Which is it........Soda, Pop, or "Coke"?

Soda and Pop are general names. In the South, when we say Coke, we are talking about a specific brand. Maybe the rest of the country can't remember brand names?
Coke in the south refers to soda pop in general.
Has, as long as I can remember.

Never heard anybody say "pop" or "soda" until I started working with a girl from Boston, when I got out on my own and started working.

Coke in the south refers to soda pop in general.
Has, as long as I can remember.

Never heard anybody say "pop" or "soda" until I started working with a girl from Boston, when I got out on my own and started working.
I'm just a literal guy, I guess, and some fountain Cokes (Coca-Colas) suck, although I don't usually notice if mixed with Bourbon.

The corner gas station had a 5 cent 8oz coke machine when I was a kid.
On a hot day they hit the spot.

coke 8oz machine.jpg

The corner gas station had a 5 cent 8oz coke machine when I was a kid.
On a hot day they hit the spot.

View attachment 798683
Lumber yard in Dyersburg had a machine for 5 cent cokes in the 90s and early 2000s. It was smaller Coke bottles. I swear it seemed to taste better, and I used to get one every time I went.

Lumber yard in Dyersburg had a machine for 5 cent cokes in the 90s and early 2000s. It was smaller Coke bottles. I swear it seemed to taste better, and I used to get one every time I went.
That was prior to the wide spread use of high fructose corn syrup. They used sugar in those days. If you buy Coke that is made and bottled in Mexico, they still use sugar and it tastes like you remember.

That was prior to the wide spread use of high fructose corn syrup. They used sugar in those days. If you buy Coke that is made and bottled in Mexico, they still use sugar and it tastes like you remember.
Damn! You mean I gotta go all the way to Mexico for a Coke that tastes the way Coke is supposed to taste?:mad: I don't know if the government did that, but it makes sense and explains the difference in taste. If you want to taste a coke that really sucks, get one in Germany or France.

I was a Dr. Pepper drinker until they completely fucked it up in 1970.

A few years ago, I discovered that Virgil's made a very close facsimile of the old Dr. Pepper, called "Dr, Better", but it disappeared from the shelves only about a year after I started drinking it.\

Forum List

Back