When it hits the fan. A survival discussion.

my plan is to literally hide in a hole in the ground, for up to a year, while nearly everyone dies/is killed. With 90-99% of the risk gone, come out to pick up all the goodies that will be left laying around.

my plan is to literally hide in a hole in the ground, for up to a year, while nearly everyone dies/is killed. With 90-99% of the risk gone, come out to pick up all the goodies that will be left laying around.

And hope no one finds your hole?

I agree with the Bug-In idea. I'm just not sure it will be as easy as you make it sound.

So that takes a years worth of food and water- and then hoping when you come out- that there will be food that somehow the ravenous hordes overlooked?

I am ready for situation 1- we have food and probably water. Presuming it happened somewhat locally, I have a place where my family could bug out too.

The other two situations- here is the thing- without a remote compound your chances of survival would be rather slim.

But the odds of either of the other two situations are very remote- so do you invest in a survival compound on the slight chance the end of the world comes?

I enjoy a good end of the world fiction as much as anyone- but in the books- the heroes are the ones who survive- by luck or by skill or by some combination thereof.

Given all these hypotheticals at this point in my life I'd probably last a couple of months at the very best. The idea would be trying to find someone who would take care of the wife (she's 9 years younger than me) and send her on her way, from there I have to decide whether to let myself die slowly or quickly.

A determined (or desperate group) is capable of rooting you out of a hole.

I would suggest emergency exits and supplies stashed in at least two caches away from your hidey-hole.

In numerous threads in this firearms forum, we have talked about survival weapons. I thought I'd start a thread about survival in real terms.

First of all, I think we need to define the situation, in terms of what we are facing. I'll just use 3 arbitrary terms to define the 3 basic situations that seem most likely.

Level 1: Short term disaster - This is what I think of as a widespread post-Katrina type situation. Complete disaster, but recovery measured in months.

Level 2: Medium term disaster - This is a societal collapse but without the destruction of some of the infrastructure. Far worse than a Level 1, but it is still about surviving until things get put back together. An invasion, revolution or even a plague could cause this. Recovery in a couple of years.

Level 3: TEOTWAWKI (The End Of The World As We Know It) - This could be a nuclear war, a major solar storm, or just some sort of apocalypse. This type event will see no recovery for at least a couple of generations.

Anyone have plans or plans for plans? Or ideas?

We have plans in place, with supplies, for all the way up to a Level 3. We live in earthquake country and if you don't have a good earthquake kit you're a fool.

I would suggest emergency exits and supplies stashed in at least two caches away from your hidey-hole.

I guess he's never heard of how one deals with moles. What a silly, silly person.

I guess he's never heard of how one deals with moles. What a silly, silly person.

Yeah, part of my plan is to find people who thought hunkering down in a bunker was a good plan. lol

Yeah, part of my plan is to find people who thought hunkering down in a bunker was a good plan. lol

Ya gotta love a stationary target....

I believe Patton called them "monuments to the stupidity of man".

I believe Patton called them "monuments to the stupidity of man".

Nailed it.

Much of the discussion in this thread has been about weapons. So let's go more in depth.

What do SHTF weapons need to be like?

I would think, without talking calibers or models, there are characteristics that can be addressed.

#1 - Durable & reliable. There won't be any mail order parts or repair shops. The guns in question need to work well in adverse conditions without being babied.

What else?

if much of anything happens, a complete collapse will follow. the game, fish and known edible wild plants will be gone in a couple of months of any such collapse. nobody is going to be living off of the land, other than by being a cannibal. you can easily, however, live off of sprouts, potatoes grown in buckets, and similar stuff. Youtube is full of videos about that. openly revealed garden plots will get you raided/sniped. so they're not feasible, for at least a year after shtf, and even then, good idea to have them in the middle of a thicket, on a hill top

I think you've got it backwards. I tend to think that after a couple of months most everybody still alive will be living off the land. People who are not already skilled at living off the land are not likely to get the opportunity to learn. If you don't already have your vegetables nearly grown-and if you can't defend them-you won't be able to wait for them before starvation comes to call. Even more important than food is potable water. You can't grow a spring or clean stream in a bucket.

Much of the discussion in this thread has been about weapons. So let's go more in depth.

I would think, without talking calibers or models, there are characteristics that can be addressed.

#1 - Durable & reliable. There won't be any mail order parts or repair shops. The guns in question need to work well in adverse conditions without being babied.

What else?

To durable and reliable I would add versatile. Able to accomplish many tasks with the same weapon.
I would have to think a good quality 12 Ga. double bl. shotgun might deserve serious consideration.

What else?

To durable and reliable I would add versatile. Able to accomplish many tasks with the same weapon.
I would have to think a good quality 12 Ga. double bl. shotgun might deserve serious consideration.

Good point. Versatility is a big factor.

Forum List

Back