Whoever Thinks Driverless Cars Will Be Good in the Next 100 Years

No, they are not.

The funny thing is all the people that don't have a clue about how far we have come in "artificial intelligence".
The only scary part is that we are getting to point that AI can not only find a better solution ... But the programmers cannot identify how the AI found it.

You are very gullible.

I won't be around in 100 years so I don't care but I will never trust my safety to a self driving car

If an assailant armed with a rifle or shotgun attacked a woman in a regular car, she wouldn't survive. The driverless car is actually safer in such a situation. If the driver is shot, the car isn't going anyplace. Where do you shoot a driverless car to disable it? And the human passenger can hit the floorboards.

A simple emergency program can be installed to make specific maneuvers. Unless the gunman hits something on the car that completely disables it, the car would perform the maneuver. In the same situation, the human driver has to be upright and able to see to drive. There is a very specific target that is in the same place in every vehicle in the US (with the exception of the very, very few RHD vehicles on the road.

Every time I have heard a car alarm I at least look that way. Most people do. If they see men attacking a woman, they will do something. Sometimes that something would include shooting the scum.
All I need is a shopping car and a rock and she is mine.

Sure, call 911.

Look what it did for the Parkland kids.

You keep mentioning the Parkland kids.

The one who perpetrated that was armed with a semi-auto rifle and did not expect to live. Unless a woman is accompanied by armed body guards and driving an armored vehicle, that sort of assailant will kill her whether she is driving an EV, a sports car or a big SUV.
You are the one claiming that calling 911 will save you with a bad guy beating your head with a rock as you call.

Did I say "as you are getting beaten"? No. But there is obviously a time between when the shopping cart is put behind your car and when the perp has come up to the car, smashed the window, reached in to grab you and then started beating you. That is supposing that the woman is completely unarmed. Even without a gun, a good shot of mace to the face will add a delay.
Back to square one. Shopping cart and a rock is all any robber or rapist needs for a woman in a parking lot in a driverless car.
She cannot get away. The car will not back up into the cart.
Easy prey.

Or an easy way to get shot. And it is such a specific, isolated situation. A bit of programming could fix that very easily. Many of the driverless cars will park themselves and then pull up to the store to pick you up. That removes the entire "dangerous" scenario.

Also, ask any woman if she is extra vigilant when walking to her car alone. Ask her what she does if she sees a guy with an empty shopping cart and a rock standing anywhere near her car.

People driven cars kill people.
Irrefutable fact.

Driverless cars are inevitable.

Get used to it.
Skynet smiles.
Youre still using Big Brother to post. Thought you would be off the grid by now.
Wrong.
Big Brother collects the data I post.
For the roundup coming.
I'll be in the first wave.
Youre becoming psychotic. With the speed of technology they will be transporting you to the funny house in a driverless car.
The speed of technology. Pfffft. We flew to the moon 50 years ago, today we can't even get a man into space.
What are you going to do in space?

No, they are not.

The funny thing is all the people that don't have a clue about how far we have come in "artificial intelligence".
The only scary part is that we are getting to point that AI can not only find a better solution ... But the programmers cannot identify how the AI found it.

You are very gullible.

No, just well read on newer technologies. (plus I have a son who works a very high tech field)

All you need is a shopping cart and a rock and she is yours with a gasoline car too.

Oh, and unless you are planning to abduct her in the shopping cart, you drove to the parking lot. That will stop her from getting away too. Shame about there being cameras in most parking lots, huh?

Oh yeah, the driverless cars have cameras all over them. That will make convicting you pretty easy. Instead of one camera shooting from a distance, you have 8 or 10 covering all angles and close up.
Yeah, no one would think of backing up their car into a shopping cart to flee a rapist. :cuckoo:

Kind of a specific situation you are creating, isn't it? Do you think that will happen more often than someone driving drunk, driving when exhausted or driving while distracted (like texting?)??

If you are willing to stop someone's car, use a rock to smash a car window, and drag a screaming woman out of a car in a public parking lot, you are willing to disable her vehicle in other ways.
Yes, I sure some where and some time a woman will get into her car in a parking lot.
I'm sure millennials will look up from their phones while texting and help the woman. Said no one ever.

Next time you are in a parking lot, hit the emergency button on your remote and see if people don't look. I'm not saying anyone runs to the car, but most people will at least look that way.
See it all the time. Car alarms are background noise these days. You need to get out of your apartment more.

So every time you hear a car alarm, you look around to see how people are reacting?

Well written software is trusted in the Operating Room.
I will not use any device driven by software written by an H1-B.

I won't be around in 100 years so I don't care but I will never trust my safety to a self driving car
I personally cant wait to get one. The first thing I'm going to do is take a nap on my way to my homies house.

and hope that nap doesn't become permanent
You cant live forever and going in your sleep has got to be the best way to go.
Not before you're old and gray

No, just well read on newer technologies. (plus I have a son who works a very high tech field)

AlphaZero AI beats champion chess program after teaching itself in four hours

The program took four hours to teach itself chess well enough to beat a computer program that was designed by humans to win at chess.

Chess is easy to figure out for an AI. I can think further ahead than humans.

The weird part is not that it could figure out how to learn and teach itself ... It was that the programmers couldn't figure out what it did to learn.

The program took four hours to teach itself chess well enough to beat a computer program that was designed by humans to win at chess.

The weird part is not that it could figure out how to learn and teach itself ... It was that the programmers couldn't figure out what it did to learn.

OK thats freaky. Its an AI so the programmers must have given it a learning algorithm. Why cant they figure out why it learned chess?

I personally cant wait to get one. The first thing I'm going to do is take a nap on my way to my homies house.

and hope that nap doesn't become permanent
You cant live forever and going in your sleep has got to be the best way to go.
Not before you're old and gray
No matter how old or gray you are or are not going in your sleep has got to be wonderful.

Seeing that data suggest that they're safer compared to normal cars I'd say with a few decades of testing they should be ready.
Perhaps the time will coincide with the completion of the Mueller "investigation"?

I just read the article. It learned the rules instead of using programming based on human experience in chess. It won off of pure logic. I wonder how it would do against different players? I know I have to switch up my approach depending on the tendencies of the people I play.

OK thats freaky. Its an AI so the programmers must have given it a learning algorithm. Why cant they figure out why it learned chess?

Yeah ... And that's why they matched it against another computer instead of a human.

The program in one computer didn't have the advantage of being a computer.
The only difference was that the AI program didn't "know" what the other program did.

They gave the AI program the basics and the objective ... Along with the ability to change itself.
It taught itself how to play chess.

The weird part (again) ... Is that once the program started learning and teaching itself ... It started doing its own thing ...
And the programmers couldn't figure out what it was doing, why it was doing it or how it helped it learn chess..

Last edited:

Forum List

Back