Why I don't post a lot.

Ray9

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2016
I am 75. Today I will go to the gym and do upper body workouts for an hour as I do seven days a week. I do eight stations with fifty reps at medium weight on nautilus machines as I have done since 1983. Then I will come home and eat a small meal. I will then punp up the tires on my road bike, a Cannondale Super Six, that I paid $5,000 for. I put on some special wheels that set me back $2,000 each. I do this because an expensive racing bike is much cheaper than triple bypass surgery or a heart transplant.

I quit weed in 1974 and tobacco in 1976. I ran 70 miles per week beginning in 1973 and was running 10k's in 30 minutes before stress fractures became an issue. I was already exerimenting with a bike becuse I wanted to do triathelons which I rejected due to time constraints.

I raced bikes often and have broken both my collar bones twice, a leg, an elbow, and I have had seven concussions. I gave up racing in the early 1990's but not cycling. I still ride fifty miles a day in the summer months. It is amazing how quickly the vascular pathways in your legs come back even after a winter off riding stationary bikes or walking on a treadmill.

My resting heartrate was 53 the last time I saw a doctor. She said she would guess I am 50 because my hair is white. I used to ride with a local club but Covid destoyed that so I ride alone now fighting for space on the roads with cars.

When I was still working I would ride until after dark with lights but now that I am retired I ride three hours a day and with the gym it is like a part time job. The economy is in ruins and my retirement may not be completely safe so returning to work is not off the table. My schoolmates and relatives are dropping like flies and this saddens me. They are being replaced with people who either don't or can't think. I took a road less traveled and it has made all the difference. It is a choice I do not regret.

The gym is waiting.

Last edited:
I am 75. Today I will go to the gym and do upper body workouts for an hour as I do seven days a week. I do eight stations with fifty reps at medium weight on nautilus machines as I have done since 1983. Then I will come home and eat a small meal. I will then punp up the tires on my road bike, a Cannondale Super Six, that I paid $5,000 for. I put on some special wheels that set me back $2,000 each. I do this because an expensive racing bike is much cheaper than triple bypass surgery or a heart transplant.

I quit weed in 1974 and tobacco in 1976. I ran 70 miles per week beginning in 1973 and was running 10k's in 30 minutes before stress fractures became an issue. I was already exerimenting with a bike becuse I wanted to do triathelons which I rejected due to time constraints.

I raced bikes often and have broken both my collar bones twice, a leg, an elbow, and I have had seven concussions. I gave up racing in the early 1990's but not cycling. I still ride fifty miles a day in the summer months. It is amazing how quickly the vascular pathways in your legs come back even after a winter off riding stationary bikes or walking on a treadmill.

My resting heartrate was 53 the last time I saw a doctor. She said she would guess I am 50 because my hair is white. I used to ride with a local club but Covid destoyed that so I ride alone now fighting for space on the roads with cars.

When I was still working I would ride until after dark with lights but now that I am retired I ride three hours a day and with the gym it is like a part time job. The economy is in ruins and my retirement may not be completely safe so returning to work is not off the table. My schoolmates and relatives are dropping like flies and this saddens me. They are being replaced with people who either don't or can't think. I took a road less traveled and it has made all the difference. It is a choice I do not regret.

The gym is waiting.
Congratulations. That requires incredible discipline.

The gym is waiting.
Good for you. Longevity in your parents?

People tell me my grandpa or father lived to 90 smoking 2 packs a day........Sure but he was in shit health for 20 yrs and on O2 the last 5

I'm 55 & overweight, but started plant based vegan eating, biking & weightlifting 4 months ago, Everything was great for a ~month, then hair started falling out, shoulder hurting then pain all over. So I stopped for a while.

Now I eat mostly vegan with 4 ounces of fish or meat a day. Everything was great again until I crashed my bike. So now I'm laid up with concussion, torn knee, rotator cuff & fallen arch. So have stopped all the working out, but keeping diet.

Once I get EXPENSIVE fix up, I will just stick to the diet, weight machines & walking.

Good luck on the rest of your journey. The alternative to outliving your classmates is not as fun. I wouldn’t be too hard on future generations. They are smarter than the prior generations and will be just fine.

I am 67 and follow a strict workout regimen, myself.

I work all day, and when I arrive home I always do sets of arm curls involving vessels filled with amber liquid, the weight of the liquid gradually diminishing with each curl. When the weight falls below a certain threshold, I refill the vessel and begin the process anew.

I call my workout routine IPA, which stands for Impressive Physique Augmentation.

You believe him?
You haven't seen his pics?

main-qimg-91cfa8d50d0156cd39ad7d12565e4447-c

My at rest rate is 64, but I don't do exercise regimens, just work round the place. Smoked two or three packs a day since age 13, quit a few years ago with the help that 'Vaping' stuff, then quit that too a year after the cigs. Made me put on 30 pounds so now I diet to lose it and walk a couple miles early in the a.m. I feel great, thought the cigs would have bad long term effects but so far my wind and stamina are good enough for what I do and everything tastes better now. I can still do better than my weight in bar fights and have all my teeth.

I'm 55 & overweight, but started plant based vegan eating, biking & weightlifting 4 months ago, Everything was great for a ~month, then hair started falling out, shoulder hurting then pain all over. So I stopped for a while.

Now I eat mostly vegan with 4 ounces of fish or meat a day. Everything was great again until I crashed my bike. So now I'm laid up with concussion, torn knee, rotator cuff & fallen arch. So have stopped all the working out, but keeping diet.

Once I get EXPENSIVE fix up, I will just stick to the diet, weight machines & walking.

You aren't the first nor will you be the last to get all gung ho and end up worse off instead of just taking it easy and in moderation. Wlaking is just fine past a certain age. I used play football and did a lot of weights and heavy lifting, but that isn't good for you later in life if you were excessive about it, since its hard to keep up the regimen past a certain age. Slack and flabby muscle weights a lot more than fat does.

I'm 65. I mow my lawn with a push-mower. It takes me 3 hours from start to finish. Been doing that for 33 years no matter how hot or humid. This is to say nothing of the trimming and raking and trimming and raking before mowing can happen

I also shovel snow with a snow shovel. My driveway is 360 feet long. Been doing that for 33 years. Resting heart rate is 63.

The gym is waiting.
Very awesome! I'm wondering if someone was pestering you to post more.

I rode my racing bike daily for YEARS
Then came menopause and back pain

I bought a hybrid
Love it
I am all for e-bikes. It is getting people out there that would not otherwise have done it. I am a dedicated roadie but a lot of my old riding buddies have gone off-road with e-bikes and love it.

The gym is waiting.
Good job, Mr. Ray!

The gym is waiting.
That's the best humblebrag I've ever read on this forum.
Cannondale makes great bikes, although I'm a Cervelo guy, having an aluminum Soloist with Shimano drivetrain, and a full carbon S3 with SRAM drivetrain (I also have an old school Mercier with a Campagnolo setup that doesn't get rode much.)

Good luck on finding a job, a lot of people are hiring.

Forum List

Back