Why are conservatives so obsessed with the border and immigration?

"Why are conservatives so obsessed with the border and immigration?"

It's the consequence of the fear of change and diversity common to most on the right, specificity the unwarranted fear that immigrants manifest some sort of 'threat,' that America will be 'changed' in some manner detrimental to the interests of conservatives.

Much of it has to do with conservative ignorance of, or contempt for, 14th Amendment jurisprudence, where the right to due process of the law is guaranteed to all persons, including those undocumented, as one is not 'illegal' until such time as he has been found guilty of unauthorized access to the country in a court of law.

Nativism has historically been a fundamental component of conservative dogma, dating back to the late 19th Century and hostility toward immigration from Central and Eastern Europe.

Last, and unfortunately, it has to some degree to do with racism and bigotry – those who don't want to see more 'brown people' in the country. Of course this racism is not representative of all conservatives, but it does illustrate the fact that conservative dogma does attract racists, who find refuge among conservative ranks.
Correction, My Personal reasons has to do with this -->
[video]

And Pismoe, most all of the conservatives have also voiced their opinion on not wanting illegals to receive all of our social safety net welfare programs, but allowing all Mexicans that want to come here to work and live.... get a green card visa, allows them to all receive welfare if they means test qualify, and allows all of them to put their children in our schools etc etc etc....

Soooo, if this is all okay for these immigrants to receive, then what is it that stops conservatives from giving them a pathway to citizenship if they want to pursue it?
The people who vote them into office doesn't want it.
The people who pay for the commercials want cheap labor.
The two sets of people disagree and they try to do a compromise that pleases both but in fact pleases neither.

I have noticed one thing lately.
Every time I talk to a conservative friend about ANY topic, it ALWAYS comes back to "sealing the border" and "dealing with those people Obama keeps giving amnesty to."

Is anyone in the US not giving a single crap about the border or immigration?

And why do these conservative friends always use the exact same wording for their indignation? I feel like I'm hearing the text of a speech I missed.
Are you talking about legal immigration or illegal immigration?
There is a difference between the two.

I read on Briebart a couple of months back that the Republican plan is to give every single Mexican that wants to come here and work, a green card and legal means to work... without ever giving them a passage to citizenship.

IS THAT WHAT YOU CONSERVATIVES truly want? All the Mexicans that want to come here and work and LIVE can do so, as long as we give them no pathway to citizenship??????????

So the republicans can SERVE their business masters and give them the cheaper labor they want.....more like SLAVES that they want, by not giving them the opportunity to some day become citizens in the place they live and work their entire life?

If they are all here legally with green cards, they are all eligible for all of our social welfare programs.

Seriously, do you agree with this Republican plan?
And this illustrates well the mindset of most conservatives, keep immigrants from becoming part of America, allow them to work but not participate in the political process.

I read on Briebart a couple of months back that the Republican plan is to give every single Mexican that wants to come here and work, a green card and legal means to work... without ever giving them a passage to citizenship.

IS THAT WHAT YOU CONSERVATIVES truly want? All the Mexicans that want to come here and work and LIVE can do so, as long as we give them no pathway to citizenship??????????

So the republicans can SERVE their business masters and give them the cheaper labor they want.....more like SLAVES that they want, by not giving them the opportunity to some day become citizens in the place they live and work their entire life?

If they are all here legally with green cards, they are all eligible for all of our social welfare programs.

Seriously, do you agree with this Republican plan?
And this illustrates well the mindset of most conservatives, keep immigrants from becoming part of America, allow them to work but not participate in the political process.
Allow them to join the armed forces and die for our country too.

he11 yeah [bad idea] , yeah , allow them to join the military to fight for the USA and when they are in the USA military in sufficient numbers they'll be the Gov Employees that come to your door to confiscate your firearms Slyhunter !!

where did they IMPORT governments military in the past , how well did that work out for the Importers ??

No. Real Conservatives do t want the immigrants in America to begin with.

Yeah , 'care4' , thankyou . Idon't vote repub sin 'gwb' 2nd run but he still won . Course I did vote for Romney out of disgust for you know who . Anyway , I consider moderate repubs like the bushes , McCain, flake , christy to be worse or as bad as the dems .

Needless to say many on the right attempt to contrive and hide behind the facade of 'law and order,' where they seek to propagate the lie that immigration law is 'not being enforced,' when in fact nothing could be further from the truth – the record number of deportations is proof of that.

Consequently the purpose of this facade is the hide the truth of rightist opposition to immigration: the unwarranted fear of change and diversity, and the errant perception of immigrants as some sort of 'threat.'

