Who here agrees sports were more enjoyable in the 70s, 80s, 90s?

USApatriotz

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2017
I grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s & I can HONESTLY say ALL 4 major sports were more fun to watch back then don't you agree? I've talked to TONS of people over the years who agree!

I'm NOT talking about the quality of athletes today. I readily agree today's athletes are better. I'm talking about how much enjoyment do you get from watching the games today compared to back then?

Most definitely the NHL was better then with Gretzky & Lemieux scoring around 200 points plus TONS of great fights! Now scoring is way down & fighting is practically phased out!

The NBA & NFL were clearly better then too! Dr.J, Moses Malone, bad boy Pistons, 80s Celtics vs. Lakers, Dan Marino, Eric Dickerson, Barry Sanders, Dan Fouts, etc. etc.

Don't forget NASCAR.

Perhaps the intervening years have left us jaded and cynical...

Last edited:
I grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s & I can HONESTLY say ALL 4 major sports were more fun to watch back then don't you agree? I've talked to TONS of people over the years who agree!

I'm NOT talking about the quality of athletes today. I readily agree today's athletes are better. I'm talking about how much enjoyment do you get from watching the games today compared to back then?

Most definitely the NHL was better then with Gretzky & Lemieux scoring around 200 points plus TONS of great fights! Now scoring is way down & fighting is practically phased out!

The NBA & NFL were clearly better then too! Dr.J, Moses Malone, bad boy Pistons, 80s Celtics vs. Lakers, Dan Marino, Eric Dickerson, Barry Sanders, Dan Fouts, etc. etc.

You seem to be overlooking a key variable.

What's that?

What's that?

YOU are older.

What's that?

YOU are older.

Valid point.

The NHL was certainly better back in the 1980s. The average goals per game was 8. Now it's 5. There are almost as many goals per minute of viewing now in soccer as there are in hockey.

Hockey wasn't better in the 90s. That's when it started getting worse, with all the clutching and grabbing, and the re-introduction of the neutral zone trap, a strategy that was popular in the 50s.

The problem today is that teams try to clog the middle so there isn't much long-ice passing, and the goalies are simply too good. They've gotten big and athletic. Direct shots rarely go in any more.

I'd make the net bigger.

Football is definitely better to watch, both at the college and pro level. It is much more of a passing game today. But there are too many ads.

I grew up in the Bronx and was an absolute rabid NY Yankee fan and almost got Boston pitcher Bill Lee to attack me. I haven't watched a Yankee game in almost 2 decades, baseball is unwatchable. New fucking ball after every pitch. The only sport I'll watch is World Cup soccer. Fucking USA loses to Costa Rica on Saturday.

I grew up in the Bronx and was an absolute rabid NY Yankee fan and almost got Boston pitcher Bill Lee to attack me. I haven't watched a Yankee game in almost 2 decades, baseball is unwatchable. New fucking ball after every pitch. The only sport I'll watch is World Cup soccer. Fucking USA loses to Costa Rica on Saturday.

Toro was right. Your testosterone level is in negative numbers and your estrogen levels are through the roof.

:udaman::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

:udaman::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I been saying this for the last several years on at this site.:thup:

Oh yeah the game of both sports that I love baseball and football are so corrupt now I mostly just watch games from yesteryear now from back in the 70's and 80's when the game was fun to watch for both these sports.

the cheatriots getting away with scandal after scandal constantly that other teams would never get away with creating the biggest scandal in sports history since the black sox scandal has totally tainted the sport for me.sadly there are a lot of poster here in denial that they are not anymore cheaters than other teams inventing excuse after excuse to avoid that reality.:rolleyes:

Plus with the chargers going to LA and the Raiders now threatening to go to vegas,that was the last straw,i have had it with the NFL and how they always get to move at the drop of the dime.. The 80's is when the corruption of the NFL started staking place with teams moving all the time but the Rams were still in LA t the time so i tolerated it.No longer though even with them back where they belong. I have had it with the NFL.fuck them.:up_yours:Plus they never should have allowed free agency,it ruined the game same as it did baseball.

Dont even get me started on baseball.It was actually the 90's when I lost interest in baseball because thats when players jumped from one team to another.the good old days of players sticking with one team their whole careers ended in the 90's.

you will never see small market teams like the A'S,Pirates,Reds,and Padres be able to compete was they were once able to because of the unfair advantage these major big market teams have over them. You will for sure NEVER see another Tony Gwenn come out of the padres organization and stay with that team his whole career sadly.

