Why I support reparations — and all conservatives should

IM2

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 11, 2015
This speaks for itself.

Like most conservatives, I’ve scoffed at the idea of reparations or a formal apology for slavery. I did not own slaves, so why would I support my government using my tax dollars for reparations or issuing an apology? Further, no one in the United States has been legally enslaved since 1865, so why are Black people today owed anything more than the same freedoms and opportunities that I enjoy?

I remain unconvinced that an apology would have much real value, but the more substantive notion of reparations is worth discussing. In fact, it could be argued that the idea fits within the conservative philosophy. We’ll come back to that. But it is undeniable that White people have disproportionately benefitted from both the labor and the legacy of slavery, and — crucially — will continue to do so for generations to come.

When slavery was abolished after a bloody civil war, African Americans were dispersed into a world that was overtly hostile to them. Reconstruction efforts were bitterly resisted by most Southern Whites, and attempts to educate and employ former slaves happened only in fits and starts. The government even reneged on its “40 acres and a mule” pledge. After slavery, prejudice and indifference continued to fuel social and economic disparity.

The result is unsurprising. As noted by scholars A. Kirsten Mullen and William A. Darity Jr., co-authors of “From Here to Equality: Reparations for Black Americans in the Twenty-First Century,” data from the 2016 Survey of Consumer Finances showed that median Black household net worth averaged $17,600 — a little more than one-tenth of median White net worth. As Mullen and Darity write, “white parents, on average, can provide their children with wealth-related intergenerational advantages to a far greater degree than black parents. When parents offer gifts to help children buy a home, avoid student debt, or start a business, those children are more able to retain and build on their wealth over their own lifetimes.”

Black author and activist Randall Robinson has argued that even laws such as those on affirmative action “will never close the economic gap. This gap is structural. … blacks, even middle-class blacks, have no paper assets to speak of. They may be salaried, but they’re only a few months away from poverty if they should lose those jobs, because … they’ve had nothing to hand down from generation to generation because of the ravages of discrimination and segregation, which were based in law until recently.”

In addition to the discrepancy in inherited wealth, even conservatives should be able to acknowledge that Whites enjoy generational associations in the business world, where who you know often counts more than what you know — a reality based not so much on overt racism as on employment and promotion

This speaks for itself.

Like most conservatives, I’ve scoffed at the idea of reparations or a formal apology for slavery. I did not own slaves, so why would I support my government using my tax dollars for reparations or issuing an apology? Further, no one in the United States has been legally enslaved since 1865, so why are Black people today owed anything more than the same freedoms and opportunities that I enjoy?

I remain unconvinced that an apology would have much real value, but the more substantive notion of reparations is worth discussing. In fact, it could be argued that the idea fits within the conservative philosophy. We’ll come back to that. But it is undeniable that White people have disproportionately benefitted from both the labor and the legacy of slavery, and — crucially — will continue to do so for generations to come.

When slavery was abolished after a bloody civil war, African Americans were dispersed into a world that was overtly hostile to them. Reconstruction efforts were bitterly resisted by most Southern Whites, and attempts to educate and employ former slaves happened only in fits and starts. The government even reneged on its “40 acres and a mule” pledge. After slavery, prejudice and indifference continued to fuel social and economic disparity.

The result is unsurprising. As noted by scholars A. Kirsten Mullen and William A. Darity Jr., co-authors of “From Here to Equality: Reparations for Black Americans in the Twenty-First Century,” data from the 2016 Survey of Consumer Finances showed that median Black household net worth averaged $17,600 — a little more than one-tenth of median White net worth. As Mullen and Darity write, “white parents, on average, can provide their children with wealth-related intergenerational advantages to a far greater degree than black parents. When parents offer gifts to help children buy a home, avoid student debt, or start a business, those children are more able to retain and build on their wealth over their own lifetimes.”

Black author and activist Randall Robinson has argued that even laws such as those on affirmative action “will never close the economic gap. This gap is structural. … blacks, even middle-class blacks, have no paper assets to speak of. They may be salaried, but they’re only a few months away from poverty if they should lose those jobs, because … they’ve had nothing to hand down from generation to generation because of the ravages of discrimination and segregation, which were based in law until recently.”

In addition to the discrepancy in inherited wealth, even conservatives should be able to acknowledge that Whites enjoy generational associations in the business world, where who you know often counts more than what you know — a reality based not so much on overt racism as on employment and promotion

The government even reneged on its “40 acres and a mule” pledge.

Link?

data from the 2016 Survey of Consumer Finances showed that median Black household net worth averaged $17,600 — a little more than one-tenth of median White net worth.

Yeah, the Great Society really fucked up the black family.

“white parents, on average, can provide their children with wealth-related intergenerational advantages to a far greater degree than black parents.

Finish school and don't have kids before you're married.
I just provided black children more, on average, than their parents.

This speaks for itself.

So you found a "Conservative" who agrees that you are ill educated, lazy, and a leech. I'll send you $50 if you leave this board.

Far as I know, by federal law, a black person in America can live anywhere he or she wants.
Attend any university in any field of study they choose, provided they have the grades.
Work at any job or career they are qualified in, and make as much money as their abilities allow them.
Buy a house in any neighborhood, provided they can afford it.
Travel and visit any place in the country.
Eat in any restaurant, and stay at any hotel in all 50 states.
Start and operate a business and open a store.
Join any branch of the military, become a policeman or fireman or even the President.

But unfortunately, there are black racists like IM2 that keep telling other black people they are still oppressed victims of systematic racism, who can't function unless white people keep giving them free monetary handouts like reparations. ... :cuckoo:

Last edited:
This speaks for itself.

You should have given them your address, I'm sure they would all mail you a check after reading you post.

1619221333886.png

Paid all I'm gonna' pay.

*****SMILE*****

:)

This speaks for itself.

You support reparations because you're a fucking looter. who doesn't have the balls to actually go out and steal from people.

cotton.jpg

This speaks for itself.

You support reparations because you're a fucking looter. who doesn't have the balls to actually go out and steal from people.

View attachment 483244
You can just shut your mouth white boy because the person in the OP is one of your fellow republicans.

This speaks for itself.

View attachment 483244
You can just shut your mouth white boy because the person in the OP is one of your fellow republicans.
Fuck off, fucking coward....You want white people in suits to do your looting for you.

P.S...I'm not a republican, knuckle dragger.

This speaks for itself.

View attachment 483244
This will come as a shock to you, but Republicans are not one monolithic hive mind.

Prediction: You will not accept this, and will mindlessly lash out with some nonsense that will boil down to NUH UH!!

Save it. Not interested.

This speaks for itself.

View attachment 483244
This will come as a shock to you, but Republicans are not one monolithic hive mind.

Prediction: You will not accept this, and will mindlessly lash out with some nonsense that will boil down to NUH UH!!

Save it. Not interested.
I know what republicans are, you guys seem unable to understand thats why most of of us support democrats.

This speaks for itself.

View attachment 483244

Save it. Not interested.
I know what republicans are, you guys seem unable to understand thats why most of of us support democrats.

Are you a junkie?

Forum List

Back