Who's The MOST-Productive Ex-President?

Well, Bill Clinton certainly has raised more money from Arab terrorists.

The country improved more due to Carter leaving office, than due to Clinton leaving office. Though it's a close contest.

So I guess it would have to be Carter.

Compared to the contributions of their administration - it's Carter.

But it's really not a fair question. Prior to Carter, most former presidents opted to sort of disappear from the limelight. It was sort of a tradition. So we have a very limited pool to choose from.

Jimmy Carter

Nixon was also very productive after he left office

Jimmy Carter

Was he? Did he find a lot of coins walking up and down the beaches of San Clemente with his baggy old shorts and metal detector?

Sorry, seriously though. I'll confess ignorance - what did he do?

After Watergate, Nixon was a recluse

But he started writing and eventually emerged as an elder statesman advising on foreign policy. While Nixon was a prick, he was very knowledgeable about foreign affairs. While he could never erase his Watergate legacy, he did salvage his reputation somewhat

I think Taft went to the Supreme Court after being President

Jimmy Carter

Was he? Did he find a lot of coins walking up and down the beaches of San Clemente with his baggy old shorts and metal detector?

But he started writing and eventually emerged as an elder statesman advising on foreign policy. While Nixon was a prick, he was very knowledgeable about foreign affairs. While he could never erase his Watergate legacy, he did salvage his reputation somewhat

Nixon was a masterful foreign policy president, perhaps better than FDR. His surprise visit to China was a great coup.

Jimmy Carter

I wasn't a big Nixon fan, but I did respect his foreign policy - well mainly his dealings with China. But I didn't realize he continued his influence.

Good point on Taft as well. Some early presidents went back into Congress too didn't they?

Only John Adams into the House, eight or nine terms; A. Johnson, to the Senate.

I think J.Q. Adams served in the House and Andrew Johnson served in the Senate.
But my vote now goes to Taft. Chief Justice of the Supreme Court

ahh - beat me to it.
Nice work.

Forum List

Back