Why aren't environmentalists upset that 1 million barrels will be traveling every day from Vancouver to Asia on the open ocean?

You should actually read what I wrote. Instead of responding to something I didn't write.

Ding: "As for your ASSUMPTION that oil from Canada's oil sand are corrosive, I don't believe you know what you are talking about." ...
surada: "Its NOT an assumption.. Crude is graded .. Tar Sands are heavy, sour and corrosive."

Sounds like surada is responding to something you wrote ... not that I agree but surada's statement is in line with the article in the OP ... extraction and clean-up will cost more than the oil is worth ...
She never disputed anything I wrote in my previous post. All she did was repeat what had already been addressed. She has offered no evidence in support of her opinion.

As for the economic viability of producing the tar sands, I think it is safe to say that the operators who invested in the project and their investors who paid for the project would disagree with you.

Tar sands are deeply discounted.. about $29 a barrel, The Keystone export pipeline would make more money for the Canadians and the Chinese at the expense of the US.
And yet the producers are still producing from the fields. If they were losing money they would not be doing it.

Again... this has nothing to do with the benefit we get from importing oil from our neighbors.

We import oil from Mexico and Canada ... with about 7% coming from OPEC.

The Keystone pipeline tar sands are strictly for sale oversea. They just don't pay any taxes in the US.
I believe you have been misinformed about the Keystone Pipeline. Do you have a link that supports that The Keystone pipeline tar sands are strictly for sale oversea?

View attachment 474751

The Keystone Pipeline system consists of the operational Phase I, Phase II, and Phase III, the Gulf Coast Pipeline Project. A fourth, proposed pipeline expansion segment Phase IV, Keystone XL, failed to receive necessary permits from the United States federal government in 2015. Construction of Phase III, from Cushing, Oklahoma, to Nederland, Texas, in the Gulf Coast area, began in August 2012 as an independent economic utility.[notes 1][22] Phase III was opened on January 22, 2014, completing the pipeline path from Hardisty, Alberta to Nederland, Texas.[16] The Keystone XL Pipeline Project (Phase IV) revised proposal in 2012 consists of a new 36-inch (910 mm) pipeline from Hardisty, Alberta, through Montana and South Dakota to Steele City, Nebraska, to "transport of up to 830,000 barrels per day (132,000 m3/d) of crude oil from the Western Canadian Sedimentary Basin in Alberta, Canada, and from the Williston Basin (Bakken) region in Montana and North Dakota, primarily to refineries in the Gulf Coast area".[12] The Keystone XL pipeline segments were intended to allow American crude oil to enter the XL pipelines at Baker, Montana, on their way to the storage and distribution facilities at Cushing, Oklahoma. Cushing is a major crude oil marketing/refining and pipeline hub.[23][24]

Jesus, that's the whole point of by-passing the refineries in the Midwest that have been retooled to handle heavy, sour sludge to go to the Free Trade zones in Houston and Port Arthur. That's been the point since 2011.

It's a little more complicated than that for refineries. They need consistent feed stock. You should just admit you are opposed to production of petroleum from the tar sands in Alberta for environmental reasons rather than trying to justify your opposition on things you don't understand and have rationalized.

I know about refineries. About 12 years ago several Midwest refineries were retooled at considerable expense to handle refining Tar sands.
Ok, how much oil from tar sands are they refining?

I worked in the oil and gas business for 37 years as an engineer and from what I have seen you argue tells me you don't know much about pipelines or the oil business. And you should be ashamed by your silly and dishonest arguments. In fact, your latest argument - imminent domain is even sillier than your they shouldn't do this because it's not economic argument. You are parroting the arguments of environmentalists.

... as you parrot the oil industry's arguments ...

What I find offensive is your complete trust in government to do right by the environment over the interests of big business ... in 37 years of experience, you've never seen abuses, cheating or flagrant violations poo-poo'ed off by government inspectors? ... that's nuts, or should I say blind ... I was a landlord for about that long and it's obvious the government is heavily tilted towards landlords ... I took advantage but that doesn't mean I ignored the unfairness of the industry ...