Plus when they went to that three way wild card and started televising baseball games everynight,the excitement you used to have went out thew window.who can forget the good old days of the game of the week when a baseball game on tv MEANT something? or this week in baseball?

and as far as basketball? even though i always hated that sport.i always tuned in to the championship games between the Lakers and Celtics.Those teams were in a class by themselves.

and i remember hearing those guys names in hockey mentioned on ESPN so i kinda even got interested in them even though hockey is another game like basketball i had no interest in.

Give me the goold old days of the 70's and 80's of baseball and football anyday of the year when the games of those sports were not corrupted as they are now.:mad:

The NHL was certainly better back in the 1980s. The average goals per game was 8. Now it's 5. There are almost as many goals per minute of viewing now in soccer as there are in hockey.

Hockey wasn't better in the 90s. That's when it started getting worse, with all the clutching and grabbing, and the re-introduction of the neutral zone trap, a strategy that was popular in the 50s.

The problem today is that teams try to clog the middle so there isn't much long-ice passing, and the goalies are simply too good. They've gotten big and athletic. Direct shots rarely go in any more.

I'd make the net bigger.

Football is definitely better to watch, both at the college and pro level. It is much more of a passing game today. But there are too many ads.

Remember the New Jersey Devils defensive trap that beat the Wings in the Stanley Cup in 95 eventhough everyone basically agreed the Wings were the more talented team? Hockey has been going downhill ever since!

The Red Wings had the Bruise brothers in Probert & Kocur & TONS of other great fighters in the league which added a totally unique element to the game but now that's GONE!

It was nice to see a little resurgence with the Blackhawks mini-dynasty but the NHL is a skeleton of what it used to be from its peak from the 80s to mid 90s!

What's that?

YOU are older.

But a lot of it has nothing to do with age. Scoring AND fighting in hockey are both WAY down whether I'm 9 or 90!

Also there have been rules changes in both the NFL & MLB that people have objected to regardless of your age. Some people decry how the center/big man position is basically gone from the NBA so you likely won't see another Kareem, Shaq, or David Robinson.

I live the life of a spoilt sports fan. I live near Pittsburgh and earned a degree from The Ohio State University. A potent combination for sports.

But I also remember the steroids era in baseball, the cocaine era in all sports, strike years, lockout years and canceled World's Series.

That being said, I watched Archie Griffin win two Heismans, the Steelers win six Superbowls, the Pirates win two World Series and the Penguins win four Stanley Cups.

The one sporting event that has slipped off the rails is the Olympic Games. I think it was much better without professional athletes.

:udaman::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

:udaman::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I been saying this for the last several years on at this site.:thup:

Oh yeah the game of both sports that I love baseball and football are so corrupt now I mostly just watch games from yesteryear now from back in the 70's and 80's when the game was fun to watch for both these sports.

the cheatriots getting away with scandal after scandal constantly that other teams would never get away with creating the biggest scandal in sports history since the black sox scandal has totally tainted the sport for me.sadly there are a lot of poster here in denial that they are not anymore cheaters than other teams inventing excuse after excuse to avoid that reality.:rolleyes:

Plus with the chargers going to LA and the Raiders now threatening to go to vegas,that was the last straw,i have had it with the NFL and how they always get to move at the drop of the dime.. The 80's is when the corruption of the NFL started staking place with teams moving all the time but the Rams were still in LA t the time so i tolerated it.No longer though even with them back where they belong. I have had it with the NFL.fuck them.:up_yours:Plus they never should have allowed free agency,it ruined the game same as it did baseball.

Dont even get me started on baseball.It was actually the 90's when I lost interest in baseball because thats when players jumped from one team to another.the good old days of players sticking with one team their whole careers ended in the 90's.

you will never see small market teams like the A'S,Pirates,Reds,and Padres be able to compete was they were once able to because of the unfair advantage these major big market teams have over them. You will for sure NEVER see another Tony Gwenn come out of the padres organization and stay with that team his whole career sadly.

Plus when they went to that three way wild card and started televising baseball games everynight,the excitement you used to have went out thew window.who can forget the good old days of the game of the week when a baseball game on tv MEANT something? or this week in baseball?

and as far as basketball? even though i always hated that sport.i always tuned in to the championship games between the Lakers and Celtics.Those teams were in a class by themselves.

and i remember hearing those guys names in hockey mentioned on ESPN so i kinda even got interested in them even though hockey is another game like basketball i had no interest in.

