Why is Hollywood systematically destroying older film heroes?

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Interesting video I ran across... if you choose to watch it, do yourself a favor and skip to the :50 mark... you will avoid a rather long intro.

Anyway, I rarely watch any modern remakes of movies, so I have only seen a few of them. But I absolutely saw, and hated, the Star Wars "The Rise of Skywalker"... who could not notice that two of the biggest heroes of the series, Han Solo and Luke, were reduced to helpless imps to be outsmarted and out done by a 80lb. female "space Jesus" who is unstoppable, and in her first fight, barely even aware she has the force... beats a life long trained Supreme Lord of the Dark Side - Kylo Ren. One of the dumbest scenes in a movie in a long time.
The video goes on to show how modern Hollywood seems determined to destroy the "old heroes" who got to be heroes, through the best of human traits and valor, to replace them with 80lb. weaklings who get to greatness... for no apparent reason... just super awesome without explanation.

I just object that they made Luke Skywalker into a whiny, little bitch. Ruined my childhood memories of the first three movies more than Lucas constant re-edits of his movies and the three crappy prequels.

Interesting video I ran across... if you choose to watch it, do yourself a favor and skip to the :50 mark... you will avoid a rather long intro.

Anyway, I rarely watch any modern remakes of movies, so I have only seen a few of them. But I absolutely saw, and hated, the Star Wars "The Rise of Skywalker"... who could not notice that two of the biggest heroes of the series, Han Solo and Luke, were reduced to helpless imps to be outsmarted and out done by a 80lb. female "space Jesus" who is unstoppable, and in her first fight, barely even aware she has the force... beats a life long trained Supreme Lord of the Dark Side - Kylo Ren. One of the dumbest scenes in a movie in a long time.
The video goes on to show how modern Hollywood seems determined to destroy the "old heroes" who got to be heroes, through the best of human traits and valor, to replace them with 80lb. weaklings who get to greatness... for no apparent reason... just super awesome without explanation.

We can blame Jacques Derrida and his postmodernist philosophy of Deconstruction. THEY plan to deconstruct, dismantle, destroy all traditional pillars of Western Civilization, despite the fact that those same traditional pillars both built and are required to hold up civilization. When those traditional pillars are finally gone, our civilization will collapse until traditional minds return to the fore.

I just object that they made Luke Skywalker into a whiny, little bitch. Ruined my childhood memories of the first three movies more than Lucas constant re-edits of his movies and the three crappy prequels.

Aye... and the point of the video.
Luke Skywalker was like anyone else, could have been any member in he audience.
But through sheer determination, brutal hard work and relentless loyalty to the good cause - becomes a powerful hero.
In the "Rise of Skywalker" all of that was torn down in order to make the audience accept the new hero.

Suspension of disbelief becomes impossible when political ideology floods the plot, theme, etc. of popular fiction. At least for some folks.
Then it would appear some people need professional help with the "everything is sociopolitical" syndrome............

But through sheer determination, brutal hard work and relentless loyalty to the good cause - becomes a powerful hero.
In the "Rise of Skywalker" all of that was torn down in order to make the audience accept the new hero.

Yes, the new "Luke" is a Mary Sue—a prepackaged badass who comes complete with no potential for character growth, and she's her own Deus ex Machina.

Same with Rocky in the spin off "Creed".
Rocky is a down on his luck street brawler, when an old trainer sees something in him... and convinces him to train.
The first half of the film shows him transform himself from a self doubting excuse maker... and again, through raw determination, hard work and dedication to be the best at something... becomes exactly that.
In creed... Rocky has become an alcoholic, bitter man who hates everyone. Finds out he has cancer, but refuses to get treatment because he would rather die than spend another day on this rotten planet.
WTF?? .... again, they take a hero and destroy the old hero to make the audience accept the new hero who has NONE of the qualities of the original hero.

The way hollywood made Tonto appear in the Lone Ranger movie was a farce. Nothing like the Tonto I grew up with. Depp's portrayal of him made him out to be a nutcase. The same goes for Depp's role as Willie Wonka. Nothing like the original at all and that's such a shame for such a classic iconic character.

Who are you going to bank your future on?
Heroes from the 1970s who are in their late 70s now or a new set of action heroes for future films.

They were supposed to hand off the Star Wars torch

Sequels are an easy way to make a quick buck without the need for bunch of marketing etc etc. Some might argue that big screen movies are functionally extinct anyway. This is about the only way they can get butts in the seats---sequels and animated movies for kids. That movie that won Best Picture at the Oscars only had a little over a million dollars in ticket sales at the box office, and they rereleased it with free admission just to try to promote it for the Oscar votes.

It actually happened in "The Last Jedi". For some reason, they felt it necessary to ignore 30+ years of Star Wars canon and literature and not only chose to lazily re-shoot an updated version of Star Wars ("The Force Awakens"), but also shoot two more movies that just destroyed the franchise for older fans like me. All in an attempt to pander to a Disney audience.

Like the recent "Matrix Resurrections" movie, those three new Star Wars movies...shouldn't have been made.

Last edited:
Who are you going to bank your future on?
Heroes from the 1970s who are in their late 70s now or a new set of action heroes for future films.

They were supposed to hand off the Star Wars torch
Handing off the Star Wars torch isn't a problem, or any other "torch".
It is the way it is done. Why, when introducing the new hero, is it necessary to reduce the past one to something ugly, weak and shows no hint of past character?
Why would you not want the new one to learn something good from the past one? To, as you say, carry the torch? Rather than the new one making the past hero look like a fool?

There is a message here. And it is clear.
Old heroes, get to be heroes through hard work, determination and consistently doing the right thing. That was the old message given to young audiences. The new messages is "there is nothing to learn from the past, we are better" and the new heroes, don't get to be heroes in the same way. They just magically get to be super awesome.

They were supposed to hand it off to the unworthy?

Don’t blame me
Star Wars has sucked for 40 years

The fact that they can’t come up with a worthy script or character development cripples them

But they still get millions of morons who refuse to give it up

Sequels are an easy way to make a quick buck without the need for bunch of marketing etc etc. Some might argue that big screen movies are functionally extinct anyway. This is about the only way they can get butts in the seats---sequels and animated movies for kids. That movie that won Best Picture at the Oscars only had a little over a million dollars in ticket sales at the box office, and they rereleased it with free admission just to try to promote it for the Oscar votes.
We are in the days of streaming. The movies theaters like everything else in this country are done. You won't even be able to watch free tv in the coming years due to streaming.

Don’t blame me
Star Wars has sucked for 40 years

The fact that they can’t come up with a worthy script or character development cripples them

But they still get millions of morons who refuse to give it up
This isn't about Star Wars, that was only one example.

The purpose of this is to tear down Western Societies and make them question their own existence.

Handing off the Star Wars torch isn't a problem, or any other "torch".
It is the way it is done. Why, when introducing the new hero, is it necessary to reduce the past one to something ugly, weak and shows no hint of past character?
Why would you not want the new one to learn something good from the past one? To, as you say, carry the torch? Rather than the new one making the past hero look like a fool?

There is a message here. And it is clear.
Old heroes, get to be heroes through hard work, determination and consistently doing the right thing. That was the old message given to young audiences. The new messages is "there is nothing to learn from the past, we are better" and the new heroes, don't get to be heroes in the same way. They just magically get to be super awesome.
Like how Obi Juan Kenobi passed the torch to Luke. That was done right!

Forum List

Back