When it hits the fan. A survival discussion.

You'd still need a firearm for protection.
So what kind of hammock do you have? I love my Warbonnet blackbird with the super fly. The worst thing about a hammock is you freeze your balls off without proper insulation,but they are cooler in the summer than a tent.

My Odyssey US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

I've got a single Eagles Nest Outfitters backpacking hammock. It scrunches down to the size of a burrito supreme. On my trip, my Thermarest got slashed while I was climbing over a barbed wire fence. But, I found that the Thermarest fit better inside my hammock when it was deflated. I wore a knit cap and used my jacket for a pillow. Anyway, it doesn't get very cold in Northern California.

Guns make noise, are heavy, ammo is heavy, and guns get wet. If I bought a gun it would be a simple, collapsible survival rifle. A wrist rocket is silent and will put a dent in the skull of someone on your tail.

You'd still need a firearm for self defense.The wrist rocket wouldn't do you much good when your adversary has a rifle or pistol.
And it'd be a shame to see a nice fat rabbit out of range of that wrist rocket when you're starving.
Going it alone would be easier as far as feeding yourself and staying hidden for sure. Having a family with small children would be a son of a bitch.

random thought , there is no never ending supply or stock of wildlife ready to be taken for survival . Another though , PET dogs while they can be eaten they won't last forever and stray dogs get mad when starving and form into packs . Rip a man to shreds in a couple minutes . Lot people in the big city have pet dogs that will probably become killers .
As long as rodents exist there will always be wildlife. Also bugs are a good source of protein. Dogs are not too bright and leave plenty of signs they are around even after going feral. The problem with dogs is they will have no natural fear of man like wild animals do.

Once people started shooting and eating em they would.
One of the better survival tools for food would be a shitload of rat traps.
Good for squirrels and rats.
And of course the old steel jaw traps and fish traps.
That frees you up to take care of other pressing needs since you're not spending all your time hunting.
I am not eating squirrel or rat. Screw that.

I'll eat venison, fish, elk. Cow if I can find it. And I can find it, lol.
A while back I was involved in a discussion where it became obvious that there are a lot of city and suburbia dwellers who think that because deer cruise through their gated communities once in a while, they were set once the supply trucks stopped rolling and the water stopped flowing. There were other city morons who thought they'd be able to trek cross country and invade the countryside, and get along just fine without being picked off by the rural locals.

So, so clueless.

Yep..city folks would be the first to die. Not enough resources and to many people. Couple that with disease and dysentery from drinking contaminated water and you'd have hell on earth in short order.
The suburbs would be marginally better with swimming pools for water and the room to grow a garden but the starving city folks would become a problem real fast.
Moving out to the boonies would be incredibly dangerous with the locals protecting their property but they would eventually be over run by the masses.
You'd really need a large group for protection but then you'd have the problem of feeding that many people.
The best bet IMHO would be to hole up somewhere until after the first die off but of course you'd have to be prepared for at least six months for that to happen.

Naw, country folks can hold their own against the masses, don't worry.

I dont think they would. It would be a simple matter of surrounding the farm house and waiting em out or burning em out.
The only way to survive the initial die off would be to stay hidden.
But again that would take preparation before hand.

Yeah you don't live in the country, do you?

I lived in a county that only had 2600 people and the nearest grocery store was fifty miles away. So yeah I lived way out in the boonies.
If it was a solar flare or an EMP you would have a better chance since most vehicles wouldnt run and the majority would die off before they could get to you.

And like I said,if they cant leave the house without getting shot eventually they'd starve or die of thirst while the siege layers would be free to hunt,trap and fish.
You'd really need to stay hidden. Which is why you'd be better off with the rat traps and the like. Firing weapons is a dead giveaway.[/QUOTE
So what kind of hammock do you have? I love my Warbonnet blackbird with the super fly. The worst thing about a hammock is you freeze your balls off without proper insulation,but they are cooler in the summer than a tent.

I've got a single Eagles Nest Outfitters backpacking hammock. It scrunches down to the size of a burrito supreme. On my trip, my Thermarest got slashed while I was climbing over a barbed wire fence. But, I found that the Thermarest fit better inside my hammock when it was deflated. I wore a knit cap and used my jacket for a pillow. Anyway, it doesn't get very cold in Northern California.

