What Killed Rock-N-Roll?

Rock and Roll was a primarily white genre of music from the late 50's that was a mixture of Black R&B, blues, and country music. There were black R&R musicians like Chuck Berry, Little Richard, etc, but the primary target audience was young white teens. One of the main purposes of R&R was to make Black music something marketable to a primarily young white audience.

What killed R&R was hallucinogenic drugs. Prior to the mid-60's, most R&R musicians imbibed in mostly alcohol, pot, and sometimes methamphetamines or heroin. When musicians started experimenting with hallucinogenics like LSD, peyote, and psilocybin in the early to mid 1960's, Rock an Roll started changing.
For the better. Until then Rock was confined to the cage the record companies had built for it. It did not come into it's own as an art form until some groups gained enough clout to tell the record company to get off their back and let them make something other than 3 1/2 minutes of socially acceptable AM radio pap.

Rock and Roll was a primarily white genre of music from the late 50's that was a mixture of Black R&B, blues, and country music. There were black R&R musicians like Chuck Berry, Little Richard, etc, but the primary target audience was young white teens. One of the main purposes of R&R was to make Black music something marketable to a primarily young white audience.

What killed R&R was hallucinogenic drugs. Prior to the mid-60's, most R&R musicians imbibed in mostly alcohol, pot, and sometimes methamphetamines or heroin. When musicians started experimenting with hallucinogenics like LSD, peyote, and psilocybin in the early to mid 1960's, Rock and Roll started changing.
Right, but you didn't see alot of that with the 70's bands. Herion was a issue though. One of the things that killed rock was the changing of the rock formula. It was to record a album go on tour to promote it for a year, come off the road record another, go back on the road over and over. starting probably late 80's bands started recording albums every few years. That killed the bands inspiration. I am a songwriter and when you have inspiration you can't stop or you'll lose it.

What Killed Rock-N-Roll?
This is a thread I have wanted to start for a long time. If your my age 58 and grew up listening to bands like Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, The Beatles, The Who etc... Than I know that the absence of Rock-N-Roll in your life today bothers you as much as it does me.

If you look this up online you will find a myriad of reasons as to what killed rock-n-roll, but I'm not going to go over all of these but will just touch on some of them.

Quoting Gene Simmons:
Simmons spoke about rock's supposed diminishing status during a new interview with Jonathan Clarke of New York's Q104.3 radio station. Asked if he meant his original "rock is dead" comment in terms of radio airplay or streaming numbers, Gene said: "In all ways. And the culprits are the young fans. You killed the thing that you love. Because as soon as streaming came in, you took away a chance for the new great bands who are there in the shadows, who can't quit their day job 'cause you can't make a dime putting your music out there, because when you download stuff, it's one-hundredth or one-thousandth of one penny. And so you've gotta have millions to millions, and even billions of downloads before you can make a few grand. And the fans have killed that thing. So the business is dead. And that means that the next BEATLES or the next whoever is never gonna get the chance that we did. We had record companies that gave us millions of dollars so we can make records and tour, and not worry about a nine-to-five [job]. Because when you're worried about nine-to-five, you don't have the time to sit there and devote to your art, whatever that is."

Quoting Bob Dylan:

From its fused inception, rock ‘n’ roll was already a racially integrated American invention being blasted in teenage bedrooms as early as 1955, but as the Civil Rights Movement was gaining momentum going into 1960, the genre was being commercially segregated, on the sly, into white (British Invasion) and black (soul) music by the (WASPy) establishment.

“Racial prejudice has been around awhile, so, yeah. And that was extremely threatening for the city fathers, I would think. When they finally recognized what it was, they had to dismantle it, which they did, starting with payola scandals. The black element was turned into soul music, and the white element was turned into English pop. They separated it […] Well, it was apart of my DNA, so it never disappeared from me. I just incorporated it into other aspects of what I was doing. I don’t know if this answers the question. [Laughs.] I can’t remember what the question was.”

The same article is also about payola paid to disc jockeys across the country to play certain songs from white artist.

From an article at spinditty.com

Why Isn't Rock Music Popular Anymore?​

These are samples of responses from a forum that asked the question of why rock music is in decline.

• "Music for youth is now about the packaging and the presentation—not the music."
  • "Today's 'stars' are nothing more than video-created characters that rely too much on flashing lights, backup dancers, video editing to make them look like they're actually singing, and much much more."
  • "It's all about making lots of money now."

The best reasons I have found for the demise of rock music can be found on this YouTube video from a guy name Rick Beato. Worth the watch.

So, what's your opinion on what killed rock-n-roll?

Nah, Gene is off base. Of course fans are going to go the cheapest route. They also have to focus on the 9 to 5... duh, Gene. Maybe Gene should talk to the record companies willing to put the music on streaming services for virtually nothing. Maybe he should look at the virtual monopoly in the music streaming industry and FM radio stations.

Gene Simmons and people like Hetfield could not be more tone deaf. Yes, blame the fans... real smart, dumbasses.. go and blame the people who actually want to listen to your music. Somebody slap these guys.

