When the President brings up the sins of Christianity's past and is condemned for doing so...

Snark is fitting and I like to add, hateful little man who calls himself a President who makes me sick

SNIP:
Snarker-in-Chief
No one — least of all the American people — is exempt from our president’s snark.
By Victor Davis Hanson

(Chip Somodevilla/Getty)

Print
Text
Comments

Victor Davis Hanson

Snark is a popular word used for a particular sort of off-putting sarcasm. Snarkiness can manifest itself as adolescent cheap shots, snide condescension, or simple ad hominem patronizing — a sort of “I know you are, but what am I?” schoolyard name-calling. Its incessant use is typically connected with a peevishness born out of juvenile insecurity, and sometimes fed by an embarrassing envy. All politicians are snarky at times; but few obsessively so, given the wages of monotony and insecurity that the snark earns.

President Obama is well known both for ad hominem dismissals of his supposed enemies — everyone from Fox News to the Tea Party to Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity — and for his evocations of nefarious straw men who, he claims, if left unchecked, would uninsure the poor, pollute the environment, hurt the illegal immigrant, and wage perpetual war abroad. But Obama’s snarky putdowns and condescending afterthoughts are a particularly disturbing subset of these rhetorical devices, used by him in the grand world of diplomacy as well as in often petty domestic contexts.

Advertisement

Vladimir Putin is the dangerous autocrat of a nuclear-armed superstate. He has trampled on the rights of his own people while trying to bully the former Soviet republics back into a czarist Orthodox version of the Soviet Empire. So Putin is many disturbing things, but for Obama he is reduced to some archetypal high-schooler to be snarked at: “My sense is that’s part of his shtick back home politically as wanting to look like the tough guy.” Putin, in Obama’s putdown, has “got that kind of slouch, looking like the bored kid at the back of the classroom.” Gratuitously reducing Putin’s aggression to the work of an adolescent rival show-off may be dangerous when combined with the past six years of Obama’s mostly seeming indifferent to that aggression. Snarking loudly while carrying a tiny stick is particularly unwise.

Mitt Romney was not just wrong in his views, but, to Obama in his snark mode as psychoanalyst, apparently ill: “[Romney is] changing up so much and backtracking and sidestepping we’ve got to name this condition he’s going through. I think it’s called . . . Romnesia. I’m not a medical doctor, but I do want to go over some of the symptoms with you because I want to make sure nobody else catches it.” Note the “I want to go over some of the symptoms.”

The reason Obama lost the Pennsylvania primary of 2008 was not just that the state’s Democratic voters preferred Hillary Clinton; he was sabotaged by an ignorant subset of the working-class population that lacked his own perspective, good taste, and calm analytical mind. Not appreciating Obama’s talents was analyzed as the equivalent of Neanderthalism: “It’s not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy toward people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.” Note the “It’s not surprising . . .”

ALL of it here:
Snarker-in-Chief National Review Online

high-horse1.jpg

No one could read the Word. They trusted Pastors, Priests and Scholars to interpret the Bible for them. And the scriptures could be twisted to some one's advantage to do evil in the name of Christ.

That is the point the president was making.........glad you could clarify....

No he was saying "we did bad things, they do bad things so deal with it you asshole Christians"..

Snark is fitting and I like to add, hateful little man who calls himself a President who makes me sick

SNIP:
Snarker-in-Chief
No one — least of all the American people — is exempt from our president’s snark.
By Victor Davis Hanson

(Chip Somodevilla/Getty)

Print
Text
Comments

Victor Davis Hanson

Snark is a popular word used for a particular sort of off-putting sarcasm. Snarkiness can manifest itself as adolescent cheap shots, snide condescension, or simple ad hominem patronizing — a sort of “I know you are, but what am I?” schoolyard name-calling. Its incessant use is typically connected with a peevishness born out of juvenile insecurity, and sometimes fed by an embarrassing envy. All politicians are snarky at times; but few obsessively so, given the wages of monotony and insecurity that the snark earns.

President Obama is well known both for ad hominem dismissals of his supposed enemies — everyone from Fox News to the Tea Party to Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity — and for his evocations of nefarious straw men who, he claims, if left unchecked, would uninsure the poor, pollute the environment, hurt the illegal immigrant, and wage perpetual war abroad. But Obama’s snarky putdowns and condescending afterthoughts are a particularly disturbing subset of these rhetorical devices, used by him in the grand world of diplomacy as well as in often petty domestic contexts.

Advertisement

Vladimir Putin is the dangerous autocrat of a nuclear-armed superstate. He has trampled on the rights of his own people while trying to bully the former Soviet republics back into a czarist Orthodox version of the Soviet Empire. So Putin is many disturbing things, but for Obama he is reduced to some archetypal high-schooler to be snarked at: “My sense is that’s part of his shtick back home politically as wanting to look like the tough guy.” Putin, in Obama’s putdown, has “got that kind of slouch, looking like the bored kid at the back of the classroom.” Gratuitously reducing Putin’s aggression to the work of an adolescent rival show-off may be dangerous when combined with the past six years of Obama’s mostly seeming indifferent to that aggression. Snarking loudly while carrying a tiny stick is particularly unwise.