If reclaiming strip mines was easy and cheap ... insurance companies would be jumping at the opportunity to underwrite those operations, that they don't is a clear sign it's too expensive, better to let the tax-payers pay ... Canada has a particularly poor history of this, just look at all the old strip mines ...

OTOH ... I'm fine with the pipelines ... properly operated and maintained, these are as safe as anything in our modern society ... and my understanding is that all blue-water oil tankers are double-hulled today ... but this is all pointless without oversight ... if no one's checking, business will ignore safety regulations in return for higher profits ... I don't believe for one second in your 37 years of experience you've never seen this ...
Complete trust? That's a stretch. What I have seen in my 37 years is continuous improvement. So your argument about what used to occur is not necessarily valid for what does occur now.

You should actually read what I wrote. Instead of responding to something I didn't write.

Ding: "As for your ASSUMPTION that oil from Canada's oil sand are corrosive, I don't believe you know what you are talking about." ...
surada: "Its NOT an assumption.. Crude is graded .. Tar Sands are heavy, sour and corrosive."

Sounds like surada is responding to something you wrote ... not that I agree but surada's statement is in line with the article in the OP ... extraction and clean-up will cost more than the oil is worth ...
She never disputed anything I wrote in my previous post. All she did was repeat what had already been addressed. She has offered no evidence in support of her opinion.

As for the economic viability of producing the tar sands, I think it is safe to say that the operators who invested in the project and their investors who paid for the project would disagree with you.

Tar sands are deeply discounted.. about $29 a barrel, The Keystone export pipeline would make more money for the Canadians and the Chinese at the expense of the US.
And yet the producers are still producing from the fields. If they were losing money they would not be doing it.

Again... this has nothing to do with the benefit we get from importing oil from our neighbors.

The Keystone pipeline tar sands are strictly for sale oversea. They just don't pay any taxes in the US.
I believe you have been misinformed about the Keystone Pipeline. Do you have a link that supports that The Keystone pipeline tar sands are strictly for sale oversea?

View attachment 474751

The Keystone Pipeline system consists of the operational Phase I, Phase II, and Phase III, the Gulf Coast Pipeline Project. A fourth, proposed pipeline expansion segment Phase IV, Keystone XL, failed to receive necessary permits from the United States federal government in 2015. Construction of Phase III, from Cushing, Oklahoma, to Nederland, Texas, in the Gulf Coast area, began in August 2012 as an independent economic utility.[notes 1][22] Phase III was opened on January 22, 2014, completing the pipeline path from Hardisty, Alberta to Nederland, Texas.[16] The Keystone XL Pipeline Project (Phase IV) revised proposal in 2012 consists of a new 36-inch (910 mm) pipeline from Hardisty, Alberta, through Montana and South Dakota to Steele City, Nebraska, to "transport of up to 830,000 barrels per day (132,000 m3/d) of crude oil from the Western Canadian Sedimentary Basin in Alberta, Canada, and from the Williston Basin (Bakken) region in Montana and North Dakota, primarily to refineries in the Gulf Coast area".[12] The Keystone XL pipeline segments were intended to allow American crude oil to enter the XL pipelines at Baker, Montana, on their way to the storage and distribution facilities at Cushing, Oklahoma. Cushing is a major crude oil marketing/refining and pipeline hub.[23][24]

Jesus, that's the whole point of by-passing the refineries in the Midwest that have been retooled to handle heavy, sour sludge to go to the Free Trade zones in Houston and Port Arthur. That's been the point since 2011.

It's a little more complicated than that for refineries. They need consistent feed stock. You should just admit you are opposed to production of petroleum from the tar sands in Alberta for environmental reasons rather than trying to justify your opposition on things you don't understand and have rationalized.

I know about refineries. About 12 years ago several Midwest refineries were retooled at considerable expense to handle refining Tar sands.

