NBA legend Gary Payton says his era of basketball was best

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
I don't know if it was the best era, the 80s, most of which I missed, was very exciting and extremely competitive. Without question though, 90s Bball was FAR better than todays game. Watching guys run up and down the court and float the ball in unimpeded from centre court, isn't exciting to me.

Payton was definitely one of my favourite guards, though I wasn't a Seattle fan per se. He was a complete guard who was tireless on the court, a fierce competitor and a cerebral player. I believe he and John Stockton are overlooked by sports media in history, but whom their opponents and fans respected. Stockton, robbed of a ring against Jordan (I don't care, the pick and roll is legit), I think Payton found a ring later in his career. I'd take both of them if I were building a team.

For fans, I think the baseline drives and under the net battles are far more engaging than the 3 pointer. That was 90s Bball, though the Bad Boy Pistons had to be reigned in, they were sort of the Broad Street Bullies of basketball, and it worked when the league allowed it; the game didn't need to get away from some of the contact and beautiful drives of the Jordans and Hakeem and others.

Curry seems to have changed the game as everyone realizes now "hey, I don't even need to be a great athlete or even tall, as long as I can accurately throw a ball from half way across the court, I can make millions".

Good for them. Bad for the fans,

There are two debates that will forever engulf NBA fans – who is the greatest basketball player of all time and which era of basketball was better?

Gary Payton recently weighed in on the latter.

The Basketball Hall of Famer and nine-time All-Star said in an interview with the Boardroom he believes the style of basketball played in the 1990s was the best era for the sport. He expressed how he wasn’t a big fan of the way the game has evolved into more fast breaks and long-distance shooting.

"It’s different because we were in a different era. Our era was us taking pride in more than one thing; this era is about scoring. Our era was about defense, being rough, getting out there, and getting it done," Payton said.

I would say the 80s revitalized Basketball with Magic, Bird and MJ
The 90s may have been better overall Basketball

I don’t find todays game as entertaining
The 3s are killing the game

I liked it more when the Centers controlled the game

I don't know if it was the best era, the 80s, most of which I missed, was very exciting and extremely competitive. Without question though, 90s Bball was FAR better than todays game. Watching guys run up and down the court and float the ball in unimpeded from centre court, isn't exciting to me.

Payton was definitely one of my favourite guards, though I wasn't a Seattle fan per se. He was a complete guard who was tireless on the court, a fierce competitor and a cerebral player. I believe he and John Stockton are overlooked by sports media in history, but whom their opponents and fans respected. Stockton, robbed of a ring against Jordan (I don't care, the pick and roll is legit), I think Payton found a ring later in his career. I'd take both of them if I were building a team.

For fans, I think the baseline drives and under the net battles are far more engaging than the 3 pointer. That was 90s Bball, though the Bad Boy Pistons had to be reigned in, they were sort of the Broad Street Bullies of basketball, and it worked when the league allowed it; the game didn't need to get away from some of the contact and beautiful drives of the Jordans and Hakeem and others.

Curry seems to have changed the game as everyone realizes now "hey, I don't even need to be a great athlete or even tall, as long as I can accurately throw a ball from half way across the court, I can make millions".

There are two debates that will forever engulf NBA fans – who is the greatest basketball player of all time and which era of basketball was better?

The Basketball Hall of Famer and nine-time All-Star said in an interview with the Boardroom he believes the style of basketball played in the 1990s was the best era for the sport. He expressed how he wasn’t a big fan of the way the game has evolved into more fast breaks and long-distance shooting.

"It’s different because we were in a different era. Our era was us taking pride in more than one thing; this era is about scoring. Our era was about defense, being rough, getting out there, and getting it done," Payton said.

I think GP may be on to something. I can't get interested in the NBA (I've tried). The Suns are a fine franchise but unlike the NFL, there is nothing special about the games during the season. To use a phrase from my consultancy that I utilize with clients quite often...the regular season is just inventory; one game is no more important than another game. Which, when you go by the standings is true regardless of anything else. But in the past, when Jordan came to town...that was a hot ticket. When Malone and Stockton came to town, that was a hot ticket. Now? There isn't much difference between the superstars on one team and the superstars on the other teams.