Guns make noise, are heavy, ammo is heavy, and guns get wet. If I bought a gun it would be a simple, collapsible survival rifle. A wrist rocket is silent and will put a dent in the skull of someone on your tail.

You'd still need a firearm for self defense.The wrist rocket wouldn't do you much good when your adversary has a rifle or pistol.
And it'd be a shame to see a nice fat rabbit out of range of that wrist rocket when you're starving.
Going it alone would be easier as far as feeding yourself and staying hidden for sure. Having a family with small children would be a son of a bitch.

But it can be done.

random thought , there is no never ending supply or stock of wildlife ready to be taken for survival . Another though , PET dogs while they can be eaten they won't last forever and stray dogs get mad when starving and form into packs . Rip a man to shreds in a couple minutes . Lot people in the big city have pet dogs that will probably become killers .
As long as rodents exist there will always be wildlife. Also bugs are a good source of protein. Dogs are not too bright and leave plenty of signs they are around even after going feral. The problem with dogs is they will have no natural fear of man like wild animals do.

That frees you up to take care of other pressing needs since you're not spending all your time hunting.

Yep..city folks would be the first to die. Not enough resources and to many people. Couple that with disease and dysentery from drinking contaminated water and you'd have hell on earth in short order.
The suburbs would be marginally better with swimming pools for water and the room to grow a garden but the starving city folks would become a problem real fast.
Moving out to the boonies would be incredibly dangerous with the locals protecting their property but they would eventually be over run by the masses.
You'd really need a large group for protection but then you'd have the problem of feeding that many people.
The best bet IMHO would be to hole up somewhere until after the first die off but of course you'd have to be prepared for at least six months for that to happen.

I dont think they would. It would be a simple matter of surrounding the farm house and waiting em out or burning em out.

I lived in a county that only had 2600 people and the nearest grocery store was fifty miles away. So yeah I lived way out in the boonies.
If it was a solar flare or an EMP you would have a better chance since most vehicles wouldnt run and the majority would die off before they could get to you.

And like I said,if they cant leave the house without getting shot eventually they'd starve or die of thirst while the siege layers would be free to hunt,trap and fish.
You'd really need to stay hidden. Which is why you'd be better off with the rat traps and the like. Firing weapons is a dead giveaway.[/QUOTE

But it can be done.

Which part? The family or the wrist rocket?
The worst part of having a family would be protecting them which you couldnt really do without a firearm. And hunting in any form would be difficult at best with a family of four tagging along and making a racket. And you wouldnt want to leave em alone while you were hunting unless the wife was armed.

But it can be done.

The worst part of having a family would be protecting them which you couldnt really do without a firearm. And hunting in any form would be difficult at best with a family of four tagging along and making a racket. And you wouldnt want to leave em alone while you were hunting unless the wife was armed.

The family..I'm speaking in terms of single parents with children. Two parents with children can easily do this...children can work and shoot as well as adults. And they can be taught. Indians did it, and some of them still do.

You'd still need a firearm for self defense.

The problem with guns is that I'm never going to have more guns than you gun nuts :) . Better to stay unseen and unheard.

You can make a box trap for rabbits.

You can only shoot one gun at a time. And I'd prefer wire snares. You can carry a crap load of em since they weigh next to nothing and they pack small. And of course two or three Yoyos would be indispensable.

But it can be done.

The family..I'm speaking in terms of single parents with children. Two parents with children can easily do this...children can work and shoot as well as adults. And they can be taught. Indians did it, and some of them still do.

As long as you were armed it would be doable.
Wouldnt want to try it with just a wrist rocket for sure.

Feral dogs would be a serious hazard fairly quickly. And knowing how a pack operates would mean the difference between surviving and feeding the pack, unless you are well armed.
I've had my run ins with feral packs while in Georgia at Ft Gordon. Dogs dont have the intelligence nor the determination of say a pack of wolves. Wolves or bears would be my some of my biggest worries if they were around. A bear would just simply take anything it wanted if you didnt have a weapon. Wolves would get you just by wearing you out.

A feral dog pack will have the same organization as a wolf pack. If you are alone, you will have one dog facing you and looking the most aggressive. But the alpha

A while back I was involved in a discussion where it became obvious that there are a lot of city and suburbia dwellers who think that because deer cruise through their gated communities once in a while, they were set once the supply trucks stopped rolling and the water stopped flowing. There were other city morons who thought they'd be able to trek cross country and invade the countryside, and get along just fine without being picked off by the rural locals.

