Whoever Thinks Driverless Cars Will Be Good in the Next 100 Years

I, for one, welcome our new self driving overlords.

"The victim did not come out of nowhere. She's moving on a dark road, but it's an open road, so Lidar (laser) and radar should have detected and classified her" as a human, said Bryant Walker Smith, a University of South Carolina law professor who studies autonomous vehicles.
Smith said the video may not show the complete picture, but "this is strongly suggestive of multiple failures of Uber and its system, its automated system, and its safety driver."

Experts: Uber self-driving system should have spotted woman

Even though the video camera doesn't show the woman crossing the street until it's too late, I suspect the driver's more sensitive naked eye could have seen the woman crossing the street before the camera saw her. But the Hispanic felon in the driverless car wasn't watching the road.

I also suspect there's something about the scene that foiled the lidar, even though I would have expected the driverless car to be able to "see" into the darkness."

Either way, the woman crossing the road is at fault for crossing in the dark in front of an oncoming car that had the right of way.

Its fucking scary.
Technology and the abuse that will come is, period.
Look at that iphone10. The facial recognition technology is AMAZING. But think of how it will be abused..
I understand i am cynical, but i also enjoy reality.

It's safe, but I still think it needs a driver behind the wheel. I think it will be rolled out to be used by Uber and Lyft first. Other companies are in the link below in a variety of forms.

44 Corporations Working On Autonomous Vehicles

What was shocking was the recent accident in Arizona. I don't necessarily agree with what the police chief said about it in that Uber wasn't at fault. It's too preliminary. The technology should have picked it up even if the victim came out in front of the car. The car should have slowed down. The video may excuse the driver, but he could be held responsible if he was using a phone or not paying attention.

Tempe Police Say "No Fault By Uber" In Fatal Crash

Tempe Police Release Disturbing Footage Of Fatal Self-Driving Uber Accident

Last edited:
I, for one, welcome our new self driving overlords.

"The victim did not come out of nowhere. She's moving on a dark road, but it's an open road, so Lidar (laser) and radar should have detected and classified her" as a human, said Bryant Walker Smith, a University of South Carolina law professor who studies autonomous vehicles.
Smith said the video may not show the complete picture, but "this is strongly suggestive of multiple failures of Uber and its system, its automated system, and its safety driver."

Even though the video camera doesn't show the woman crossing the street until it's too late, I suspect the driver's more sensitive naked eye could have seen the woman crossing the street before the camera saw her. But the Hispanic felon in the driverless car wasn't watching the road.

I also suspect there's something about the scene that foiled the lidar, even though I would have expected the driverless car to be able to "see" into the darkness."

Either way, the woman crossing the road is at fault for crossing in the dark in front of an oncoming car that had the right of way.
Passengers in driverless cars aren't supposed to have to watch the road.
And you validate my point. Technology is no where near being able to mimic the decision making process of the human mind.

Its fucking scary.
Look at that iphone10. The facial recognition technology is AMAZING. But think of how it will be abused..

It's safe, but I still think it needs a driver behind the wheel. I think it will be rolled out to be used by Uber and Lyft first. Other companies are in the link below in a variety of forms.

What was shocking was the recent accident in Arizona. I don't necessarily agree with what the police chief said about it in that Uber wasn't at fault. It's too preliminary. The technology should have picked it up even if the victim came out in front of the car. The car should have slowed down. The video may excuse the driver, but he could be held responsible if he was using a phone or not paying attention.

In real life everyone in one will be sleeping or working on their laptop.
Many don't even give the passenger the option to take over control.

Its fucking scary.

You have a link proving "Many don't even give the passenger the option to take over control."?

Its fucking scary.

You have a link proving "Many don't even give the passenger the option to take over control."?
GM to Launch Driverless Car in 2019 with No Steering Wheel or Pedals

Google’s Next Phase in Driverless Cars: No Steering Wheel or Brake Pedals

Empty cars with no steering wheel could soon be driving in California

-Weatherman, educating the left since 1978

Its fucking scary.

So in other words you dont have a link? These are all future phases and they dont constitute "many". From one of your own links moron.

"Currently, federal automobile standards require steering wheels"

You cant educate someone if you are ignorant of the facts.

Its fucking scary.

So in other words you dont have a link? These are all future phases and they dont constitute "many". From one of your own links moron.

2019 cars come out in 3 months, shitforbrains.

So that means that none of the current cars are without steering wheels and pedals in contradiction to your claim that many dont (not wont) have them you brainless idiot.

So that means that none of the current cars are without steering wheels and pedals in contradiction to your claim that many dont (not wont) have them you brainless idiot.
Shitforbrains claims all self driving cars have steering wheels. :lmao:

Its fucking scary.

AFAIK, Uber had that philosophy, but the accident may change it, albeit in this case even if the driver was attentive, he probably would not able to stop in time.

Right, precisely because it is more capable than a human of seeing things in the dark.

Other advantages are that they have a higher and farther view and know where they are going. The last part is scary since maps can change. Maybe companies will program swarming if the vehicle realizes another vehicle is going to the same destination. I would not buy an autonomous car with no steering wheel and brake pedals.

Right, precisely because it is more capable than a human of seeing things in the dark.

Other advantages are that they have a higher and farther view and know where they are going. The last part is scary since maps can change. Maybe companies will program swarming if the vehicle realizes another vehicle is going to the same destination. I would not buy an autonomous car with no steering wheel and brake pedals.
Weatherman swears all driverless cars have no steering wheel or brake pedals.

What a lousy liar. Right there in the thread for everyone to see that I never said that, shitforbrains.

What a lousy liar. Right there in the thread for everyone to see that I never said that, shitforbrains.
Yes you are a lousy liar. You claimed I said all driverless cars have steering wheels yet I said no such thing. I simply asked you to show us a link where there were "many" driverless cars without steering wheels and you couldnt even do that correctly. :rolleyes:

Yes you are a lousy liar. You claimed I said all driverless cars have steering wheels yet I said no such thing. I simply asked you to show us a link where there were "many" driverless cars without steering wheels and you couldnt even do that correctly. :rolleyes:
Dumbass calls GM and Google liars too. Cripes

Passengers in driverless cars aren't supposed to have to watch the road.
And you validate my point. Technology is no where near being able to mimic the decision making process of the human mind.

The hispanic felon behind the wheel wasn't a passenger, but was a worthless safety driver. The idea is to work out the bugs from self-driving cars before the safety drivers are done away with.

Most people would have hit that women crossing the road. What we want is a car that does better than most people. BTW, I'm sure we're already there, given how incompetently most people drive.

Forum List

Back