What are you listening to?

Lucy Hamilton

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2015
Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

You Tube being amazing, they have all of Bartók's String Quartet's uploaded.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

This is the Allegro from "String Quartet No. 5":

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

The whole Imarhan album is completely astonishing.

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

Last edited:
  • Banned
Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

Savages "T.I.W.Y.G"

With Savages, it's like mixture of early Siouxsie and The Banshees meeting Big Black head-on....which is obviously good stuff.

Savages are English band with French girl on the vocals, but she does thing in English.

They are on Matador Records, very great label, good bands:

Matador Records | Home

THIS to US is called MULTICULTURISM - English with French, that's OUR VERSION of being Multicultural :smile:

Edited to add comment.

Last edited:
  • Banned

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Frank Wilson "Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)"....simply THE greatest Northern Soul record EVER, original copies now changing hands for £40,000.

Mr. Lucy, two years ago, during what can only be described as intense and secretive negotiations bought an original Demo 45 for a considerable sum, someone found this out and offered to buy it off him for mega amount and Mr. Lucy rightly said no.

The picture in the below video 1, obviously a Bootleg, but the sound quality on the video more superior to the next video 2 which shows the original Tamla Motown record from 1965, never released, only 250 copies of the 45 were pressed up and all Demo copies.

The sound quality of the Wilson and Acklin records not pristine on these videos, but if you like them you can get them on variety of Northern Soul CD Compilations, where sound quality excellent and I recommend you hear them in the original pristine sound.

Bootleg picture:

Original Picture:

IMHO the second greatest Northern Soul record ever, this is Barbara Acklin's "Just Ain't No Love", this is the Brunswick Records release from 1968.

There was an earlier release on Coral Records pressed up as Italian Demo for some reason.

• Banned

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Frank Wilson "Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)"....simply THE greatest Northern Soul record EVER, original copies now changing hands for £40,000.

Mr. Lucy, two years ago, during what can only be described as intense and secretive negotiations bought an original Demo 45 for a considerable sum, someone found this out and offered to buy it off him for mega amount and Mr. Lucy rightly said no.

The picture in the below video 1, obviously a Bootleg, but the sound quality on the video more superior to the next video 2 which shows the original Tamla Motown record from 1965, never released, only 250 copies of the 45 were pressed up and all Demo copies.

The sound quality of the Wilson and Acklin records not pristine on these videos, but if you like them you can get them on variety of Northern Soul CD Compilations, where sound quality excellent and I recommend you hear them in the original pristine sound.

Bootleg picture:

Original Picture:

IMHO the second greatest Northern Soul record ever, this is Barbara Acklin's "Just Ain't No Love", this is the Brunswick Records release from 1968.

There was an earlier release on Coral Records pressed up as Italian Demo for some reason.

I've inherited the eclectic music tastes from my parents, also I've inherited the obsessive record collecting habit from them :smoke: :smile:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Françoise Hardy "Voilà" released in 1967 on the Disques Vogue record label, like most of her songs, Hardy wrote "Voilà"

Do you like Van Morrison's stuff with Them? Even though I'm useless now for about 20 minutes, this always happens when listening to Françoise Hardy, such dreamy noise.

Only two albums, one 1965, the other 1966:

The Angry Young Them - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Them Again - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Them did an amazing version of Big Joe Williams' "Baby Please Don't Go", which Williams released in 1935 on the brilliant Bluebird Records

Them released their version in 1964, the B-Side "Gloria" Van Morrison wrote himself.

Them "Baby Please Don't Go", I think actually one of the most perfect 45 records ever recorded, because it contains everything you want in ONE 45 record:

Big Joe Williams "Baby Please Don't Go", the original version 1935, the Delta Blues one:

Them "Gloria", incredibly wonderful:

Do you like Van Morrison's stuff with Them? Even though I'm useless now for about 20 minutes, this always happens when listening to Françoise Hardy, such dreamy noise.

Them did an amazing version of Big Joe Williams' "Baby Please Don't Go", which Williams released in 1935 on the brilliant Bluebird Records

Them released their version in 1964, the B-Side "Gloria" Van Morrison wrote himself.

Them "Baby Please Don't Go", I think actually one of the most perfect 45 records ever recorded, because it contains everything you want in ONE 45 record:

Big Joe Williams "Baby Please Don't Go", the original version 1935, the Delta Blues one:

Yeah all his stuff is good. So you get moved to the motion listen to certain tunes?

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Howlin' Wolf aka Chester Burnett "Goin' Down Slow", this was originally recorded by St. Louis Jimmy in 1941 and again issued on Bluebird Records.

Howlin' Wolf released it on his album "Howlin' Wolf" in 1962 on Chess Records. The guitar isn't The Wolf, it's Hubert Sumlin and it's actually indescribable, possibly one the most dirtiest guitar pieces ever, it's very sexy.

Here's the original "Goin' Down Slow" by St. Louis Jimmy, his own composition. The piano is played by Roosevelt Sykes.

Roosevelt Sykes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All treated like crap, no royalties usually, ie. Willie Dixon, Lightnin' Hopkins etc. Willie Dixon shamed Jimmy Page into giving him royalties though by suing him in 1987. Good for Willie.

Yeah all his stuff is good. So you get moved to the motion listen to certain tunes?

My day job which I've given up, sort of, to concentrate on other things, the day job has been music journalist, not any of that awful Pop Music though of course.

Forum List

Back