Why was the second amendment written?

lagging behind 21st century tech.

I'm down with that...

0bb2b2ec702fd0ed21d27c01e61d4a3b--newt-aliens-aliens-.jpg
No match for a drone, mass surveillance, concentration camps and militarized corporate state police in an authoritarian walled in society.

the taliban seem to do pretty good against all those things,,,

I doubt many will agree on the purpose of the second amendment, but I'd love to hear why everybody thinks the second amendment was written. Personally, I understand that it was put there so that we could take back our government if they get out of control.

That was then, this is now, those who might have, waited too long. 18th century ideologues lagging behind 21st century tech. The gun is a fetish symbol for what we refused to unite against and resist.
Because there are no totalitarian nations left on earth.
Pffffffffffffffffffffft, we support 73% of the world's dictatorships.
Is that why Trump just signed an EO to stop doing exactly that?
As he sucks off the Saudis? He just tried to pull a coup in Venezuela again to install a handpicked dictator. It's just what america does.
its better we do that there than china or russia....

I doubt many will agree on the purpose of the second amendment, but I'd love to hear why everybody thinks the second amendment was written. Personally, I understand that it was put there so that we could take back our government if they get out of control.
Joyce Lee Malcolm is a Professor for the George Mason University Antonin Scalia Law School. she would be an excellent choice for the supreme court if she was 20 years younger.

Joyce Lee Malcolm | C-SPAN.org

I'm down with that...

No match for a drone, mass surveillance, concentration camps and militarized corporate state police in an authoritarian walled in society.

I understand that technically inferior force can never prevail against superior technology ... unless they wear pajamas.

female-viet-cong-soldiers-20.jpg

Guess that we better start wearing pajamas then, because Russia just leapfrogged ahead of us in hypersonic technology. They currently have missiles that are fired from aircraft that can hit 10 times the speed of sound, and they have already been deployed into the field. They now have another land and sub launched missile that not only travels at 20 times the speed of sound, but it can also change direction in mid flight, making it VERY hard to detect.

Putin unveils another new hypersonic missile after boasting Russia is ONLY country to have them | Daily Mail Online

And, here is a very interesting article as to why they are so dangerous and why it should scare our military.

The U.S. Military Would Lose to Russian Hypersonic Missiles

I'm down with that...

I understand that technically inferior force can never prevail against superior technology ... unless they wear pajamas.

Guess that we better start wearing pajamas then, because Russia just leapfrogged ahead of us in hypersonic technology. They currently have missiles that are fired from aircraft that can hit 10 times the speed of sound, and they have already been deployed into the field. They now have another land and sub launched missile that not only travels at 20 times the speed of sound, but it can also change direction in mid flight, making it VERY hard to detect.

Putin unveils another new hypersonic missile after boasting Russia is ONLY country to have them | Daily Mail Online

And, here is a very interesting article as to why they are so dangerous and why it should scare our military.

Article from 2013 -- six years ago

Army successfully launches Advanced Hypersonic Weapon demonstrator | …

It talks about a "well regulated militia", and that was because the US didn't have a standing military yet, so it depended on the people for defense.

Personally? I think that after we stood up our military, and made it one of the most formidable on the planet, that is when the 2nd became obsolete. And, while I'm from Montana and didn't know what store bought meat was most of my childhood, I'm also a hunter. And, if a person wants a 6 shooter, or any other kind of handgun, I would like the ammo to only be around 9 rounds before you have to reload. If you want to own a rifle, bolt action or lever action rifles are perfectly fine, and again, I'd like to see an ammo limit of about 10 rounds or less before reloading.

Semi automatic weapons that fire a round with each trigger squeeze that holds 30 plus rounds? Don't see the use of them. Handguns are better for home defense, and the AR-15 is designed to throw lots of ammo downrange quickly, which the only use I could see is in a war zone. And yeah, I served 20 years in the Navy.

It talks about a "well regulated militia", and that was because the US didn't have a standing military yet, so it depended on the people for defense.
Well Regulated as to be expected in working order. The U.S. Congress is not well regulated therefore the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Personally? I think that after we stood up our military, and made it one of the most formidable on the planet, that is when the 2nd became obsolete. And, while I'm from Montana and didn't know what store bought meat was most of my childhood, I'm also a hunter. And, if a person wants a 6 shooter, or any other kind of handgun, I would like the ammo to only be around 9 rounds before you have to reload. If you want to own a rifle, bolt action or lever action rifles are perfectly fine, and again, I'd like to see an ammo limit of about 10 rounds or less before reloading.
Anyone who has really been in the military and saw how other countries are controlled would not have an opinion that you have. And the second amendment has nothing to do with hunting.

Semi automatic weapons that fire a round with each trigger squeeze that holds 30 plus rounds? Don't see the use of them. Handguns are better for home defense, and the AR-15 is designed to throw lots of ammo downrange quickly, which the only use I could see is in a war zone. And yeah, I served 20 years in the Navy.
As a firearms expert, I can say whatever works for a person they should have access to it Nonexperts give an opinion don't have a clue what a person might need. The person involved should make that call what they need and feel comfortable with.
Just my expert opinion.

The people should not trust a government that does not trust the people to own guns.

Honorable men who put the interests of citizens over their personal desires wrote it.

The Founding Fathers could have easily obtained life jobs running the new nation as rulers, yet intentionally created a government where they could not.

I'm down with that...

The military already has better weapons

Honorable men who put the interests of citizens over their personal desires wrote it.

The Founding Fathers could have easily obtained life jobs running the new nation as rulers, yet intentionally created a government where they could not.
Easily THE best post I've seen in this thread. Nicely done!

The first 10 Amendments were written because America hated when the British authorities took those rights away.....An obvious case in point, the frequently forgotten Third Amendment. Another clue is read the main body of the Declaration of Independence, the part most people don't read.....it is a long list of all the complaints the colonists had against Britain.

Easily THE best post I've seen in this thread. Nicely done!
After the whiskey rebellion, George Washington could have pushed Congress to amend the second amendment but he didn't

The first 10 Amendments were written because America hated when the British authorities took those rights away.....An obvious case in point, the frequently forgotten Third Amendment. Another clue is read the main body of the Declaration of Independence, the part most people don't read.....it is a long list of all the complaints the colonists had against Britain.
and therefore they knew an unarmed populace would lose their rights once again if they did not have the ability to fight back protected.

I'm down with that...

There are some leftists cheering about the US. getting it ass kicked by some goat fuckers in Afghanistan
How did all that shit work out in Afghanistan?
No one is cheering, but we sure can't help pointing out that massive fire power doesn't always work.

we sure can't help pointing out that massive fire power doesn't always work.

If your massive firepower doesn't work ... then your firepower isn't massive enough.

"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -- Fudd's 1st Law of Opposition

4130_c929f2210333206f417e3862f431776d.jpg

Forum List

Back