I've been to weddings where the bands played '50's rock, and everyone loved it, even the kids.

I would not listen to music my parents listened to (but I do like Swing now)

My kids love Rock and Roll

Last edited:
I wouldn't say that any format is dead as long as at least one person is still making the music. You may have to dig for whatever it is that you are looking for, but at least there is something to find and discover at all. :) :) :)

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. If anything, what you are looking for may be under another name these days, but it is still there to find. :) :) :)

What Killed Rock-N-Roll?
This is a thread I have wanted to start for a long time. If your my age 58 and grew up listening to bands like Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, The Beatles, The Who etc... Than I know that the absence of Rock-N-Roll in your life today bothers you as much as it does me.

If you look this up online you will find a myriad of reasons as to what killed rock-n-roll, but I'm not going to go over all of these but will just touch on some of them.

Quoting Gene Simmons:
Simmons spoke about rock's supposed diminishing status during a new interview with Jonathan Clarke of New York's Q104.3 radio station. Asked if he meant his original "rock is dead" comment in terms of radio airplay or streaming numbers, Gene said: "In all ways. And the culprits are the young fans. You killed the thing that you love. Because as soon as streaming came in, you took away a chance for the new great bands who are there in the shadows, who can't quit their day job 'cause you can't make a dime putting your music out there, because when you download stuff, it's one-hundredth or one-thousandth of one penny. And so you've gotta have millions to millions, and even billions of downloads before you can make a few grand. And the fans have killed that thing. So the business is dead. And that means that the next BEATLES or the next whoever is never gonna get the chance that we did. We had record companies that gave us millions of dollars so we can make records and tour, and not worry about a nine-to-five [job]. Because when you're worried about nine-to-five, you don't have the time to sit there and devote to your art, whatever that is."

Quoting Bob Dylan:

From its fused inception, rock ‘n’ roll was already a racially integrated American invention being blasted in teenage bedrooms as early as 1955, but as the Civil Rights Movement was gaining momentum going into 1960, the genre was being commercially segregated, on the sly, into white (British Invasion) and black (soul) music by the (WASPy) establishment.

“Racial prejudice has been around awhile, so, yeah. And that was extremely threatening for the city fathers, I would think. When they finally recognized what it was, they had to dismantle it, which they did, starting with payola scandals. The black element was turned into soul music, and the white element was turned into English pop. They separated it […] Well, it was apart of my DNA, so it never disappeared from me. I just incorporated it into other aspects of what I was doing. I don’t know if this answers the question. [Laughs.] I can’t remember what the question was.”

The same article is also about payola paid to disc jockeys across the country to play certain songs from white artist.

From an article at spinditty.com

Why Isn't Rock Music Popular Anymore?​

These are samples of responses from a forum that asked the question of why rock music is in decline.

• "Music for youth is now about the packaging and the presentation—not the music."
  • "Today's 'stars' are nothing more than video-created characters that rely too much on flashing lights, backup dancers, video editing to make them look like they're actually singing, and much much more."
  • "It's all about making lots of money now."

The best reasons I have found for the demise of rock music can be found on this YouTube video from a guy name Rick Beato. Worth the watch.

So, what's your opinion on what killed rock-n-roll?

Still a few good rock bands out there. The Black Angels, for example. They remind me of a cross between CCR and the Doors.

Let me tell ya, I'm someone who was born in the dawn of the 80's and grew up listening to 90's grunge rock... and when people talk about what "Rock and Roll" is I don't know what the F they're talking about. I'm not dissing the early formations of rock and roll, I prefer a broad definition. When you hear the splitting of rock types, it's like listening to leftists create 2, then 4, then 8, then 16 new genders or pronouns every day out of thin air. "Oh, I'm not into emo music, I'm into screamo music"... wow, good for you.

Rock and Roll is certainly dead in that the upbeat guitar riff isn't use in mainstream music. Today is pretty much a simple pre-programmed beat with an echoey voice-over auto-tuned singer to only glorify the head/lead singer as a brand to make money off of. True "bands" are obsolete today.

Let me tell ya, I'm someone who was born in the dawn of the 80's and grew up listening to 90's grunge rock... and when people talk about what "Rock and Roll" is I don't know what the F they're talking about. I'm not dissing the early formations of rock and roll, I prefer a broad definition. When you hear the splitting of rock types, it's like listening to leftists create 2, then 4, then 8, then 16 new genders or pronouns every day out of thin air. "Oh, I'm not into emo music, I'm into screamo music"... wow, good for you.

Rock and Roll is certainly dead in that the upbeat guitar riff isn't use in mainstream music. Today is pretty much a simple pre-programmed beat with an echoey voice-over auto-tuned singer to only glorify the head/lead singer as a brand to make money off of. True "bands" are obsolete today.

Dude r u srs?

There are still bands playing rock.

Sounds like you are talking out your butt, there are still bands playing rock.

Forum List

Back