Needless to say many on the right attempt to contrive and hide behind the facade of 'law and order,' where they seek to propagate the lie that immigration law is 'not being enforced,' when in fact nothing could be further from the truth – the record number of deportations is proof of that.

Consequently the purpose of this facade is the hide the truth of rightist opposition to immigration: the unwarranted fear of change and diversity, and the errant perception of immigrants as some sort of 'threat.'
A deportation order is not a deportation. Just because the court issues a deportation order does not mean that individual got deported. You need to look at the real statistics.

lots of mind readers on the board , I oppose all immigration simply because it cause growth and crowding , simply more people . See California in cities , towns like Lancaster , Palmdale , Mojave , see down town Los Angeles . The diversity if that means tasty food in a roach coach doesn't bother me but dual citizens voting in both the USA and then voting in their foreign lands to promote policies that hurt Americans are not good .

Immigrants take jobs that could go to an american. We should seal the border until every american who wants a job has a job.

Except that Americans are not going to do those jobs for what the illegals are doing them for.

Unless, of course, you're ready to pay $10 for a head of lettuce.

I know I'm not.
Nobody, in America, should have to work for a substandard wage that won't pay the rent and a decent living. Even if it means we pay 10 bucks for a head of lettuce.

If you had to pay ten bucks for a head of lettuce those people making the minimum would still be poor. And their purchasing power would remain the same.
We need to raise import taxes to countries that pay less than an American living wage. Then Big screen TV's would be more expensive and I wouldn't cry if you couldn't afford a big screen tv.

Your logic is that we, Americans, have to tolerate a lifestyle that requires living in dirt hovels like they do in third world countries and thus it sucks and it is wrong. Pay poor people more, make the cost of living more expensive for more well off people. Raising minimum standards does not mean that those making more than the minimum standards have to get increases too.

How stupid do you have to be not to understand that increasing wages increases cost?

Immigrants take jobs that could go to an american. We should seal the border until every american who wants a job has a job.

Except that Americans are not going to do those jobs for what the illegals are doing them for.

I know I'm not.
Nobody, in America, should have to work for a substandard wage that won't pay the rent and a decent living. Even if it means we pay 10 bucks for a head of lettuce.

If you had to pay ten bucks for a head of lettuce those people making the minimum would still be poor. And their purchasing power would remain the same.
We need to raise import taxes to countries that pay less than an American living wage. Then Big screen TV's would be more expensive and I wouldn't cry if you couldn't afford a big screen tv.

Your logic is that we, Americans, have to tolerate a lifestyle that requires living in dirt hovels like they do in third world countries and thus it sucks and it is wrong. Pay poor people more, make the cost of living more expensive for more well off people. Raising minimum standards does not mean that those making more than the minimum standards have to get increases too.

How stupid do you have to be not to understand that increasing wages increases cost?
wages is not the only cost and doesn't always directly correlate to the price of an item. And who cares if it does increase the price, as long as the person making it can't afford to buy it there is a problem.

I know I'm not.

Does that mean that NO ONE in the USA should ever get a raise because the raise, will increase 'prices'?

Increased prices, INFLATION is what keeps capitalism chugging along.... DEFLATION wipes capitalism off the face of the earth.

Inflation keeps people buying, in the now...because if they all wait, they will pay more in the future....thus the need and urgency to "buy now".....

whereas deflation, knowing that tomorrow will bring cheaper prices than today, in the long term, keeps people from buying now and makes them wait, for a better price.....and kills the capitalism machine....

I know I'm not.

Does that mean that NO ONE in the USA should ever get a raise because the raise, will increase 'prices'?

Increased prices, INFLATION is what keeps capitalism chugging along.... DEFLATION wipes capitalism off the face of the earth.

Inflation keeps people buying, in the now...because if they all wait, they will pay more in the future....thus the need and urgency to "buy now".....

whereas deflation, knowing that tomorrow will bring cheaper prices than today, in the long term, keeps people from buying now and makes them wait, for a better price.....and kills the capitalism machine....

There's a difference between getting a raise you earned and having one handed to because bleeding hearts think someone with $7.25/hour skills deserves more than the skills they offer are worth.

There's a difference between getting a raise you earned and having one handed to because bleeding hearts think someone with $7.25/hour skills deserves more than the skills they offer are worth.
Nobody deserves to be paid less than what it cost to live.

Nobody deserves to be paid less than what it cost to live.

Sure they do if the skills they offer are worth what they are being paid.

Those of us with higher skills have to earn what we get and are paid based on the value of those skills. Why should it be any different for the low skilled workers many of whom are the cause of why they have low skills.

Wow!

The Conservatopian anti-worker sentiment is running strong in this thread.

Forum List

Back