Whoever Thinks Driverless Cars Will Be Good in the Next 100 Years

I, for one, welcome our new self driving overlords.

"The victim did not come out of nowhere. She's moving on a dark road, but it's an open road, so Lidar (laser) and radar should have detected and classified her" as a human, said Bryant Walker Smith, a University of South Carolina law professor who studies autonomous vehicles.
Smith said the video may not show the complete picture, but "this is strongly suggestive of multiple failures of Uber and its system, its automated system, and its safety driver."

Experts: Uber self-driving system should have spotted woman

Even though the video camera doesn't show the woman crossing the street until it's too late, I suspect the driver's more sensitive naked eye could have seen the woman crossing the street before the camera saw her. But the Hispanic felon in the driverless car wasn't watching the road.

I also suspect there's something about the scene that foiled the lidar, even though I would have expected the driverless car to be able to "see" into the darkness."

Either way, the woman crossing the road is at fault for crossing in the dark in front of an oncoming car that had the right of way.
Passengers in driverless cars aren't supposed to have to watch the road.
And you validate my point. Technology is no where near being able to mimic the decision making process of the human mind.
It's actually very close. These cars have driven hundreds of thousands of miles on our roads, and this is the first time any human has been harmed.

Experts: Uber self-driving system should have spotted woman
Right, precisely because it is more capable than a human of seeing things in the dark.

Other advantages are that they have a higher and farther view and know where they are going. The last part is scary since maps can change. Maybe companies will program swarming if the vehicle realizes another vehicle is going to the same destination. I would not buy an autonomous car with no steering wheel and brake pedals.
Weatherman swears all driverless cars have no steering wheel or brake pedals.

The law requires autonomous vehicles to have steering, brakes, accelerator, seats, seat belts, etc. I doubt that's going to change any time soon.

These cars have driven hundreds of thousands of miles on our roads, and this is the first time any human has been harmed.

Self-driving cars have driven millions of miles, and there has only been one death and that wasn't the car's fault.

I too welcome our self driving overlords.
image.jpeg

I too welcome our self driving overlords.
View attachment 190016

This has become an obsession with you, hasn't it?

Yes, computers can fail. That does not mean they will all fail at 70mph. Default setting for safety would be in place.

The driverless car is coming.

It seems WM2020's vision is near sighted at best. See:

Ask the Captain: When planes land themselves

This is the big problem with Reactionaries, they believe the good old days were the best of times. I'm sure WM's great grandfather, when seeing the first horseless carriage, told his wife that will never replace the horse, and yelled as one passed by, "Get a horse!".

Has little experience driving and/or working with computers.

View attachment 149365

And has never heard of an uncontrolled train crossing.
Being against driverless cars today is like being against cars back in the horse and buggy days
Lemming.

Why has wm2020 used the word Lemming? I can only guess, but must assume he is too dumb to post a rebuttal, and signed this 'post' with his nom de plume used as a member of the right wing echo chamber.

we wont have a civilization within 20 years, folks. The US is going to collapse from all this debt, dope war, and warmongering, welfare (mostly to corporations) and commie 'thinking"

The huge fear about these driverless vehicles getting hacked is crazy. There are numerous safeguards that can be installed that not be accessible except for by technicians actually onsite. Why go to that trouble when you can talk some crazy into being a suicide driver?
You can not stop the hacvker if he is wiling to spend the time he will get in!

The huge fear about these driverless vehicles getting hacked is crazy. There are numerous safeguards that can be installed that not be accessible except for by technicians actually onsite. Why go to that trouble when you can talk some crazy into being a suicide driver?

If the systems that steer and stop the vehicle are not accessible from the outside, there is nothing to hack. They can locate you, honk the horn, turn on your wipers or roll down the windows, but not drive the car.

GM cars and trucks can be accessed from the outside via OnStar. Is that a threat to driver or public safety?

If the systems that steer and stop the vehicle are not accessible from the outside, there is nothing to hack. They can locate you, honk the horn, turn on your wipers or roll down the windows, but not drive the car.

GM cars and trucks can be accessed from the outside via OnStar. Is that a threat to driver or public safety?
yes, and i do not beleive that the others are unhackable either!

View attachment 149365

Who would have thought that one day we would be able to hold a powerful computer in the palm of our hands. Eventually driverless cars will be practical and honestly I can't wait I loathe driving for more than a couple hours.
Computers, i.e. Software, is getting dumber and dumber.

View attachment 149365

Who would have thought that one day we would be able to hold a powerful computer in the palm of our hands. Eventually driverless cars will be practical and honestly I can't wait I loathe driving for more than a couple hours.
Computers and software cant get dumber. They are both inanimate objects dependent on humans to make them work.

View attachment 149365

Computers and software cant get dumber. They are both inanimate objects dependent on humans to make them work.
Thanks for reminding us that Leftists can still get even dumber.

View attachment 149365

Thanks for reminding us that Leftists can still get even dumber.
Says the guy that thinks computers have a mind of their own.

If the systems that steer and stop the vehicle are not accessible from the outside, there is nothing to hack.

Dufus thinks his PC is safe because it's in his house.

Forum List

Back