Which is it........Soda, Pop, or "Coke"?

Baron Von Murderpaws

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2021
In the recesses of your mind
In the North and far West, it's Soda.
In the North Midwest it's Pop.
In the South it's "Coke".

So...............which is it?

coke-pop-soda.jpg

In the North and far West, it's Soda.
In the North Midwest it's Pop.
In the South it's "Coke".

So...............which is it?

coke-pop-soda.jpg
Soda and Pop are general names. In the South, when we say Coke, we are talking about a specific brand. Maybe the rest of the country can't remember brand names?

Soda and Pop are general names. In the South, when we say Coke, we are talking about a specific brand. Maybe the rest of the country can't remember brand names?

au contraire! In Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee, when we say "Coke" we mean any soda. If I am going to the store and you say "Bring me a coke", I will ask "What kind?".

There was a time when they called it dope because everyone called it coke. Coke was the name for any cola. Seven-up for clear soda and root beer or sarsaparilla for root beer.

There was a time when they called it dope because everyone called it coke. Coke was the name for any cola. Seven-up for clear soda and root beer or sarsaparilla for root beer.
Carbon sequestered drink. LOL

We drank Dr. Pepper, with redskin peanuts dropped into the bottle. Don't really recall what people called the stuff generically, probably coke or soda. Quit drinking soft drinks a long time ago.

au contraire! In Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee, when we say "Coke" we mean any soda. If I am going to the store and you say "Bring me a coke", I will ask "What kind?".
I'm in Tennessee. When I say Coke, I mean Coca-Cola. I am not even a fan of Coke, usually ordering Pepsi, if they have it. If somebody says bring back some Cokes, I pick up a 6-pack of Coca-Cola.
coke-glass-bottle-png-vector-coca-cola-cans-transparent-11563242311toxwyoqe0h.png

I grew up on Montana, and always called it "soda pop" or "soda" growing up.

When I got stationed in Memphis TN, I heard a similar conversation...............

"Bring me a Coke"

"What kind?"

"Dr. Pepper".

Now, to me, "Coke" always meant Coca Cola. If you wanted something else, you asked for it by name (i.e. ginger ale, orange soda, 7Up, etc.). If you didn't really care, you just asked for a soda and it was dealer's choice what you got.

Kinda made me do a double take the first few times I heard "Coke" used as a generic term for soda pop.

Forum List

Back