Zone1 What was the point of asking for the sacrifice of Isaac by his Father? Gen. 22

Cougarbear

Gold Member
Jan 29, 2022
Why did God ask Abraham to sacrifice his Son? And why did he say Abraham's ONLY son? Ishmael was also a son of Abraham. Isaac wasn't even the first born. So, I'd like to see responses by Jews, Muslims and Christians on this.

Why did God ask Abraham to sacrifice his Son? And why did he say Abraham's ONLY son? Ishmael was also a son of Abraham. Isaac wasn't even the first born. So, I'd like to see responses by Jews, Muslims and Christians on this.
You don't know? To see if mankind was worthy of him sacrificing his own son, which he planned to do.

Lucky for mankind Abraham did it the way he did. It would be a totally different world if he had done differently.

You don't know? To see if mankind was worthy of him sacrificing his own son, which he planned to do.

Lucky for mankind Abraham did it the way he did. It would be a totally different world if he had done differently.
So, you are saying this was a similitude of the sacrifice of the only begotten of the Father in the flesh, Jehovah or Jesus Christ. How would the world be different if Abraham wasn't asked to do this? And, why did he say Isaac was his only son?

ba'al the god of ur of the chaldees, abraham's home town. abram's god, ba'al ( "allah" in arabic and means "the lord" ,) was a regular inhaler of the smoke from burning children. bad habit.

the sacrifice of isaac may have been demanded by abram's people as a religious tradition, but it seemed like a good time to stop the human sacrifices....

I have also wondered about this. It seems an odd test of faithfulness, especially when a third party would pay the price. I have the same question about Lot's family. Didn't they count for anything?
I'm glad you mentioned the third party for the concept of atonement. There are some in here that think we can atone for ourselves our sins. The very world suggests a third party. And, that the Lord said Isaac was his ONLY son. He wasn't. Does this mean that Father in Heaven has more than one child? Seems that way.
With Lot, Abraham bartered a bit with God getting the number down to 10 righteous persons before destroying the cities. Yet, Lot's family had less than 10 so the cities were destroyed. My take is that the wickedness was so bad that there was no ability for anyone to choose good or evil, which is a main point for us to be here. The City of Enoch was taken from the earth, not by destruction, but because the people had come to the point that they would not choose evil. Thus, no one would have the two choices. God removes those people from the earth. The method is based on if they are good or evil. And, Lot and his family were also wicked. The wife turned and looked at the cities burning and turned into a pillar of salt. The daughters raped their father after getting him drunk.

So, you are saying this was a similitude of the sacrifice of the only begotten of the Father in the flesh, Jehovah or Jesus Christ. How would the world be different if Abraham wasn't asked to do this? And, why did he say Isaac was his only son?
It was a test. God may have not sacrificed his own son if Abraham had failed it.

There would be no Jesus known on earth, time would be counted differently. There's no telling what else would be different. :dunno:

ba'al the god of ur of the chaldees, abraham's home town. abram's god, ba'al ( "allah" in arabic and means "the lord" ,) was a regular inhaler of the smoke from burning children. bad habit.

the sacrifice of isaac may have been demanded by abram's people as a religious tradition, but it seemed like a good time to stop the human sacrifices....

Muslims think the story of Isaac/Abraham was about God forbidding blood sacrifice forever.

I'm glad you mentioned the third party for the concept of atonement. There are some in here that think we can atone for ourselves our sins. The very world suggests a third party. And, that the Lord said Isaac was his ONLY son. He wasn't. Does this mean that Father in Heaven has more than one child? Seems that way.
With Lot, Abraham bartered a bit with God getting the number down to 10 righteous persons before destroying the cities. Yet, Lot's family had less than 10 so the cities were destroyed. My take is that the wickedness was so bad that there was no ability for anyone to choose good or evil, which is a main point for us to be here. The City of Enoch was taken from the earth, not by destruction, but because the people had come to the point that they would not choose evil. Thus, no one would have the two choices. God removes those people from the earth. The method is based on if they are good or evil. And, Lot and his family were also wicked. The wife turned and looked at the cities burning and turned into a pillar of salt. The daughters raped their father after getting him drunk.
Actually, I was thinking of Job when I said Lot.

Sodom and Gomorrah is a morality tale about mistreating travelers and sexual violence. The cities of the plain were long gone before Abraham and Lot.

It was a test. God may have not sacrificed his own son if Abraham had failed it.

There would be no Jesus known on earth, time would be counted differently. There's no telling what else would be different. :dunno:
I have wondered if Adam had not partaken of the fruit, would God have provided another to take Adam’s place? Eve as well? Maybe God would have chosen someone else.

Sodom and Gomorrah is a morality tale about mistreating travelers and sexual violence. The cities of the plain were long gone before Abraham and Lot.
Move on…We have the Bible and know the Lord destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah.

I have wondered if Adam had not partaken of the fruit, would God have provided another to take Adam’s place? Eve as well? Maybe God would have chosen someone else.
and may have done so an infinitude of iterations before he finally found these suckers.

God enjoyed fooling around with stupid humans...duh LIke Today God is keeping JOey buyme alive to mess with us

Ishmael was cast out of the family by Sarah, therefore Isaac was Abrahams 'only' son. Abraham loved Ishmael but did Ishmael love his father. However, it was clearly God's doing by selecting Isaac's line to bring forth the messiah. Ishmael's line was also rewarded but only materially.

Regarding the sacrifice, Abraham was the God-type, Isaac the Christ type. Isaac, like Christ, was 'as good as dead' symbolically when he submitted to his father's will. It was a 'rehearsal' of things to come.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back