who'd a thunk it!

When your job is religious education and you are required to sign a profession of faith to have the job, it hardly seems an issue of intolerance when you can't preform your job as required and as you agreed to do it.

Did you even read the article?

Bell, a graduate of Fuller, had taught in the school’s doctorate development program for the past year. But Fredrickson told his friend that his sabbatical from faith meant a sabbatical from the seminary as well.

“From an academic standpoint, and even as a personal journey, I’m really excited about what Ryan is doing,” Fredrickson said.

“There is no honest person of faith who doesn’t have doubts, and Ryan is being courageous enough to take a step back and assess his life. This is bold stuff.”

But Bell’s job at Fuller was to help students through their doctoral dissertations, a particularly stressful time, Fredrickson said, when seminarians need to lean on a person with strong faith

Does that sound like someone who is intolerant?

If you can't do the job, you can't do the job. Nothing about intolerance there.

I wish him good luck in his experiment. I hope he learns alot and comes back to the Lord.

I also highly recommend others do the experiment the opposite way. Spend a year living as a disciple of Christ.

• Banned
When your job is religious education and you are required to sign a profession of faith to have the job, it hardly seems an issue of intolerance when you can't preform your job as required and as you agreed to do it.

Bell, a graduate of Fuller, had taught in the school’s doctorate development program for the past year. But Fredrickson told his friend that his sabbatical from faith meant a sabbatical from the seminary as well.

“From an academic standpoint, and even as a personal journey, I’m really excited about what Ryan is doing,” Fredrickson said.

“There is no honest person of faith who doesn’t have doubts, and Ryan is being courageous enough to take a step back and assess his life. This is bold stuff.”

But Bell’s job at Fuller was to help students through their doctoral dissertations, a particularly stressful time, Fredrickson said, when seminarians need to lean on a person with strong faith

I wish him good luck in his experiment. I hope he learns alot and comes back to the Lord.

I also highly recommend others do the experiment the opposite way. Spend a year living as a disciple of Christ.
wow you are dense
guess you disregarded the part of the article where his was fired?

Bell’s “intellectual experiment,” which began January 1, has already borne dramatic consequences.

In less than a week, he lost two jobs teaching at Christian schools near his home in Los Angeles. He’s 42 and has been a pastor or in seminary for most of his adult life. Now he faces the prospect of poverty and taking odd jobs to feed his two daughters, 10 and 13.

Read more: http://ktla.com/2014/01/08/christia...ing-to-live-2014-as-an-atheist/#ixzz2q1xegr00

Last edited:

Disobedient Christians believe all they have to do is decide to follow words written in a Bible and pretend to be following Christ when they have no idea what Christ means. It's impossible to follow something that's invisible and only the saints of God possess within their mind, which is actually the mind of our Creator where ALL God's creation exists within His thoughts. We saints know we're nothing but a dream but Christians believe we're in a real world and believe in deities such as a man called Jesus as a god.

So would a Fire station be intolerant if they let go of a firefighter who said he would no longer fight fires?

Think about it daws.

I don't identify as atheist. I don't identify as anything. I hate labels, and I refuse to have them imposed upon me. As well, I despise organized religion. However, I will say that many non-Christians and non-religious people were once Christians, and also many or most atheists. I was raised as a Christian. I was baptized at the age of 4. When I reached the age and maturity to think for myself, I made my own individual decision. So, most or many of those in America and other Christian countries who are not now Christians have spent at least a year and usually a great deal more than that living as 'disciples of Christ.' We know what it is like on your side. You have no idea what it is like on ours. Instead of being self righteous and holier than thou, try the other side for as long as we tried yours.

I read the article and he had planned to do an intellectual, scholarly experiment. The response from Christians was complete and total intolerance. Yep. Total intolerance.

Last edited:
When your job is religious education and you are required to sign a profession of faith to have the job, it hardly seems an issue of intolerance when you can't preform your job as required and as you agreed to do it

As an agnostic, I agree. If I had a school that promoted agnosticism, and a teacher started teaching Christianity or Satanism etc. He'd be toast. This is not to say that education in the particulars of other religions or philosophies should be banned. The problem with all revealed religions is their dogmatic blind acceptance of their beliefs, which makes it harder and harder as time goes on for all but their most blind followers to believe.

BTW, the guy's a jerk. He isn't experimenting with atheism, rather, it's agnosticism. If a teacher of religion doesn't know the difference, that would be reason enough for dismissal in my book. I'm worn out with people pointing out the fallacies of religion, and then saying the only possible alternative is the non-existence of God.

How does one experiment with believing that God condones the existence of Hell, and if you don't believe, that's where you're going; or that someone else can die and thereby take on responsibility for your soul?

