Who Loves British Reggae?

Pogo a new Music Thread.

I FUCKING love SKA not so much Reggae as Reggae is very repetitive. I HATE Bob Marley, I LOVE Lee Perry and I love Trojan Records, a subsidiary of Island Records started by Chris Blackwell in 1968, Chris Blackwell of course grew up in Kingston, Jamaica. Another great Ska label was Treasure Isle Records that was founded by Duke Reid in Kingston, Jamaica in 1953 or was it Portland, Jamaica, I'll have to look that up.

I really LOVE Ragga/Dubstep as it's more hardcore and one of my favourite Ragga/Dubstep albums is "Pressure" by The Bug released on Reflex/Klein Records in 2003, 2 x 12" 180gm Heavy Virgin Vinyl:

1592438557683.png

Track 2 from Side 4 of the above LP is "Killer" and it was also released on 7" in 2001 on Razor X Records. This is The Bug vs Rootsman featuring He-Man:

1592438303670.png

The Bug vs Rootsman featuring He-Man "Killer" on YouTube:

When I did my six months at Balliol College, Oxford University in between finishing my Politics and History Degree, I was also writing at random for The Wire which is a great magazine and they have championed The Bug for YEARS. My time writing for The Wire I refer to as my "Former Music Journalism Career" as I had to give up being a Music Journalist because it took up too much time from everything else I was having to do.

1592438942100.png

I also have a thing for Northern Soul and for years have obsessively searched for to collect many rare "7, my total record collection of EVERYTHING EXCEPT Pop Music which I FUCKING HATE my total vinyl collection is now at approx I don't know it's between 20.000-25.000, I stopped counting as it was giving me a headache attempting to keep track of how many records I now have. I have been collecting records since I was 10 years in age. The first actual record I bought was "Howlin' Wolf" by Howlin' Wolf this was his second album released in 1962 on Chess Records and I bought it because in 2000 when I was 10 years in age via listening via The Internet to my adored and missed BEYOND WORDS John Peel I heard him play "Goin' Down Slow"* and that guitar by Hubert Sumlin had me mesmerised as you would be standing looking at The Pyramids at Giza. So I was determined to get this LP "Howlin' Wolf" and I did. The second Lp I bought was "Trout Mask Replica" by Captain Beefheart, again this when I was aged 10 years in age and these two LPs started my record collection.

*"Goin' Down Slow" written and originally recorded by St. Louis Jimmy in 1941 on "10 78 R.P.M and released on Bluebird Records ANOTHER GREAT record label.

Last edited:

I started a Music Thread in early 2016 you are welcome to post in it if you want, there is only ONE RULE in the thread and that is that NOBODY brings ANY politics into it and this rule is strictly observed by everyone who has ever posted in the thread.

Here is the link, peoples post ALL types of music in it:

Pogo a new Music Thread.

I FUCKING love SKA not so much Reggae as Reggae is very repetitive. I HATE Bob Marley, I LOVE Lee Perry and I love Trojan Records, a subsidiary of Island Records started by Chris Blackwell in 1968, Chris Blackwell of course grew up in Kingston, Jamaica. Another great Ska label was Treasure Isle Records that was founded by Duke Reid in Kingston, Jamaica in 1953 or was it Portland, Jamaica, I'll have to look that up.

I really LOVE Ragga/Dubstep as it's more hardcore and one of my favourite Ragga/Dubstep albums is "Pressure" by The Bug released on Reflex/Klein Records in 2003, 2 x 12" 180gm Heavy Virgin Vinyl:

View attachment 351640

Track 2 from Side 4 of the above LP is "Killer" and it was also released on 7" in 2001 on Razor X Records. This is The Bug vs Rootsman featuring He-Man:

View attachment 351633

The Bug vs Rootsman featuring He-Man "Killer" on YouTube:

When I did my six months at Balliol College, Oxford University in between finishing my Politics and History Degree, I was also writing at random for The Wire which is a great magazine and they have championed The Bug for YEARS. My time writing for The Wire I refer to as my "Former Music Journalism Career" as I had to give up being a Music Journalist because it took up too much time from everything else I was having to do.

View attachment 351644

Oosie, who but you could have drawn me out of exile. Yes Chris Blackwell, legendary. Odd you should mention Ska, just yesterday I was taking to school a YouTuber who fancies himself a Beatleographer who actually advanced the idea that their song "She's A Woman" was somehow "blues" or "rockabilly". I set his ass straight, pointing out that it was one of that band's early incursions into Ska, NOT by any means "rockabilly".

As regards the thread theme, I'm not deep in British reggae and associated music, I think of mah main man Linton Kwesi Johnson:

Mi tastes lean more to Fela but I'll put that in the Oosie Music Thread. Ciao.

Last edited:
I also have a thing for Northern Soul and for years have obsessively searched for to collect many rare "7, my total record collection of EVERYTHING EXCEPT Pop Music which I FUCKING HATE my total vinyl collection is now at approx I don't know it's between 20.000-25.000, I stopped counting as it was giving me a headache attempting to keep track of how many records I now have. I have been collecting records since I was 10 years in age. The first actual record I bought was "Howlin' Wolf" by Howlin' Wolf this was his second album released in 1962 on Chess Records and I bought it because in 2000 when I was 10 years in age via listening via The Internet to my adored and missed BEYOND WORDS John Peel I heard him play "Goin' Down Slow"* and that guitar by Hubert Sumlin had me mesmerised as you would be standing looking at The Pyramids at Giza. So I was determined to get this LP "Howlin' Wolf" and I did. The second Lp I bought was "Trout Mask Replica" by Captain Beefheart, again this when I was aged 10 years in age and these two LPs started my record collection.

*"Goin' Down Slow" written and originally recorded by St. Louis Jimmy in 1941 on "10 78 R.P.M and released on Bluebird Records ANOTHER GREAT record label.

I remind you again --- send your records to me. I'll count 'em for ya. Yeah that's what I'll do. :eusa_shifty:

Oosie, who but you could have drawn me out of exile. Yes Chris Blackwell, legendary. Odd you should mention Ska, just yesterday I was taking to school a YouTuber who fancies himself a Beatleographer who actually advanced the idea that their song "She's A Woman" was somehow "blues" or "rockabilly". I set his ass straight, pointing out that it was one of that band's early incursions into Ska, NOT by any means "rockabilly".

As regards the thread theme, I'm not deep in British reggae and associated music, I think of mah main man Linton Kwesi Johnson:

Mi tastes lean more to Fela but I'll put that in the Oosie Music Thread. Ciao.

The Beatles 'She's A Woman'?
Definately don't think it is blues nor rockabilly which are 4/4 time. This has a 3/4 time reggae beat.

The Beatles 'She's A Woman'?
Definately don't think it is blues nor rockabilly which are 4/4 time. This has a 3/4 time reggae beat.

I know it's not, that's what I was essplaining to the dood.

3/4 time would be waltz. SaW is in 4/4 but it's a question of where the accents are.

Forum List

Back