So I think GP may have a point although I don't know if the 90's product was "better". It was definitely more engaging.

Gary Payton was a loser who went to the Lakers at the end of his career to have Kobe and Shaq give him a championship and my Piston's beat their ass. No one expected it. Karl Malone was even on the team. It was the biggest disappointment in Laker history until this year. Because this year the Laker Dream Team didn't even make the playoffs. THE PLAYOFFS! At least Gary Payton choked in the finals.

I don't believe Gary Payton ever won a championship. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. I'm glad his mediocre son is going to get a ring and not him, a top 50 player I'm sure.

Europeans are smarter than Americans. They figured out a long time ago 3 is worth more than 2. So get good at the 3 ball. Maybe we should take away the 3? So Curry's 3's are only worth 2. Would that work for you?

I like it when defense wins. My Piston's usually kept opponents to under 100. It was fun to see if they'd keep them under 90 points.

But people back then said it was boring. They don't want to see low scoring defensive games. They want to see more scoring. Make up your minds!

NBA '79 - '91...

The Hick from French Lick...

Showtime Lakers...

Nothing better.
I will agree because my Pistons won in 1988-89 and 89-90.

NBA TEAMS WITH CONSECUTIVE CHAMPIONSHIPS
1949-1950 Minneapolis Lakers (2)
1952-1954 Minneapolis Lakers (3)
1959-1966 Boston Celtics (8)
1968-1969 Boston Celtics (2)
1987-1988 Los Angeles Lakers (2)
1989-1990 Detroit Pistons (2)
1991-1993 Chicago Bulls (3)
1994-1995 Houston Rockets (2)
1996-1998 Chicago Bulls (3)
2000-2002 LA Lakers (3)
2009-2010 LA Lakers (2)
2012-2013 Miami Heat (2)
2017-2018 Golden State Warriors (2)

I will agree because my Pistons won in 1988-89 and 89-90.

NBA TEAMS WITH CONSECUTIVE CHAMPIONSHIPS
1949-1950 Minneapolis Lakers (2)
1952-1954 Minneapolis Lakers (3)
1959-1966 Boston Celtics (8)
1968-1969 Boston Celtics (2)
1987-1988 Los Angeles Lakers (2)
1989-1990 Detroit Pistons (2)
1991-1993 Chicago Bulls (3)
1994-1995 Houston Rockets (2)
1996-1998 Chicago Bulls (3)
2000-2002 LA Lakers (3)
2009-2010 LA Lakers (2)
2012-2013 Miami Heat (2)
2017-2018 Golden State Warriors (2)

There was nothing like going down to The Fabulous Forum to watch the Lakers and Celtics... Better than any concert... God those were good times...

Europeans are smarter than Americans. They figured out a long time ago 3 is worth more than 2. So get good at the 3 ball. Maybe we should take away the 3? So Curry's 3's are only worth 2. Would that work for you?

I like it when defense wins. My Piston's usually kept opponents to under 100. It was fun to see if they'd keep them under 90 points.

But people back then said it was boring. They don't want to see low scoring defensive games. They want to see more scoring. Make up your minds!
The Pistons kicked some ass

Gary Payton was a loser who went to the Lakers at the end of his career to have Kobe and Shaq give him a championship and my Piston's beat their ass. No one expected it. Karl Malone was even on the team. It was the biggest disappointment in Laker history until this year. Because this year the Laker Dream Team didn't even make the playoffs. THE PLAYOFFS! At least Gary Payton choked in the finals.

I don't believe Gary Payton ever won a championship. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. I'm glad his mediocre son is going to get a ring and not him, a top 50 player I'm sure.

Payton is a loser? 9 Time NBA All Star, 9 time All-defensive First team, HOF, brought Seattle to the Finals, and yes, did win a ring (I looked it up) with the Heat,

He could put up points, dish the ball, play defense and even had a top 20 all time season for steals.

Payton played a hard, competitive game and you should reconsider your memory, or your bias, before you disparage his contribution to the sport.

Forum List

Back