Football is Over

Skeptic1959

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2020
Having watched football for the last 48 years, this is the first time ever that I am glad the season is over and the first time I am not looking forward to it coming back. While this has nothing to do with Tom Brady winning yet another Super Bowl it is more about what football has become and what took place in the 2020 season. This past season for me was disgusting, disappointing, and just plain uninteresting. Not just football but all sports have been ruined by the onset of this planned COVID-19 event among other political and social issues and events that have taken place.

While I expect many negative responses to this post, I am only writing this to vent my frustration and disgust with sports these days. I was lucky enough to have grown up in the 1970s and my teen years and young adult years in the 80s when sports were MUCH MUCH different. It's unfortunate today's young sports fan won't ever get to experience what we the older generation got to see first hand when athletes played for the game and not for money nor politics. As a professional writer, I am done writing about current sports and all my articles going forward will be about history. Sports has a rich history and so many athletes that were great role models and played with so much more passion.

When I first started watching sports, my first love was baseball. Then came football. I became a huge boxing fan. Football eventually surpassed baseball as the favorite sport, and then came the UFC for which I am now a big fan. But baseball in 2021? It is off my list. The one thing that sports in 2020 and thus far in 2021 has shown me is that there are far better things to occupy my time than to get wrapped up in the bullshit that consumes all sports.

Sports history is far more enjoyable for me that current day events. Again, I expect much backlash, name calling, slandering, etc. etc. etc. Have at it sports fans because I don’t expect anyone to agree with me this is just a personal opinion, all judgment is everyone’s right to speak how they feel, and this is how I feel.

For the record, I found it very odd that this commercial was recorded before the Super Bowl and would not you know it, the prediction rang true. Super Bowl LV smelled very bad, very fishy, and many will believe this was a complete setup to get Tom Brady another championship ring. Sports have been fixed for many years in certain cases and this one is glaringly obvious. This commercial gives it away.

I will not be posting any rebuttals to responses I receive on this because I expect them all to be negative.

Having watched football for the last 48 years, this is the first time ever that I am glad the season is over and the first time I am not looking forward to it coming back. While this has nothing to do with Tom Brady winning yet another Super Bowl it is more about what football has become and what took place in the 2020 season. This past season for me was disgusting, disappointing, and just plain uninteresting. Not just football but all sports have been ruined by the onset of this planned COVID-19 event among other political and social issues and events that have taken place.

While I expect many negative responses to this post, I am only writing this to vent my frustration and disgust with sports these days. I was lucky enough to have grown up in the 1970s and my teen years and young adult years in the 80s when sports were MUCH MUCH different. It's unfortunate today's young sports fan won't ever get to experience what we the older generation got to see first hand when athletes played for the game and not for money nor politics. As a professional writer, I am done writing about current sports and all my articles going forward will be about history. Sports has a rich history and so many athletes that were great role models and played with so much more passion.

When I first started watching sports, my first love was baseball. Then came football. I became a huge boxing fan. Football eventually surpassed baseball as the favorite sport, and then came the UFC for which I am now a big fan. But baseball in 2021? It is off my list. The one thing that sports in 2020 and thus far in 2021 has shown me is that there are far better things to occupy my time than to get wrapped up in the bullshit that consumes all sports.

Sports history is far more enjoyable for me that current day events. Again, I expect much backlash, name calling, slandering, etc. etc. etc. Have at it sports fans because I don’t expect anyone to agree with me this is just a personal opinion, all judgment is everyone’s right to speak how they feel, and this is how I feel.

For the record, I found it very odd that this commercial was recorded before the Super Bowl and would not you know it, the prediction rang true. Super Bowl LV smelled very bad, very fishy, and many will believe this was a complete setup to get Tom Brady another championship ring. Sports have been fixed for many years in certain cases and this one is glaringly obvious. This commercial gives it away.

I will not be posting any rebuttals to responses I receive on this because I expect them all to be negative.

I enjoyed watching TB and Gronk win again. Forgot for a second that they were no longer Patriots LOL. You'll be back next season and so will the fans hopefully. Rams will still suck.

I totally understand,,

:thankusmile: :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
:yes_text12:
well you don’t have to worry about me saying anything negative to you because I agree wholeheartly with you word for word on EVERYTHING you said.I could not have said it any better myself.:thup: I feel the exact same way you do.despite what some people think about me, I do the same as you do,the only NFL I have anything to do with now is buying old NFL games from yesteryear over the net from decades back in the 70s and 80,sa time when the NFL was exciting to watch and not political as it is now and not a corrupt cartel back then as it is now either.you are so correct,ALL professional sports have become like this now and there are far more better stuff to spend my time on than watching the NFL or any other pro sports.the only time it’s fun to talk about the NFL is the glory years from games past,the seventys and 80,s and before that.

