When it hits the fan. A survival discussion.

For small game a good pellet gun would be great. Lower cost, very quiet, and you could buy tens of thousands of pellets without breaking the bank.
BB gun works like a charm. I have 4 that I shoot feral cats in the ass with. Wont do anything to a cat but will kill a bird. With the amount of BB's I have my great grand children will be able use some.

I just bought both my 5 year old girl and boy Grandkids a Daisy RedRyder 75th anniversary edition BB rifles 'Ace' . Its the same gun where Ralphie almost shoots his eye out . I had an airgun , used to shot snow and mud . Course I got my first .22 rifle at about 10 , semi auto .22 .

I live in a very small town (Census claims 200 people) in a rural area well away from population centers. It's an area where everybody knows everybody. We don't have a police force or even a constable although the county has a sheriff who comes through every once in awhile. We tend to handle our own problems and I can't think of a place I'd rather be in a SHTF situation. We are about a mile away from a major TVA lake and we have a river known for it's trout fishery that flows within a hundred yards or so of the house.There are several farms and we have a great deal of wild game and fishing opportunities.
I'm a bit of a gun nut. Actually I enjoy all sorts of weapons, reloading, casting bullets/balls, making archery equipment, and other quiet weapons. Snares are good for rabbits as are limb and trot lines and jug fishing for fish and turtles. Spears and arrows are good for frogs and fish.
Should the emergency go on for a long period there would also be feral farm animals like horses, cattle, goats, and we already have feral hogs.

I live in a very small town (Census claims 200 people) in a rural area well away from population centers. It's an area where everybody knows everybody. We don't have a police force or even a constable although the county has a sheriff who comes through every once in awhile. We tend to handle our own problems and I can't think of a place I'd rather be in a SHTF situation. We are about a mile away from a major TVA lake and we have a river known for it's trout fishery that flows within a hundred yards or so of the house.There are several farms and we have a great deal of wild game and fishing opportunities.
I'm a bit of a gun nut. Actually I enjoy all sorts of weapons, reloading, casting bullets/balls, making archery equipment, and other quiet weapons. Snares are good for rabbits as are limb and trot lines and jug fishing for fish and turtles. Spears and arrows are good for frogs and fish.
Should the emergency go on for a long period there would also be feral farm animals like horses, cattle, goats, and we already have feral hogs.

Feral hogs are something to be considered as well. While they are a source of tasty pork, they can also be seriously dangerous. I'd hate to face a sow defending here piglets and only have a wrist rocket.

sounds like you have the perfect situation 'doc' , I'm similar but my town is bigger than yours but gun people are all over the place plus the place is agricultural on a big river and woods , lakes and streams are quite close . Main thing here is that the population is all pretty similar common sense types and not that far removed from an1880 practical way of doing things . Main thing for me is that I am about 400 miles from the nearest big city !!

sounds like you have the perfect situation 'doc' , I'm similar but my town is bigger than yours but gun people are all over the place plus the place is agricultural on a big river and woods , lakes and streams are quite close . Main thing here is that the population is all pretty similar common sense types and not that far removed from an1880 practical way of doing things . Main thing for me is that I am about 400 miles from the nearest big city !!

Where I will be heading isn't quite as far away from a major city. I'll be 120 miles out of Atlanta in the boonies of east Alabama. Atlanta doesn't worry me as much as being just under 50 miles from Anniston AL and Redstone Arsenal. But its where I have land and friends.

A while back I was involved in a discussion where it became obvious that there are a lot of city and suburbia dwellers who think that because deer cruise through their gated communities once in a while, they were set once the supply trucks stopped rolling and the water stopped flowing. There were other city morons who thought they'd be able to trek cross country and invade the countryside, and get along just fine without being picked off by the rural locals.

So, so clueless.

Initially there will be the deer in the suburbs and will feed a few people for a week or two. But the deer are far more adaptable than the majority of the people. They'll be gone (or far harder to hunt) almost immediately.

Having recipes for rat would be a good idea.