Mitt Romney was not just wrong in his views, but, to Obama in his snark mode as psychoanalyst, apparently ill: “[Romney is] changing up so much and backtracking and sidestepping we’ve got to name this condition he’s going through. I think it’s called . . . Romnesia. I’m not a medical doctor, but I do want to go over some of the symptoms with you because I want to make sure nobody else catches it.” Note the “I want to go over some of the symptoms.”

The reason Obama lost the Pennsylvania primary of 2008 was not just that the state’s Democratic voters preferred Hillary Clinton; he was sabotaged by an ignorant subset of the working-class population that lacked his own perspective, good taste, and calm analytical mind. Not appreciating Obama’s talents was analyzed as the equivalent of Neanderthalism: “It’s not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy toward people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.” Note the “It’s not surprising . . .”

ALL of it here:
Snarker-in-Chief National Review Online

Awesome! Just freaking awesome Steph!!!!!!

Bravo. Great find and spot on.

No one could read the Word. They trusted Pastors, Priests and Scholars to interpret the Bible for them. And the scriptures could be twisted to some one's advantage to do evil in the name of Christ.

No he was saying "we did bad things, they do bad things so deal with it you asshole Christians"..
If you can't interpret what someone says in detail, I am not surprised you take the Tea Party stance..

Yep, pretty much. and that he isn't going to do a damn thing to protect us from it or them. because he's a MUSLIM sympathizer if not a closet Muslim himself

the big word: USED to

He's a disgusting hater/leader of the United States of America and I have never been more ashamed to call this little hateful man my President

How much more are we expected to take from him?

That's exactly the point, Steph. Used to. The more violent parts of the Bible were used to justify some horrific things. But over time Christians interpreted around it so that now they ignore any of the violent parts they don't want to follow. Demonstrating elegantly that even when there are violent passages in a religious text, they need not be enacted by the faithful using it.

Which is exactly the point Obama was making about Islam.

I don't need Obama to make any point to me. I didn't elect him to preach to me about our past sins. He can go take it to his hateful church of the Reverend Wright
the man hates us with a passion he just never lets a chance go by to show it. He makes me sick

Thats what it is...he came across as "preachy". Isn't this the very thing America doesn't want? People practically giddy about Christians being put in their place.
Of course the speech was intended to be diplomatic and its true horrible things have been done in the name of Christianity. Fact...harmful things are done all the time by all kinds of people.
You'd think the president of this "progressive secular nation" would have emphasized that point. Have doubt before you cause harm to another, or something to that effect.

The big farce of neutrality.:lmao:

a video at the site:

snip:
Conservative Activist Star Parker: Obama Committed “Verbal Rape” on Christians at Prayer Breakfast (Video)
Posted by Jim Hoft on Monday, February 9, 2015, 9:36 PM

Last Thursday Barack Obama compared Christians to ISIS savages during the Annual Prayer Breakfast in Washington DC.

On Monday conservative author, columnist and activist Star Parker told Sean Hannity that President Obama’s remarks at the National Prayer Breakfast last week amounted to “verbal rape.” Parker explained that Obama “sucked all the energy from the room” with his “secular humanism.”

“Let me put in context then because I was in that room. It was frankly verbal rape. Oh yeah. We were not expecting it. Nobody wanted it. It was horrible to sit through. And after it was over we all felt like crap. Verbal rape is what it was.”

Via Hannity:

all of it with video at:
Conservative Activist Star Parker Obama Committed 8220 Verbal Rape 8221 on Christians at Prayer Breakfast Video The Gateway Pundit

he is indulging in apologia for Islam by offering this politically correct pablum that attempts to create false equivalencies.

Except when he said:

"But we also see faith being twisted and distorted, used as a wedge -- or, worse, sometimes used as a weapon. From a school in Pakistan to the streets of Paris, we have seen violence and terror perpetrated by those who profess to stand up for faith, their faith, professed to stand up for Islam, but, in fact, are betraying it. We see ISIL, a brutal, vicious death cult that, in the name of religion, carries out unspeakable acts of barbarism -- terrorizing religious minorities like the Yezidis, subjecting women to rape as a weapon of war, and claiming the mantle of religious authority for such actions.

We see sectarian war in Syria, the murder of Muslims and Christians in Nigeria, religious war in the Central African Republic, a rising tide of anti-Semitism and hate crimes in Europe, so often perpetrated in the name of religion.

So how do we, as people of faith, reconcile these realities -- the profound good, the strength, the tenacity, the compassion and love that can flow from all of our faiths, operating alongside those who seek to hijack religious for their own murderous ends?

