The Rossi Trifecta, Your Best Bug Out Buddy?

DarkFury

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2015
Sun, Sand And Palm Trees
Could well be folks. Got mine three days ago. One stock and three barrels.
20 gauge/22 LR/243 Winchester.
This gun is everything BUT a combat gun. And let's face it those counting on killing a deer and eating for weeks Must be planning on staying in one place.
THAT in itself could get you killed.

Life in a SHTF is going to depend on movement. Remember the M.O.V.E. idea.
Motionless
Objects
Ventilate
Easy

The Rossi Trifecta is an excellent survival combo. Small game or large game or birds, if they are around you WILL eat. A 7.62x39 is way to loud and will destroy your rabbit dinner.

This combo sits just fine in your back pack and weighs a LOT less then packing three regular long guns. Take this and wear a decent WORKING sidearm. If you really think you are going to need a battle rifle go ahead and take it but first you have to eat right?

Second stealth IS your friend. Travel light travel quick and travel quiet. A lot of people are counting on their 4x4s to get them around. NOT going to happen. IF SHTF there will be NO gas. You would be far better off with a mountain bike and anybody who remembers Nam has seen MANY times people using their bikes even without tires to move their stuff.

Asian women got in the habit of wearing rings because that IS where their wealth is. Anyway the Rossi Trifecta...

400 shipped to MY door!

I really like the Rossi trifecta. Handy and effective at what it is intended.

That said, I think I would spend a few more dollars and get a T/C Encore. I like the caliber selection better.

As for the idea that survival in the SHTF scenario requiring movement, I think that is not the case. The idea that you will either be a nomad or you will die pretty much dooms us all. Canned goods will run out in pretty short order. Who is growing food?

I think you can have a defensible location, and be able to range out from there. Limiting yourself to just what you can carry on a bicycle means serious limitations on ammo, first aid/medical supplies, and security. If there is a complete societal collapse, things will be insane and dangerous for the first 6 months to a year. Lay low.

• Banned

That said, I think I would spend a few more dollars and get a T/C Encore. I like the caliber selection better.

As for the idea that survival in the SHTF scenario requiring movement, I think that is not the case. The idea that you will either be a nomad or you will die pretty much dooms us all. Canned goods will run out in pretty short order. Who is growing food?

I think you can have a defensible location, and be able to range out from there. Limiting yourself to just what you can carry on a bicycle means serious limitations on ammo, first aid/medical supplies, and security. If there is a complete societal collapse, things will be insane and dangerous for the first 6 months to a year. Lay low.
Go rural, farms and fresh water supply. City people will head to the burbs. At least the ones who don't shoot each other. The burbs will go to the farms. The T/C is also an excellent choice.

Big fan of the single shot exchangeable barrel configuration. I am invested in the H&R/NEF line personally. Love the Rossi for th 22LR design. 22LR in the H&R's have their own platform and are not compatible with standard shotgun/rifle receivers.

Downside of Rossi is I don't think they ever got their barrel exchange off the ground.

• Banned
Big fan of the single shot exchangeable barrel configuration. I am invested in the H&R/NEF line personally. Love the Rossi for th 22LR design. 22LR in the H&R's have their own platform and are not compatible with standard shotgun/rifle receivers.

Downside of Rossi is I don't think they ever got their barrel exchange off the ground.
The only change I would like to see Rossi make is their shotgun barrel does NOT come in a bull barrel so it says NOT to shoot slugs. I can do wax loads to get by that or cut shells but would prefer slugs.

The only change I would like to see Rossi make is their shotgun barrel does NOT come in a bull barrel so it says NOT to shoot slugs. I can do wax loads to get by that or cut shells but would prefer slugs.

That's weird, because Rossi's shotgun barrels are based on H&R's design, and I've shot hundreds of slugs thru mine with no issues. Is it a fixed full choke? That may be why. But there are rifled slugs that are designed to squeeze thru full chokes, or you can do what I did and and have it reamed and tapped for screw in chokes.

Go rural, farms and fresh water supply. City people will head to the burbs. At least the ones who don't shoot each other. The burbs will go to the farms. The T/C is also an excellent choice.

Rural is the way to go, for sure. And as for staying mobile, weight becomes a huge issue. I just did a little research and calculations for a 3 gun setup. With a Springfield Scout Squad in .308, a Remington 870 12 ga, and an M1911 .45ACP, plus 200 rnds of .308, 63 rns of 00 Buckshot (50 rnds in a bandolier,7 in the weapon, and 6 in the carrier), and 10 magazines of 8 rnds each of .45ACP, your weapons and ammo tips the scales at around 40 lbs (this does not include optics,slings,cleaning kits, holsters ect). If you carry a Bushmaster Carbon 15 AR in .223 with 200 rounds, your weapons and ammo load comes in at 36 lbs.

When I was young and a backpacker, I tried to keep my loaded pack at less than 55lbs. And that was food, shelter, cooking gear, clothing ect ect. Most people would have issues with a 45 lb load for extended hikes.

One issue with the mountain bikes that I have thought of. Yes, you increase the amount you can carry and you increase your speed. But you limit yourself to mainly trails, even in a rural environment. And increasing speed means decreasing the chances you will be able to avoid an ambush or a boobytrap, both of which would be expected in a post-SHTF scenario.

Now if you have a bunker or place to hole-up, you can use the Rossi to hunt and only have the weight of your weapon, ammo, and a sidearm for defensive purposes. A single shot is great then, because it is lighter. It also means you only take one shot. It is harder to figure out where the sound came from with only one shot fired.

