Why does evil exist?

If you want to experience light and darkness if you need to learn the difference visit Yad Vashem in Jerusalem. Visitors are welcome free of charge. Inside the Holocaust memorial you feel the darkness. Outside on the hilltop you are in the light again. If you have been there you understand what I am saying.

Here on Earth things are very different. We overthrew Saddam at cost 10s of thousands of Iraqi lives. Our soldiers killed their soldiers. Which side was moral and which was immoral?
Saddam's regime was evil to be sure.
No doubt but were the Iraqi soldiers (drafted?) fighting to defend their country also evil? Were the soldiers that fought under Obama evil while those that fought under Trump were not? What about the reverse?
State your point, please. You seem to think that something relative to the topic is obvious.
I thought I had but here goes. If morality is absolute and two people are on opposite sides trying to kill the other then:
  • one is evil and one is good
  • both are evil
  • both are good

You don't seem to grasp the ontology of the matter. Either an absolute, universal and, therefore, objective standard of moral good exists or it doesn't. It's existence and primacy would not be subject to the whims of situational ethics or attitudes, and the exact nature of any given act, good or bad, would be determined by that standard. You just unwittingly made the very distinction between good and evil, which is inescapable, howbeit, unwittingly. In any event, are you saying that the killing of another human being is necessarily evil?
"are you saying that the killing of another human being is necessarily evil?"

Yes and No. In wartime, it depends on which side of the barrel you're on. In peacetime, it is just the opposite.

Why do you say you've never experienced goodness?
I may have hastily misspoke. I've had tacos to die for.

Laughing Smiley.png

Why does god allow evil? because humans choose it.
I think the concepts of good and evil are too simplistic to be of use. I don't know anyone who was completely good or evil. Hitler loved the German people and did what he did for them. To his victims he was evil but if he had won the war Germany would have benefited greatly and he probably be viewed as a savior. I'm in no way defending what he did, just using him to explore the extremes. MLK is viewed as a great liberator of Blacks, a good thing, but the Southern Whites of his day viewed him as a destroyer of their way of life.

This world is not black and white, it is a rainbow.

So there's no moral absolute except the absolute that there's no moral absolute?! You unwittingly made an inherently contradictory, indeed, self-negating assertion, essentially proving that the opposite, i.e., that the positive, is true. Relativism is rank irrationality. The essence of evil—the essence of all sin— is irrationality.
I don't know of any place in the universe where the fundamental laws of physics don't apply. Those are absolutes. Morality is just the opposite as there are likely no two places where morality is exactly the same. Even in the US we have Red and Blue states.

You can construct your semantic Mobius Strip but that is just an example of irrationality.

The laws of physics break sown when applied to a singularity.

good and evil are human constructs and do not exist outside of the human experience

I think the concepts of good and evil are too simplistic to be of use. I don't know anyone who was completely good or evil. Hitler loved the German people and did what he did for them. To his victims he was evil but if he had won the war Germany would have benefited greatly and he probably be viewed as a savior. I'm in no way defending what he did, just using him to explore the extremes. MLK is viewed as a great liberator of Blacks, a good thing, but the Southern Whites of his day viewed him as a destroyer of their way of life.

So there's no moral absolute except the absolute that there's no moral absolute?! You unwittingly made an inherently contradictory, indeed, self-negating assertion, essentially proving that the opposite, i.e., that the positive, is true. Relativism is rank irrationality. The essence of evil—the essence of all sin— is irrationality.
I don't know of any place in the universe where the fundamental laws of physics don't apply. Those are absolutes. Morality is just the opposite as there are likely no two places where morality is exactly the same. Even in the US we have Red and Blue states.

You can construct your semantic Mobius Strip but that is just an example of irrationality.

No the laws of physics do not break down just because we don't understand what the laws are. We didn't fully understand the laws of physics for objects in motion until Einstein but that doesn't mean they didn't exist before his time.

No the laws of physics do not break down just because we don't understand what the laws are. We didn't fully understand the laws of physics for objects in motion until Einstein but that doesn't mean they didn't exist before his time.

so you're talking about laws of physics that we don't know ?

If we don't know those laws how do we know they hold up?

or are you just assuming they do?

and that raises an interesting point. Just because we don't know how the universe came into being why do you assume that some invisible supernatural all powerful being was responsible ?

and that raises an interesting point. Just because we don't know how the universe came into being why do you assume that some invisible supernatural all powerful being was responsible ?
We know there are law we don't understand yet but we have no evidence that, whatever they are, they are different in different galaxies. Without evidence to the contrary, I'll have to believe what I can see.

As to creation, I'm agnostic. I really don't know how it came to be so it may be purely natural it may not. I don't assume a supernatural cause, I'm fine with waiting for evidence one way or the other.

We know there are law we don't understand yet but we have no evidence that, whatever they are, they are different in different galaxies. Without evidence to the contrary, I'll have to believe what I can see.

As to creation, I'm agnostic. I really don't know how it came to be so it may be purely natural it may not. I don't assume a supernatural cause, I'm fine with waiting for evidence one way or the other.

The laws of physics aren't different in different galaxies. if they were then we could not predict the movement of those galaxies and the stars within them.

good and evil are human constructs and do not exist outside of the human experience
that is not true, all beings display similarity in constructs of behavior with a deference for definitive results.

which beings? non humans?
all physiological beings, fauna and flora - exhibit the same equivalencies of rational justification for their life pursuits. good vs evil - right vs wrong.

a pursuit of spiritual liberation for some far exceeding humanity in fulfillment.

Once you experience Yad Vashem you will understand the dark side from the light.

that is not true, all beings display similarity in constructs of behavior with a deference for definitive results.

all physiological beings, fauna and flora - exhibit the same equivalencies of rational justification for their life pursuits. good vs evil - right vs wrong.

a pursuit of spiritual liberation for some far exceeding humanity in fulfillment.

A dog is incapable of processing whether its behavior is "good" or "evil". A dog cannot rationalize its behavior.

Is a tree that casts shade on other trees preventing their growth "evil" ?

Good and evil do not exist outside of the human intellect. We have invented these concepts in our efforts to understand human behavior.

Forum List

Back