” Mao, of course, wanted that power to be in the hands of his country's government, his country's Communist party. The great men who founded this nation, and who wrote our Constitution, wanted this power to be in the hands, not of the government, but of the people, recognizing that this was the only way to preserve the freedoms that they fought so hard, and sacrificed so much, to establish.

I work with at least 20 people who have gun and rifle collections and they are way calmer than any Liberal I have ever met.
Obviously you’ve met very few ‘liberals’ – if any.

And ‘liberals’ have gun and rifle collections, enjoy the shooting sports, and possess firearms for self-defense.
I meet lots of a Democrats and never want to meet a Liberal a second time.

Do you reject the notion that the second amendment was created for the purpose of resisting oppression?

One of Britain's first acts of war against America was an attempt to confiscate our weapons.

The great men who wrote the Constitution clearly understand that retaining our weapons was essential in our ability to fight off the British, and to establish our independence from them. As Mao Zedong would later observe, “Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun.” Mao, of course, wanted that power to be in the hands of his country's government, his country's Communist party. The great men who founded this nation, and who wrote our Constitution, wanted this power to be in the hands, not of the government, but of the people, recognizing that this was the only way to preserve the freedoms that they fought so hard, and sacrificed so much, to establish.
I agree, and I believe that right of keeping and bearing the tools to resist oppression was intended to permanent.

Why was the second amendment written?

Cuz 'ol George was on a bender w/his army pals....and they wanted to blow off a few rounds ....

Here's how George Washington ran up a $17,253 bar tab two days before signing the Constitution

By the end of the night, Washington's party drank: 54 bottle of Madeira wine, 60 bottle of Bordeaux wine, 8 bottles of old stock whiskey, 22 bottles of porter ale, 8 bottles of hard cider, 12 jugs of beer, and 7 large bowls of punch. The staff and musicians also drank 16 bottles of Bordeaux wine, 5 bottles of Madeira wine, and seven bowls of punch.

~S~

The Second Amendment was written by people who were aware of their recent and past history. Aware people today understand that as well as the fact that it is no longer 1776.

The 2A was written by people well versed in the long trail of human history and the enduring nature of humanity (strengths and frailties alike). It was not a fad, bub.

To make sure that the PEOPLE have the ability to remove an illegitimate government. As Jefferson wrote "it is oftimes necessary to water the tree of liberty with the blood of tyrants and patriots."

Last edited:

Forum List

Back