• Banned

That's weird, because Rossi's shotgun barrels are based on H&R's design, and I've shot hundreds of slugs thru mine with no issues. Is it a fixed full choke? That may be why. But there are rifled slugs that are designed to squeeze thru full chokes, or you can do what I did and and have it reamed and tapped for screw in chokes.
Yeah, it lists right in the owners manual DO NOT SHOOT SLUGS.
I don't HAVE to but I like the option.

• Banned

Rural is the way to go, for sure. And as for staying mobile, weight becomes a huge issue. I just did a little research and calculations for a 3 gun setup. With a Springfield Scout Squad in .308, a Remington 870 12 ga, and an M1911 .45ACP, plus 200 rnds of .308, 63 rns of 00 Buckshot (50 rnds in a bandolier,7 in the weapon, and 6 in the carrier), and 10 magazines of 8 rnds each of .45ACP, your weapons and ammo tips the scales at around 40 lbs (this does not include optics,slings,cleaning kits, holsters ect). If you carry a Bushmaster Carbon 15 AR in .223 with 200 rounds, your weapons and ammo load comes in at 36 lbs.

When I was young and a backpacker, I tried to keep my loaded pack at less than 55lbs. And that was food, shelter, cooking gear, clothing ect ect. Most people would have issues with a 45 lb load for extended hikes.

One issue with the mountain bikes that I have thought of. Yes, you increase the amount you can carry and you increase your speed. But you limit yourself to mainly trails, even in a rural environment. And increasing speed means decreasing the chances you will be able to avoid an ambush or a boobytrap, both of which would be expected in a post-SHTF scenario.

Now if you have a bunker or place to hole-up, you can use the Rossi to hunt and only have the weight of your weapon, ammo, and a sidearm for defensive purposes. A single shot is great then, because it is lighter. It also means you only take one shot. It is harder to figure out where the sound came from with only one shot fired.
I don't see movement as something you would have to do daily but you may HAVE to move. And rolling weight is a lot better then packing weight.

Anyone consider the Chiappa X? Ability to fire multiple rounds is why I selected it in the other thread paired with the Raging Judge for same reason. Say you are hunting in shotgun config having the 454 still gives you ability to deal with most anything and if it comes to foraging for ammo better chance of keeping them in action.

Just found the weights on MREs. According to what I found, they weigh between 18 and 26 ozs each. So if you only eat 2 meals a day, a 30 day supply will run you between 67.5 lbs and 97.5 lbs. Even with a bike you now have better than 100 lbs to carry in just guns, ammo, and food. Yes, a cache could lighten that. But it would mean repeated trips to a single location, which is noticeable and leaves a trail.

Anyone consider the Chiappa X? Ability to fire multiple rounds is why I selected it in the other thread paired with the Raging Judge for same reason. Say you are hunting in shotgun config having the 454 still gives you ability to deal with most anything and if it comes to foraging for ammo better chance of keeping them in action.

I liked the idea in the other thread too. Excellent way to have 2 calibers ready, and the option of more if needed.

You can walk the bike when you have to. The only problem with it is if you need to vamoose it'll slow you down and you run the risk of loosing everything if you have to ditch it.
Of course you would have a small pack on you at all times so you wouldnt be left with nothing.

Yeah, it lists right in the owners manual DO NOT SHOOT SLUGS.
I don't HAVE to but I like the option.

I have a Rossi-Braztech Matched Pair Pistol with a 22LR and a 410/45lc barrel.

The owners manual says "22 long rifle only" in bold capital letters and some exclamation points. But that's just stupid, any 22lr single shot will safely shoot 22 longs and 22 shorts. So I've ignored it, with no repercussions. Chalked it up to an overly cautious legal disclaimer team.

We've (the wife and I) decided that we are going to hunker down here in our rural town. It's quiet here, lots of hunters and good ol' boys. And there is just too much to move or duplicate purchase.

Ever read Ferfal Aguirre's blog?

That's how I see our collapse...not a total meltdown, just you better be ready.

IMO, it is going to be safer and the quality of life will be higher in a town with a local infrastructure already in place.

We've (the wife and I) decided that we are going to hunker down here in our rural town. It's quiet here, lots of hunters and good ol' boys. And there is just too much to move or duplicate purchase.

IMO, it is going to be safer and the quality of life will be higher in a town with a local infrastructure already in place.

I agree. I think most people focus on firearms for the SHTF scenarios. And they will be needed. But there are many, many other things that seem to be forgotten.

Also, when people talk about SHTF scenarios, they don't think about whether they are talking about a Katrina type situation, a temporary collapse of social order, or a complete meltdown of our society.

I agree. I think most people focus on firearms for the SHTF scenarios. And they will be needed. But there are many, many other things that seem to be forgotten.

Also, when people talk about SHTF scenarios, they don't think about whether they are talking about a Katrina type situation, a temporary collapse of social order, or a complete meltdown of our society.

Exactly. What are we buying for SHTF? Things like crocks for fermentation, mason jars, hand woodworking tools, nails and screws in jars from auctions and yard sales, barrels that iodine came in from livestock farmers.

The wood stove in my shop has the pot holes for cooking. We just bought a wood stove for the house, before EPA regulations kicked in. I'm learning how to work leather. All these things save us money in the long run...we eat better from the garden, and there are no preservatives, dyes and other junk in the food we can. And I love to make things myself...it's fun and satisfying.

Exactly. What are we buying for SHTF? Things like crocks for fermentation, mason jars, hand woodworking tools, nails and screws in jars from auctions and yard sales, barrels that iodine came in from livestock farmers.

The wood stove in my shop has the pot holes for cooking. We just bought a wood stove for the house, before EPA regulations kicked in. I'm learning how to work leather. All these things save us money in the long run...we eat better from the garden, and there are no preservatives, dyes and other junk in the food we can. And I love to make things myself...it's fun and satisfying.

Now THAT is how you prep for SHTF!!!

Forum List

Back