Ever wonder why...

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
...movies readily show demons or the Devil, but only ever show G-d in humorous or satirical contexts?

I really enjoy religious-themed drams and thrillers, but am a bit perturbed that they never seem to show 'the good guys' in all their mutant ninja glory. Yet show 'the bad guys' very readily.

I was thinking something similiar when I was watching Sleepy Hollow a few months ago. (Awesome show by the way). I thought it was interesting that they focus so much about the bad stuff going on in the end of days and totally miss the good stuff.

Often see references of 'G-d on the Throne' but have yet to see a nice Hollywood representation of it. By comparison I have a lot of mental images of Satan on his throne. Even decidely pro-G-d movies like "Exorcism of Emily Rose" go into graphic detail of possession, but when the Virgin Mary comes up they don't show her. Only time I've seen 'G-d' in a mainstream movie has been George Burns in the "Oh G-d!" movies, or Alanis Morisette in "Dogma." Seem ok showing angels comparatively speaking, but never G-d. Unless in a less than respectful manner.

I don't know. I always liked the representation of God on in Throne in Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey. A silly movie I know. and they didnt actually show the throne, just the light. but it seemed respectful.

Well that's what I mean, when they show it it's indirect, whereas they depict the devil or demons full-on. Thinking of "Thor" on FX the other night, they show Odin kicking bottom and I found myself thinking, "Why don't they ever show our G-d like that?" :)

Probably because a lot of movie-goers are Christians, and they think of their deity being crucified instead (which is sometimes portrayed in graphic detail)

forget the evil depictions, they do not exist.

look at a photo of Mars then of Earth from the Spacestation ... as good a shot of the Almighty as one will ever get.

Well that's what I mean, when they show it it's indirect, whereas they depict the devil or demons full-on. Thinking of "Thor" on FX the other night, they show Odin kicking bottom and I found myself thinking, "Why don't they ever show our G-d like that?" :)

Probably the same reason you don't say G-d. Out of Respect.

Who exactly could play God? Who could depict Him in His glory appropriately?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWjlkm5g-Tk]OhGod.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back