So, so clueless.

Rat I don't know, but you are so missing out not eating squirrel meat. Squirrel season ended Feb 15th, and my freezer is already almost squirrel bare. Had to make room for goose anyway, but I'll sure miss it until May.

Squirrel is delicious!!! Fried is great, but Squirrel & Dumplings is a dish fit for a king! (King Bubba, but a king nonetheless)

Fish trap:

How to Make a Primitive Funnel Fish Trap that keeps on giving.

catfish-in-trap.jpg

Feral dogs would be a serious hazard fairly quickly. And knowing how a pack operates would mean the difference between surviving and feeding the pack, unless you are well armed.
I've had my run ins with feral packs while in Georgia at Ft Gordon. Dogs dont have the intelligence nor the determination of say a pack of wolves. Wolves or bears would be my some of my biggest worries if they were around. A bear would just simply take anything it wanted if you didnt have a weapon. Wolves would get you just by wearing you out.

A feral dog pack will have the same organization as a wolf pack. If you are alone, you will have one dog facing you and looking the most aggressive. But the alpha

Rat I don't know, but you are so missing out not eating squirrel meat. Squirrel season ended Feb 15th, and my freezer is already almost squirrel bare. Had to make room for goose anyway, but I'll sure miss it until May.

Squirrel is delicious!!! Fried is great, but Squirrel & Dumplings is a dish fit for a king! (King Bubba, but a king nonetheless)

I've found that most who say they wouldnt eat squirrel have never tried it.
Some of the best eating in the woods. And they're plentiful,all you need to find is a creek or river bottom with hard woods and you're eaten good.

You'd still need a firearm for self defense.

The problem with guns is that I'm never going to have more guns than you gun nuts :) . Better to stay unseen and unheard.

You can make a box trap for rabbits.

Having a greater number of guns is not going to help in most situations. Being good with whatever gun you have is what will help you.

For small game a good pellet gun would be great. Lower cost, very quiet, and you could buy tens of thousands of pellets without breaking the bank.

I've seen sling shots that sling little arrows or bolts . I know nothing about them except seeing them . Sling shot are fine , same as a bow and then knives of course . Maybe a .22 magnum for a revolver and then a little .22 mag Ruger carbine like a 10-22 . .22 mag is pretty powerful , you can carry a lot of ammo , good for defense or small game . And then in a thread a few months back a gent from Missouri was talking spears and the Atlatl . Then again a suppressed 10-22 , a suppressed little Ruger or Browning pistol and an 8 or 10 shot .22 revolver [kit gun] for when and if the others break . [just thinking]

I've found that most who say they wouldnt eat squirrel have never tried it.
Some of the best eating in the woods. And they're plentiful,all you need to find is a creek or river bottom with hard woods and you're eaten good.

Yeah but it's not all about the taste, you know.

I saw a chipmunk with a warble in it once, it was one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen in my life..and in my family, we didn't eat rodent no matter how cute it was. We ate fish and game and birds....but squirrel wasn't considered game. Neither was rabbit, actually. It's just a family thing.

if you are hungry enough you'll eat that little chippy and its WARBLE , maybe even before you cook it .

For small game a good pellet gun would be great. Lower cost, very quiet, and you could buy tens of thousands of pellets without breaking the bank.

Got a couple when 22LR disappeared. A lot more accurate than one would think, after you get the hang of holding them properly...at least as far as break action springers are concerned.

In numerous threads in this firearms forum, we have talked about survival weapons. I thought I'd start a thread about survival in real terms.

First of all, I think we need to define the situation, in terms of what we are facing. I'll just use 3 arbitrary terms to define the 3 basic situations that seem most likely.

Level 1: Short term disaster - This is what I think of as a widespread post-Katrina type situation. Complete disaster, but recovery measured in months.

Level 2: Medium term disaster - This is a societal collapse but without the destruction of some of the infrastructure. Far worse than a Level 1, but it is still about surviving until things get put back together. An invasion, revolution or even a plague could cause this. Recovery in a couple of years.

Level 3: TEOTWAWKI (The End Of The World As We Know It) - This could be a nuclear war, a major solar storm, or just some sort of apocalypse. This type event will see no recovery for at least a couple of generations.

Anyone have plans or plans for plans? Or ideas?

I have guns and the addresses of the anti gunners ....figure I'll just "borrow" everything I need from them........

Forum List

Back