who'd a thunk it!

The whole purpose of Christian schools is to teach Christianity along with the other State required subjects, it is not intolerant at all to fire someone who doesn't believe in one of the subjects the school is teaching.

If you hired a math teacher to teach math along with some other subjects and all of a sudden he/she claims they don't believe in math, obviously will not teach math, why would you be obligated to keep them? Has nothing to do with tolerance/intolerance but with common sense.

Most public school parents wouldn't want or expect the teacher to be pushing Creationism. The guy should be able to find a venue that will welcome his enlightened vision of "teaching", but it's unreasonable to assume it would be a Christian school.

Where did the idea come from that Christians are required to be tolerant? God's not. He's the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. If it was unacceptable to God in the past, it will be equally unacceptable to Him in the present and in the future, regardless of the human policy du jour.
And Christianity is exclusive, not politically correct. One way. One exclusive way. Through Christ.
Accept nothing less.

Last edited:
The seeds of Bell’s journey were planted last March, when he was asked to resign as pastor of a Seventh-day Adventist congregation in Hollywood.

He had advocated for the church to allow gay and lesbian leaders, campaigned against California’s same-sex marriage ban and disputed deeply held church doctrines about the End Times.

Eventually, his theological and political liberalism became more than leaders in the denomination could bear, and he lost his career of 19 years. His faith was shaken, and for a while Bell became a “religious nomad.”
This seems more a problem of hate and ignorance common to most social conservatives rather than Christian intolerance.

Where did the idea come from that Christians are required to be tolerant? God's not. He's the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. If it was unacceptable to God in the past, it will be equally unacceptable to Him in the present and in the future, regardless of the human policy du jour.
And Christianity is exclusive, not politically correct. One way. One exclusive way. Through Christ.
Accept nothing less.

Only ONE way if you believe in THE way, eh?

`

I wonder how long would I stay on the job if I would decide that CPR and other resuscitative measurements now are off my requirements as a physician and declare that that is my experiment :lol:

should I also whine about hospital intolerance?

So would a Fire station be intolerant if they let go of a firefighter who said he would no longer fight fires?

Think about it daws.
are false comparisons your specialty?
how do make such asinine statements and not embarrass yourself?
it not as if hes lost his ability to teach Scripture.
as far as I know there is no rule saying you must believe in god to teach it.
if that were true then my comparative religions prof...would have been out of a job...

You're inability to understand the comparisons doesn't make them invalid.

You can't give spiritual guidence if you ignore the spiritual for a year.

true, but this is not one of those times....it highlights the bigotry that Christians say they don't have...

I can't imagine very many Christian parents who would be comfortable with such an experiment at the cost of leading their children by example...it goes against the whole purpose of choosing to place them in such a school where they expect Christian role models.
then maybe the parents ought take the opportunity for their kids to learn from other than Christian role models...

Then he would still be out of a job since his position would no longer be needed.

Accept nothing less.

Ive always found it interesting that those who cry for the "virtue" of tolerance the most are the ones with the least amount of virtue, including tolerance.

So would a Fire station be intolerant if they let go of a firefighter who said he would no longer fight fires?

Think about it daws.
if that were true then my comparative religions prof...would have been out of a job...

false! spirituality is not exclusively christian...damn you can rationalize..

Bell, a graduate of Fuller, had taught in the school’s doctorate development program for the past year.

no faith needed for that position...

Last edited:
How does one experiment with believing that God condones the existence of Hell, and if you don't believe, that's where you're going; or that someone else can die and thereby take on responsibility for your soul?

If ones is to attempt to resolve the seemingly contradictory belief in a just and benevolent God who condones the existence of hell, one would first understand the subject of hell and then seek evidence of its cause and existence.

It is impossible to resolve the belief in a benevolent God with the eternal after life torture of confused creatures.

My suggestion is to throw everything you have heard about hell being a place of punishment and torment that only the physically dead are at risk of being sent to into the trash heap, the original metaphorical meaning of hell, gehenna, as spoken by Jesus.

Hell is a state of mind, a place of torturous confusion that many people here show signs of being in where hopes are never fulfilled, beliefs are never confirmed, and peace is never attained. It is not a place of punishment that God sends people to, it is a place of confusion and absence of all that is good that people create for themselves.

If you buy into irrational self negating beliefs then you will lose your rational mind and become confused and say and do stupid things that injure yourself and the people that you love .

And if a person loses their rational mind, their soul, with what can they get it back especially when the walls that mark the boundary between heaven and hell have been built by their own professed devotion to the beliefs that are the very cause of their confusion?

People who claim to believe that one God is really three coequal beings that diddled a virgin to become fully human without a human father only to party with sinners and prostitutes and say things that no one understood till he was killed but came back to life only to disappear into the sky find it too hard to believe that they are mistaken. How is it possible to not believe in hell?

Hell is as real as anyone's fantasy life that separates them and prevents them from enjoying the fruits of real life, accessible only to rational beings, by being diverted by those irrational delusions that are nothing more than the mirage of a person dying of thirst in the desert... thorns and thistles.

If you train your ear you will hear the voices of lost souls in hells keeping. They are always on the verge of hysteria shrieking ' you will believe in hell when you feel the flames", 'the end is near', 'we are sinners,' 'Jesus is coming", etc, etc.,

The question shouldn't be why does a benevolent God condone the existence of hell, the answer is obviously because he is benevolent and merciful, The question is why do people perpetuate the existence of hell and condemn their children to it?

Last edited:

Bell, a graduate of Fuller, had taught in the school’s doctorate development program for the past year.

It is when you are teaching doctorates in religion and faith.

And no one said spirituality is exlcusive to Christianity. But it is exclusive of atheism. You cannot be spiritual when you deny that spirituality exists.

It is when you are teaching doctorates in religion and faith.

And no one said spirituality is exlcusive to Christianity. But it is exclusive of atheism. You cannot be spiritual when you deny that spirituality exists.
false again! i love love it when you make patently false assumptions
Personal Spirituality

This is not, however, the only way the concept of "spirituality" can be used. For some people, it involves a variety of very personal things like self-realization, philosophical searching, etc. For many others, it is something like a very deep and strong emotional reaction to "wonders" of life — for example, gazing out at the universe on a clear night, seeing a newborn child, etc.

All of these and similar senses of "spirituality" are entirely compatible with atheism. There is nothing about atheism which prevents a person from have such experiences or quests. Indeed, for many atheists their atheism is a direct result of such philosophical searching and religious questioning — thus, one might argue that their atheism is an integral component of their "spirituality" and their ongoing search for meaning in life.

In the end, all of this vagueness prevents the concept of spirituality from carrying a great deal of cognitive content. It does, however, carry emotional content — much of what people describe as "spirituality" seems to have much more to do with emotional than intellectual reactions to events and experiences. So, when a person is using the term, they are more likely trying to convey something about their emotions and their emotional reactions to things than a coherent set of beliefs and ideas.

If an atheist is wondering if it would be appropriate to use the term "spiritual" when describing themselves and their attitudes, the question that must be asked is: does it have any emotional resonance with you? Does it "feel" like it conveys some aspect of your emotional life? If so, then it may be a term you can use and it will mean just what you "feel" it conveys. On the other hand, if it just feels empty and unnecessary, then you won't be using it because it just doesn't mean anything for you.
Atheism and Spirituality: Are there any Spiritual Atheists? Can Atheism Be Spiritual or Compatible with Spiritual Beliefs?

Forum List

Back