Having a plan in place already gives you a few steps ahead of the mob i guess. It would be nice to have a sail boat, like many do here in SF area. you could just sail up or down the coast. do some fishing. even barter with fish i suppose. 50 miles out or so you can catch tuna out here

A while back I was involved in a discussion where it became obvious that there are a lot of city and suburbia dwellers who think that because deer cruise through their gated communities once in a while, they were set once the supply trucks stopped rolling and the water stopped flowing. There were other city morons who thought they'd be able to trek cross country and invade the countryside, and get along just fine without being picked off by the rural locals.

So, so clueless.

Initially there will be the deer in the suburbs and will feed a few people for a week or two. But the deer are far more adaptable than the majority of the people. They'll be gone (or far harder to hunt) almost immediately.

Having recipes for rat would be a good idea.

Having a plan in place already gives you a few steps ahead of the mob i guess. It would be nice to have a sail boat, like many do here in SF area. you could just sail up or down the coast. do some fishing. even barter with fish i suppose. 50 miles out or so you can catch tuna out here

A sailboat would be pretty sweet. Could lose weather forecasts.

"Feral hogs are something to be considered as well. While they are a source of tasty pork, they can also be seriously dangerous. I'd hate to face a sow defending here piglets and only have a wrist rocket."

Me too!

I'm definitely prepared for level 1, and I'd like to think I am also prepared for level 2, though I'm less sure of that.

I know that I'm prepared to take whatever means necessary to ensure that my family and I survive.

Anyone have plans or plans for plans? Or ideas?
You don't know that lots of people have plans for survival ? Where have you been ? On the moon ? There is a whole cult centered around it. They're called preppies. There are whole magazines devoted to it. I recommend American SURVIVAL Guide.

In numerous threads in this firearms forum, we have talked about survival weapons. I thought I'd start a thread about survival in real terms.

First of all, I think we need to define the situation, in terms of what we are facing. I'll just use 3 arbitrary terms to define the 3 basic situations that seem most likely.

Level 1: Short term disaster - This is what I think of as a widespread post-Katrina type situation. Complete disaster, but recovery measured in months.

Level 2: Medium term disaster - This is a societal collapse but without the destruction of some of the infrastructure. Far worse than a Level 1, but it is still about surviving until things get put back together. An invasion, revolution or even a plague could cause this. Recovery in a couple of years.

Level 3: TEOTWAWKI (The End Of The World As We Know It) - This could be a nuclear war, a major solar storm, or just some sort of apocalypse. This type event will see no recovery for at least a couple of generations.

You don't know that lots of people have plans for survival ? Where have you been ? On the moon ? There is a whole cult centered around it. They're called preppies. There are whole magazines devoted to it. I recommend American SURVIVAL Guide.

Of course there are. This post was to start a discussion about those plans.

you left out the one that happens to thousands of US citizens every DAY. survival of an attack by the punk right there within 5 yds of you. Until shtf, the longarm is irrelevant, cause you won't be able to access it (in time) you won't be able to run and get a pistol, either. Often, you won't have time enough to draw a CCW 'd pistol, either, unless you've practice doing so a lot.

if much of anything happens, a complete collapse will follow. the game, fish and known edible wild plants will be gone in a couple of months of any such collapse. nobody is going to be living off of the land, other than by being a cannibal. you can easily, however, live off of sprouts, potatoes grown in buckets, and similar stuff. Youtube is full of videos about that. openly revealed garden plots will get you raided/sniped. so they're not feasible, for at least a year after shtf, and even then, good idea to have them in the middle of a thicket, on a hill top

there is one board member in particular that would disagree with prepping , course her job as a gov employee is to take care of the sheeple . Gov has relief all figured out as far as she is concerned , probably some sort of 'fema' employee .

Yes, I know there are plenty of preppers. That was not the question.

I was specifically asking people on this forum if they have any plans or plans for plans.

Yes, I know there are plenty of preppers. That was not the question.
I was specifically asking people on this forum if they have any plans or plans for plans.
Yes the barbarian rebellion..we will be fueled by beer testosterone ,thc and red meat ,we will smash all high technology with big clubs ..shoot big guns..burn the whole shit house down and start again..then settle down with a female to breed a nice cave ,some fire.. it will be glorious

Forum List

Back