Tar Sands... bitumen, is mixed with sand, clay and water.. and production has increased steadily over the years.. Last time I looked it was about 4% of oil production but its sure does a lot of damage to the landscape.. Its not like a Christmas Tree.

7496416686_14c5c7535b_o.jpg

View attachment 474751

Tar Sands... bitumen, is mixed with sand, clay and water.. and production has increased steadily over the years.. Last time I looked it was about 4% of oil production but its sure does a lot of damage to the landscape.. Its not like a Christmas Tree.

The question I am asking you is how much bitumen are the midwestern refineries processing now?

Because your point is those refineries are being bypassed so Canadian oil can be sent to China, right? That it won't even be processed at any American refinery, right?

View attachment 474751

The question I am asking you is how much bitumen are the midwestern refineries processing now?

Because your point is those refineries are being bypassed so Canadian oil can be sent to China, right? That it won't even be processed at any American refinery, right?

I don't know.. Here's information from 2013. I never said it was being sent to China from the Free Trade Zone.. This is about specialty products sold abroad.

Over 70 percent of all tar sands crude refined in the U.S. was processed in the Midwest refining region known as PADD 2 (see Table 2). Over one-third of all the crude refined there was sourced from the tar sands.
Refinery Report: New online tool tracks tar sands flows ...
priceofoil.org/2013/12/13/refinery-report-new-online-tool-tracks-tar-sands-flows-north-america/
priceofoil.org/2013/12/13/refinery-report-new-online-tool-tracks-tar-sands-flows-

Tar sand pipelines operate at higher temperatures than conventional crude oil pipelines.

Keystone XL is a tar sands pipeline to export oil out of ...
Dec 20, 2011 · Keystone XL is a tar sands pipeline to export oil out of the United States ... existing Canadian oil pipelines all go to the Midwest, where the only buyer for their crude is the United States ...

View attachment 474751

I don't know.. Here's information from 2013. I never said it was being sent to China from the Free Trade Zone.. This is about specialty products sold abroad.

Over 70 percent of all tar sands crude refined in the U.S. was processed in the Midwest refining region known as PADD 2 (see Table 2). Over one-third of all the crude refined there was sourced from the tar sands.
Refinery Report: New online tool tracks tar sands flows ...
priceofoil.org/2013/12/13/refinery-report-new-online-tool-tracks-tar-sands-flows-north-america/
priceofoil.org/2013/12/13/refinery-report-new-online-tool-tracks-tar-sands-flows-
Ok, now how much spare capacity do they have versus how much spare capacity is at the Gulf coast?

Tar sand pipelines operate at higher temperatures than conventional crude oil pipelines.

Keystone XL is a tar sands pipeline to export oil out of ...
Dec 20, 2011 · Keystone XL is a tar sands pipeline to export oil out of the United States ... existing Canadian oil pipelines all go to the Midwest, where the only buyer for their crude is the United States ...
They aren't pumping straight tar sand oil. Even you have admitted that it is blended. I provided you the link to the "upgrader" plants which blend NGL's from Canadian gas plants. (not Saudi Arabia).

At least you are being honest about your opposition.

It would be nice if you were honest about your support ... I don't think you're so ignorant as to be unaware the CEO of Exxon Inc served as US Secretary of State the first half of the Trump administration ... are you honestly unaware of campaign contributions? ...

But why do you think the Canadian government allows it if they don't believe it can be done without harming the environment?

They need the tax revenues to fund their health care system ... given the choice of protecting the environment and shutting down hospitals, which gets them re-elected? ...

You're not this stupid, why are you pretending to be so? ...

Last edited:

It would be nice if you were honest about your support ... I don't think you're so ignorant as to be unaware the CEO of Exoon Inc served as US Secretary of State the first half of the Trump administration ... are you honestly unaware of campaign contributions? ...

But why do you think the Canadian government allows it if they don't believe it can be done without harming the environment?

They need the tax revenues to fund their health care system ... given the choice of protecting the environment and shutting down hospitals, which gets them re-elected? ...

I absolutely can be stupid at times but I don't believe this is one of those times.

