Why I don't eat steak anymore.

Woodznutz

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2021
Steak lacks taste, not tender.

I blame this on the change from Hereford cattle to Angus. I'm sure I can get a good steak at a steakhouse, but the steaks I buy at my supermarket are flavorless and tough. So sad.

The good ones are $20 to $30 a pound and not for the working class. Only available at Cost.. There's no chance of steaks, beef being taken up by the right as an issue of the political divide.

Have a hamburger and make that symbolic of the right's preference.

The good ones are $20 to $30 a pound and not for the working class. Only available at Cost.. There's no chance of steaks, beef being taken up by the right as an issue of the political divide.

Have a hamburger and make that symbolic of the right's preference.

There ya go, mucking up a perfectly good thread for politics and nonsense.

Fat and marbling, how much and what method it's cooked, and cut of meat all contribute to tenderness. Breed may play a part in there too. More marbling, less cook time of meat from the rib or loin is more tender. Also, temp of the meat before cooking. Anything cooked at a higher temp, such as grilling or broiling, should have time to rest after cooking.

Fat and marbling may also contribute to flavor to some degree.

If ya ask me, true grass fed beef (cows raised on grass pastures their whole lives) has alot more flavor (more of a tangy taste) than what passes for 'grain' fed sold in stores. Don't be too fooled if it's labeled as 'grass fed' cause it's often finished on grain to produce a more mild taste.

One set back with true grass fed beef, is that it has less fat & marbling, and not quite as tender.

I blame this on the change from Hereford cattle to Angus. I'm sure I can get a good steak at a steakhouse, but the steaks I buy at my supermarket are flavorless and tough. So sad.
Obviously not getting your beef out west....Nearly all grass fed and finished.

Whenever I go skiing in Utah, I hit the reduced section at the Smith's and score tenderloins....Great grilling and flavor in the summer.

Lotsa ways to add flavor and make steak tender.

Going to try London broil in the ninja speedi on the sous vide function tonight...

I used to think that too, before I learned how to cook.

What has gone on though since the early 80's is upgrading. What used to be called select grade is now USDA Choice, and what used to be called USDA Choice is now graded Prime. My grandpa was a butcher and I cut plenty of meat when I was a kid to make a few bucks.

It started about the same time the whole "dietary fat = bad" fake news media big lie. Around the same time they started selling skim milk and 2% milk for the same price are whole milk even though they have stripped most of it's nutrition out to use in other products.

I used to think that too, before I learned how to cook.

What has gone on though since the early 80's is upgrading. What used to be called select grade is now USDA Choice, and what used to be called USDA Choice is now graded Prime. My grandpa was a butcher and I cut plenty of meat when I was a kid to make a few bucks.

It started about the same time the whole "dietary fat = bad" fake news media big lie. Around the same time they started selling skim milk and 2% milk for the same price are whole milk even though they have stripped most of it's nutrition out to use in other products.
I was a retail meat cutter for 15 years, from 1960-1975. The difference came when ranchers changed breeds from Herefords to Angus.

All I know is how to pick out a good steak, how to prepare a steak for cooking, how to cook the steak and then how to let the steak rest.
All of those things have way-way more to do with how good a steak taste than anything else.

You can so easily ruin even the highest quality meats, but you can also take a mediocre quality steak and bring it to life.

This.

If you find steak to be flavorless you either don't know how to cook a steak or don't know how to pick out a steak.
You're talking to a person who has cut, trimmed, packaged and sold thousands of steaks, and has cooked and eaten thousands as well.

Even the ground beef is no good as it is laced with sinewy 'shank meat'.

I used to get all my meats at Whole Foods, but there’s not much of a difference between them and Aldi.
I talked to a guy at aldi buying grassfed hamburger,, he said hes bought it at just about every store in town and aldi had the best,,

You're talking to a person who has cut, trimmed, packaged and sold thousands of steaks, and has cooked and eaten thousands as well.

Even the ground beef is no good as it is laced with sinewy 'shank meat'.
Yep, everyone on the internet is an expert.

At least until they say something that shows you they aren't.

I don't eat it because of steakhouse syndrome---a fancy way to say it turn the volume on my GERD up to 11-- but a lot of it boils down to how it is cooked.

Forum List

Back