Humanity has been grappling with these questions throughout human history. "

Remarks by the President at National Prayer Breakfast The White House

...Why haven't any of his advisors properly equipped him for that debate? "Christians used to kill in the name of their religion too." Yes, but you're gonna get wailed on saying that, and then lose the discussion in the eyes of the public, most of whom are those very same Christians. UNLESS someone gives you the chapter and verse to defend that statement as with pointing out various verses in every Bible saying to do exactly what Muslims are doing in the name of their spin-off religion:

Murder in the Bible

"Kill People Who Don't Listen to Priests

Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel. (Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT)"

"Kill Homosexuals
"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)"

"Death for Adultery

If a man commits adultery with another man's wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death. (Leviticus 20:10 NLT)"

"Death to Followers of Other Religions

Whoever sacrifices to any god, except the Lord alone, shall be doomed. (Exodus 22:19 NAB)

Kill Nonbelievers

They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul; and everyone who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, was to be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman. (2 Chronicles 15:12-13 NAB)"
You do now the church works out of the new testament,not the old

etc.

To shut people up trying to make Islam look irrationally violent, simply smack them in the face with a Bible. :) Pretty simple. Christianity's own sins are in every one of them. If Islam's guilty of something it's for plagurizing and not being original.

Now far as I know and have read about his speech he never says Islam.

Well then allow me......

But we also see faith being twisted and distorted, used as a wedge -- or, worse, sometimes used as a weapon. From a school in Pakistan to the streets of Paris, we have seen violence and terror perpetrated by those who profess to stand up for faith, their faith, professed to stand up for Islam, but, in fact, are betraying it. We see ISIL, a brutal, vicious death cult that, in the name of religion, carries out unspeakable acts of barbarism -- terrorizing religious minorities like the Yezidis, subjecting women to rape as a weapon of war, and claiming the mantle of religious authority for such actions.

:welcome:

Hahaha. Actually this is what the point was.

"So how do we, as people of faith, reconcile these realities -- the profound good, the strength, the tenacity, the compassion and love that can flow from all of our faiths, operating alongside those who seek to hijack religious for their own murderous ends? "

Hahaha. Actually this is what the point was.

"So how do we, as people of faith, reconcile these realities -- the profound good, the strength, the tenacity, the compassion and love that can flow from all of our faiths, operating alongside those who seek to hijack religious for their own murderous ends? "
They seem to hate so much, they can't read and decipher what is actually said.....

Well, after we elected a black man potus, I for one was pretty sure sooner or later he'd reference the unfortunate fact that less than 50 years ago racists justified killing African americans, and at least one white kid, in the name of protecting our Christian nation from black radicals who wanted to undermine society, and he'd probably call attention to the fact that at least some of these murders were never convicted and are walking around, and even those who were convicted often ran around scott-free until the past ten years or so.

To me, none of that really matters. I was alive while it happened, but if didn't really touch my life. We still have racist whites killing blacks sometimes, though it cuts the other way. Race, it seems to me, just isn't our biggest problem. But, I wasn't really OK with Germany until it became clear that the last of the Nazis have pretty much died off. I can see holding the grudge.

he is indulging in apologia for Islam by offering this politically correct pablum that attempts to create false equivalencies.

Except when he said:

"But we also see faith being twisted and distorted, used as a wedge -- or, worse, sometimes used as a weapon. From a school in Pakistan to the streets of Paris, we have seen violence and terror perpetrated by those who profess to stand up for faith, their faith, professed to stand up for Islam, but, in fact, are betraying it. We see ISIL, a brutal, vicious death cult that, in the name of religion, carries out unspeakable acts of barbarism -- terrorizing religious minorities like the Yezidis, subjecting women to rape as a weapon of war, and claiming the mantle of religious authority for such actions.

We see sectarian war in Syria, the murder of Muslims and Christians in Nigeria, religious war in the Central African Republic, a rising tide of anti-Semitism and hate crimes in Europe, so often perpetrated in the name of religion.

So how do we, as people of faith, reconcile these realities -- the profound good, the strength, the tenacity, the compassion and love that can flow from all of our faiths, operating alongside those who seek to hijack religious for their own murderous ends?

Humanity has been grappling with these questions throughout human history. "

He would have a point if what he said were actually true in regards to the distortion and weaponization.

Islam is a weapon by very design as it's central tenets involve aggressive expansion, intolerance, supremacy and forcing submission. It's very genesis lies in the political doctrine of a murderous warlord looking to add a religious aspect to his doctrine in order to create unquestioned fealty among his warriors.

Islam is a totalitarian ideology, and Obama misses the mark entirely by treating it as just another religion that has been "hijacked". It hasn't been hijacked. It is acting as it has always acted whenever the opportunity arose.

Forum List

Back