I couldn't be more honest. I never hid my background. Nor have I written anything I do not believe. So fuck you.

For some odd reason you believe I would put oil projects above being a good steward. I happen to believe both can be accomplished at the same time. They are not mutually exclusive. And for the record I have not been defending Keystone as much as refuted Suranda's nonsense about Keystone.

So YOUR position is the Canadian government does not believe these projects can be performed without raping the environment but have chosen to rape the environment to stay in power? Is that correct?

And you believe this without a shred of evidence and you think YOU are being honest? Fuckin' vainglory.

It would be nice if you were honest about your support ... I don't think you're so ignorant as to be unaware the CEO of Exxon Inc served as US Secretary of State the first half of the Trump administration ... are you honestly unaware of campaign contributions? ...
Keystone has been a highly politicized project. I never had anything to do with that. I don't agree that global warming is a problem, so I can't agree with the reason this has become politically charged.

And you believe this without a shred of evidence and you think YOU are being honest? Fuckin' vainglory.

Deepwater Horizon ... Chevron publically stated they use five concrete plugs in their sea floor test wells ... BP only uses one ...

You've told me to fuck off ... thank you ... that's as close as you'll ever admit you're wrong ... those tar sands ain't going anywhere, the longer we wait to exploit that resource, the smaller percentage of revenue will be needed to remediate the land afterwards ... simple economics ...

A quick search found that the Canadian government derives ~10 billion per year from oil and gas from a total tax revenue of ~332 billion per year.

Which amounts to ~ 3% of their total tax base.

So is your position that they need the tax revenues to fund their health care system your final answer?

Deepwater Horizon ... Chevron publically stated they use five concrete plugs in their sea floor test wells ... BP only uses one ...

You've told me to fuck off ... thank you ... that's as close as you'll ever admit you're wrong ... those tar sands ain't going anywhere, the longer we wait to exploit that resource, the smaller percentage of revenue will be needed to remediate the land afterwards ... simple economics ...
Yes, I said, "fuck you" for calling me a liar. I would hope you would do the same. You have a serious case of vainglory going on.

Given that you know nothing about Macondo and I know quite a lot, maybe you would like to take this discussion to the bull ring. Or you could just spout off on something you found from a google search ten minutes ago which you believe is some earth shattering end all discussion moment. It's not. You don't know what happened in that well nor do you understand Chevron's statement in the context of suspending a well for completion versus P&A.

Last edited:

Why don't you read the President's Commission's Report. I already have.

the smaller percentage of revenue will be needed to remediate the land afterwards ... simple economics ...
That's doubtful. If it is as you say - uneconomic to reclaim the land now - it will most likely be uneconomic to do so in the future. Of course the operators and the Canadian government probably disagree with your assessment but then again they also disagree with your assessment that they won't reclaim the land. But what do they know, right? They've only had a bunch of engineers and environmental scientists work this for several years whereas you are an anonymous guy on the internet who thinks he knows more than them. :rolleyes:

Yes, I said, "fuck you" for calling me a liar.

I didn't call you a liar ... I said you're ignorant ... legislative votes are for sale ... and Big Oil happily pays the most ... the Canadian government will do what they're paid to do ... by Big Oil ...

You're not lying, you honestly don't understand this ...

I didn't call you a liar ... I said you're ignorant ... legislative votes are for sale ... and Big Oil happily pays the most ... the Canadian government will do what they're paid to do ... by Big Oil ...

It would be nice if you were honest...
Kinda sounds like you did.

So YOUR position is the Canadian government does not believe these projects can be performed without raping the environment but have chosen to rape the environment to stay in power or to get money from big oil for their campaigns? Is that correct?

My youngest brother was called in after the fact to do an audit of BP's safety compliance on Deepwater Horizon.. What he found was that BP had subbed out safety compliance reporting to a variety of companies that did not communicate with each other.. In other words BP set it up that way for CYA... Further, BP has always been a shitty oil company for the past 70 years that has NO core values.

Forum List

Back