we have a lot in common.I also first started out watching baseball on tv with baseball being the sports I had the most passion for.football was my second favorite sport so that was also my second favorite too watch.eventually I got tired of playing baseball so like you,football became my new favorite sport and that was the one I got excited about watching.you are so correct,the youth growing up now will never know or experience the joy we got to experience as a kid when the games were nit fixed as they are now and the game was not anywhere corrupt back then as it is now and has been the past twenty years but worse than ever this year than any other year which as you said,goes for all sports.excellentinformative post,that’s a good decision to ignore the trolls who attack you.:thup:

Just as I expected:

Viewership for the Super Bowl and all of its associated programming was down year-over-year, with households tuning-in for the game itself down 15 per cent, according to data from Samba TV.

Some 32 million households tuned in, down from 37.6 million in 2020. Here’s how all of the programming looked on Sunday night:
  • Super Bowl LV pre-game show: down 13 per cent
  • Super Bowl LV: down 15 per cent
  • Super Bowl LV Halftime show: down 14 per cent
  • Presidential interview 2021: down 13 per cent
The lower ratings are the latest blow for the NFL this season, as household tune-ins have been down throughout the play-offs and the marquee Sunday and Monday night games.

Two weeks ago, the conference championship games were down 15 per cent and 17 per cent, while each game in the divisional round was down 20-23 per cent YoY and the wild card weekend games were down 21-30 per cent.

Many people believe that it was disrespectful of white Tom Brady to win the superbowl during black history month. He should have thrown the game so the black guy could win.
Which of course if they stopped to think about it, would be insulting to the very idea of Black History Month by insinuating that "the black guy" couldn't win on his own merits. I think that kind of condescension has long been discredited.

Many people believe that it was disrespectful of white Tom Brady to win the superbowl during black history month. He should have thrown the game so the black guy could win.
Maybe blacks can have their own Super Bowl.
They have everything else exclusive from whites.....might as well have their own sport where whites are excluded.

Oh...shit....they already have Basketball.

Last edited:

I enjoyed watching TB and Gronk win again. Forgot for a second that they were no longer Patriots LOL. You'll be back next season and so will the fans hopefully. Rams will still suck.

I take AFL East teams over anyone except for the dolphins of course. I love having the best team quarterback and tight end all being from the AFL East. Along with the most important super bowl win ever, super bowl 3... My advice is to get onboard with America's real team, the Buffalo Bills. Lol

I agree with you 100%. Let these professional sports wannabes go out and work real jobs. They have killed the golden goose.

... ... It's unfortunate today's young sports fan won't ever get to experience what we the older generation got to see first hand when athletes played for the game and not for money nor politics. ....

Horse shit. Pro athletes have always cashed their paychecks, and have not been immune to politics. You say you grew up in the 70s? You don't remember Cassius Clay? Billy Jean King? Tommie Smith? The 1980 Olympics?

Just as I expected:

Viewership for the Super Bowl and all of its associated programming was down year-over-year, with households tuning-in for the game itself down 15 per cent, according to data from Samba TV.

Some 32 million households tuned in, down from 37.6 million in 2020. Here’s how all of the programming looked on Sunday night:
The lower ratings are the latest blow for the NFL this season, as household tune-ins have been down throughout the play-offs and the marquee Sunday and Monday night games.

Two weeks ago, the conference championship games were down 15 per cent and 17 per cent, while each game in the divisional round was down 20-23 per cent YoY and the wild card weekend games were down 21-30 per cent.

That would be the 15% who are dyed in the wool GOP conspiracy nut jobs and real racists. 15%

Which of course if they stopped to think about it, would be insulting to the very idea of Black History Month by insinuating that "the black guy" couldn't win on his own merits. I think that kind of condescension has long been discredited.
Always interesting to hear what GOP racists have to say....

Just as I expected:

Very interesting stuff. :thup:

Just as I expected:

You are wrong about the Super Bowl ratings. Over 100 million households tuned in yesterday which was a 2% increase over last year. Millions more streamed it and watched it in bars. It's safe to say that half of America watched the game making it the most viewed television show in history.

Sorry you didn't enjoy it.

Just as I expected:

You are wrong about the Super Bowl ratings. Over 100 million households tuned in yesterday which was a 2% increase over last year. Millions more streamed it and watched it in bars. It's safe to say that half of America watched the game making it the most viewed television show in history.

A link for where you got your stats? I linked mine above.

Always interesting to hear what GOP racists have to say....
Let us know when you hear one. In the meantime, do you think it would honor the "black guy's" hard work and talent to ease off and "let" him win?

Just as I expected:

A link for where you got your stats? I linked mine above.

I was wrong about one thing. It wasn't the largest audience - apparently that was 2015. It is however true that no television broadcast gets a higher viewership in this country than the Super Bowl.

Forum List

Back