For the next 12 months, Bell says he will live as if there is no God.

He will not pray, go to church, read the Bible for inspiration, trust in divine providence or hope in things unseen. He’s taking the opposite of a leap of faith: a free fall into the depths of religious doubt.

Bell’s “intellectual experiment,” which began January 1, has already borne dramatic consequences.

Read more: http://ktla.com/2014/01/08/christia...ing-to-live-2014-as-an-atheist/#ixzz2q5gj1Gny

That's really stupid. One either believes that the God of Abraham, as described in The Torah, The New Testament and The Koran exists, or one does not.

If you still believe that a Deity exists, you can't chose to live as an atheist. Theism and atheism are not lifestyles, they're beliefs.

When your job is religious education and you are required to sign a profession of faith to have the job, it hardly seems an issue of intolerance when you can't preform your job as required and as you agreed to do it

As an agnostic, I agree. If I had a school that promoted agnosticism, and a teacher started teaching Christianity or Satanism etc. He'd be toast. This is not to say that education in the particulars of other religions or philosophies should be banned. The problem with all revealed religions is their dogmatic blind acceptance of their beliefs, which makes it harder and harder as time goes on for all but their most blind followers to believe.

BTW, the guy's a jerk. He isn't experimenting with atheism, rather, it's agnosticism. If a teacher of religion doesn't know the difference, that would be reason enough for dismissal in my book. I'm worn out with people pointing out the fallacies of religion, and then saying the only possible alternative is the non-existence of God.

How does one experiment with believing that God condones the existence of Hell, and if you don't believe, that's where you're going; or that someone else can die and thereby take on responsibility for your soul?

You experiment on the Word by doing what it the Lord teaches. You pray. You ask forgiveness. You study your scriptures. You do what you can to keep the commandments. You make a choice to act in faith even though you don't necesarily see everything from the beginning.

Disobedient Christians believe all they have to do is decide to follow words written in a Bible and pretend to be following Christ when they have no idea what Christ means. It's impossible to follow something that's invisible and only the saints of God possess within their mind, which is actually the mind of our Creator where ALL God's creation exists within His thoughts. We saints know we're nothing but a dream but Christians believe we're in a real world and believe in deities such as a man called Jesus as a god.
off topic!

So would a Fire station be intolerant if they let go of a firefighter who said he would no longer fight fires?

Think about it daws.
are false comparisons your specialty?
how do make such asinine statements and not embarrass yourself?
it not as if hes lost his ability to teach Scripture.
as far as I know there is no rule saying you must believe in god to teach it.
if that were true then my comparative religions prof...would have been out of a job...

You experiment on the Word by doing what it the Lord teaches. You pray. You ask forgiveness. You study your scriptures. You do what you can to keep the commandments. You make a choice to act in faith even though you don't necesarily see everything from the beginning.

Whoever obeys words written in a book is a fool who doesn't know who our Creator is or how He used His saints and prophets to write down the words He puts in our minds that Christians call scriptures.

Whoever obeys words written in a book is a fool who doesn't know who our Creator is or how He used His saints and prophets to write down the words He puts in our minds that Christians call scriptures.
word either stay on topic or stfu...

Actions have consequences...some people have to learn things the hard way.
true, but this is not one of those times....it highlights the bigotry that Christians say they don't have...

I can't imagine very many Christian parents who would be comfortable with such an experiment at the cost of leading their children by example...it goes against the whole purpose of choosing to place them in such a school where they expect Christian role models.

true, but this is not one of those times....it highlights the bigotry that Christians say they don't have...

I can't imagine very many Christian parents who would be comfortable with such an experiment at the cost of leading their children by example...it goes against the whole purpose of choosing to place them in such a school where they expect Christian role models.
then maybe the parents ought take the opportunity for their kids to learn from other than Christian role models...

And it's really, really odd... I couldn't find anything in the article about him losing his religion, i.e. no longer believing that God exists, just some crap about 'living as an atheist' by not going to church, reading The Bible or praying.

If going to church, prayer and reading scripture are prerequisites for 'being a believer', there are a LOT of people out there making fools of themselves by calling themselves 'Christians'.

Believing in God (or not) is something you do, not something you practice.... this guy probably thinks heterosexuality is a daily choice too.

The whole purpose of Christian schools is to teach Christianity along with the other State required subjects, it is not intolerant at all to fire someone who doesn't believe in one of the subjects the school is teaching.

If you hired a math teacher to teach math along with some other subjects and all of a sudden he/she claims they don't believe in math, obviously will not teach math, why would you be obligated to keep them? Has nothing to do with tolerance/intolerance but with common sense.

Forum List

Back