Give me the goold old days of the 70's and 80's of baseball and football anyday of the year when the games of those sports were not corrupted as they are now.:mad:

another thing i left out on why i lost interest in baseball is when they started tearing down all these classic ballparks. comisky park,tiger stadium,then yankee stadium,these baseball owners are the same as NFL owners,they have no respect for history or tradition.

even with the Rams finally back in LA where they belong,I have had it with the NFL and there corruption.fuck them.Other than their home opener and the two games against the niners,I wont even watch their games.i have waited 22 years for that california rivalry of the niners finally be back so i will always get excited over those two teams playing even when they both suck which is the case now,it wont matter.

but since i have had it with the NFL. go UCLA.thats my new team.college football rules over the fucking corrupt NFL anyday of the year.:thup:

Last edited:
btw,glad you mentioned my man Eric Dickerson,the LOS ANGELES Ram.:thup:since you did so,here is a treat for you i hope you enjoy.Its very special to me obviously and a video i hold near and dear to me because the song "WITH ERIC DICKERSON IN IT OF COURSE" gives me goosebumps naturally.:biggrin:

I doubt it will give you goosebumps as it does me and it is not something that is near,dear,and special as to me either but i think you will still enjoy it it.here it is.:) I hope you like.:)

="USApatriotz, post: 18085822, member: 60944"]I grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s & I can HONESTLY say ALL 4 major sports were more fun to watch back then don't you agree? I've talked to TONS of people over the years who agree!

Rules changes have changed all four sports and not in the fans favor.

I went to a lot of hockey games during that time but never to see fighting..all fighting accomplished was longer games.

I went to a ton of NBA games in the late 60's and 70's but rule changes to protect the 'super' star was a turn off to me along with 20 odd times outs slows the games to a crawl. I haven't watch a NBA game for over 5 years..
And again, not to sound like a broken record, rule changes in the NFL to me have been over the top along with 5 minute commercials at every break in the game is a turn off.

="USApatriotz, post: 18085822, member: 60944"]I grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s & I can HONESTLY say ALL 4 major sports were more fun to watch back then don't you agree? I've talked to TONS of people over the years who agree!

Rules changes have changed all four sports and not in the fans favor.

I went to a lot of hockey games during that time but never to see fighting..all fighting accomplished was longer games.

I went to a ton of NBA games in the late 60's and 70's but rule changes to protect the 'super' star was a turn off to me along with 20 odd times outs slows the games to a crawl. I haven't watch a NBA game for over 5 years..
And again, not to sound like a broken record, rule changes in the NFL to me have been over the top along with 5 minute commercials at every break in the game is a turn off.

yeah thats another reason I have had it with the NFL.You can almost not even hit the quarterback anymore without getting flagged and the defenders can hardly even touch the receivers anymore giving them a way too far of an unfair advantage,you cant hardly bump then now without drawing a flag. it is pretty much gotten to the point now where it is fucking flag football. give me the good old days in the 70's and 80's anyday of the year when you could actually throw the quarterback around like a ragdoll and pretty touch the recievers downfiled without getting a freaking flag.:mad:

I live the life of a spoilt sports fan. I live near Pittsburgh and earned a degree from The Ohio State University. A potent combination for sports.

But I also remember the steroids era in baseball, the cocaine era in all sports, strike years, lockout years and canceled World's Series.

That being said, I watched Archie Griffin win two Heismans, the Steelers win six Superbowls, the Pirates win two World Series and the Penguins win four Stanley Cups.

The one sporting event that has slipped off the rails is the Olympic Games. I think it was much better without professional athletes.

Oh yeah back in the good old days when the Pirates had a chance to compete on the same level as other teams and won world series as a result,those days were great. :thup: Or look at the days back in the 80's and early 90's when the game had not been ruined so much because of free agency where players stayed with one them their whole careers.Because of that,like i said,you had small market teams like the padres for example who made it the world series against the Tigers in the 80's and again in the 90's against the Yankees.:thup:

sadly now because small market teams like them cant compete with big market teams like the yankees and dodgers anymore,as i said before,you will never see another Tony Gwynn come out of the padres and stick with the padres for his entire career anymore.

If we were still in the 70's and 80's,you would NEVER have seen Johnny Cuto drafted by the cincinatti reds leave.He for sure still be playing with the Reds right now as result.

If the NFL was like MLB baseball,NO WAY IN HELL could teams like the Steelers or Green Bay packers have a prayer of being competive year after year as they do.they would suffer losing season after losing season as well with no chance in hell of keeping an Aaron Rodgers or a Ben Rothlesberger for their entire careers.no way,no how,that cannnot be debated that they would be long gone years ago if the NFL did not have revenue sharing as baseball doesnt.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back