What Killed Rock-N-Roll?

Teenage girls have always been the biggest buyers of music. It's why pop has always dominated and always sucked. That's the main thing but something else has happened. Young men seem to have just dropped out of having music preferences anymore. They seem satisfied with whatever crap is coming out of the radio.
Girls buying music is true. The demise of analog destroyed record stores. Corporations took over radio. Then the Rap crap is all that gets airplay. MTV shoved it into young listeners ears and look what it evolved into.

Technology and identity politics.

It's all about the producer in the studio now rather than the artist and you have a bunch of brain dead idiots listening to hip hop simply because they feel they have to.
Your right about technology. I posted somewhere on here the other day that some guy on youtube was going to autotune Elvis freaking Presley.

Girls buying music is true. The demise of analog destroyed record stores. Corporations took over radio. Then the Rap crap is all that gets airplay. MTV shoved it into young listeners ears and look what it evolved into.
Man how rap/hip-hop killed MTV and VH1 right at the time when they were at their top with rock.

What Killed Rock-N-Roll?
This is a thread I have wanted to start for a long time. If your my age 58 and grew up listening to bands like Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, The Beatles, The Who etc... Than I know that the absence of Rock-N-Roll in your life today bothers you as much as it does me.

If you look this up online you will find a myriad of reasons as to what killed rock-n-roll, but I'm not going to go over all of these but will just touch on some of them.

Quoting Gene Simmons:
Simmons spoke about rock's supposed diminishing status during a new interview with Jonathan Clarke of New York's Q104.3 radio station. Asked if he meant his original "rock is dead" comment in terms of radio airplay or streaming numbers, Gene said: "In all ways. And the culprits are the young fans. You killed the thing that you love. Because as soon as streaming came in, you took away a chance for the new great bands who are there in the shadows, who can't quit their day job 'cause you can't make a dime putting your music out there, because when you download stuff, it's one-hundredth or one-thousandth of one penny. And so you've gotta have millions to millions, and even billions of downloads before you can make a few grand. And the fans have killed that thing. So the business is dead. And that means that the next BEATLES or the next whoever is never gonna get the chance that we did. We had record companies that gave us millions of dollars so we can make records and tour, and not worry about a nine-to-five [job]. Because when you're worried about nine-to-five, you don't have the time to sit there and devote to your art, whatever that is."

Quoting Bob Dylan:

From its fused inception, rock ‘n’ roll was already a racially integrated American invention being blasted in teenage bedrooms as early as 1955, but as the Civil Rights Movement was gaining momentum going into 1960, the genre was being commercially segregated, on the sly, into white (British Invasion) and black (soul) music by the (WASPy) establishment.

“Racial prejudice has been around awhile, so, yeah. And that was extremely threatening for the city fathers, I would think. When they finally recognized what it was, they had to dismantle it, which they did, starting with payola scandals. The black element was turned into soul music, and the white element was turned into English pop. They separated it […] Well, it was apart of my DNA, so it never disappeared from me. I just incorporated it into other aspects of what I was doing. I don’t know if this answers the question. [Laughs.] I can’t remember what the question was.”

The same article is also about payola paid to disc jockeys across the country to play certain songs from white artist.

From an article at spinditty.com

Why Isn't Rock Music Popular Anymore?​

These are samples of responses from a forum that asked the question of why rock music is in decline.

• "Music for youth is now about the packaging and the presentation—not the music."
  • "Today's 'stars' are nothing more than video-created characters that rely too much on flashing lights, backup dancers, video editing to make them look like they're actually singing, and much much more."
  • "It's all about making lots of money now."

The best reasons I have found for the demise of rock music can be found on this YouTube video from a guy name Rick Beato. Worth the watch.

So, what's your opinion on what killed rock-n-roll?

There is a ton of good stuff. You just have to know where to find it.

(and some friends of mine, they played for a benefit I put on to raise money for the local high school band)

I didn't think any of those three songs you posted were worth listening to.

However, just like food everybody has different taste in music. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean other people should not like it.

To me rock died with the onset of hard rock. After that came along there was nothing really worth listening to with a few exceptions.

I didn't think any of those three songs you posted were worth listening to.

However, just like food everybody has different taste in music. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean other people should not like it.

To me rock died with the onset of hard rock. After that came along there was nothing really worth listening to with a few exceptions.
You would think if rock could survive disco it could survive anything.

The music business has always primarily been a business. 90% of what they have ever produced has been utterly forgettable crap meant to be profitable for only the next month. People are still playing the good stuff decades later and so we get the impression that all the good music was in the past. There's still good stuff out there you just have look for those who are having to promote themselves and do it for the love of music.

To me rock died in the 1970s and never recovered.

Gene Simmons helped to kill rock with that stupid shit he put out.
Yeah i never was a Kiss fan. The makeup put me off. I was into Zeppelin.

Man how rap/hip-hop killed MTV and VH1 right at the time when they were at their top with rock.
In the meantime check out my friend Bob's Blues Deluxe...

Yeah op I am right around your age. I liked the 80s rock bands and into the 90s and even into the 2000s. In the 70s as a kid the Who was my favorite. Not sure what happened I have not paid attention.

Yeah op I am right around your age. I liked the 80s rock bands and into the 90s and even into the 2000s. In the 70s as a kid the Who was my favorite. Not sure what happened I have not paid attention.
Wasn't much into the 80's rock scene but did like like alot of the grunge stuff of the early 90's.

I tend to agree with whoever said that rock became too metal-like. I like music that is melodic and a lot of rock had that: Hard day's Night, Peggy Sue, Stairway to Heaven.....you could identify a pleasant sounding part but when it became more like Santana...brilliant technically but it sounded to me like noise. I want my rock to sound good. There was a group called "Yes" that intrigued me but it had some good melodies among the more experimental sounds.

Just my thought.

Greg

What Killed Rock-N-Roll?
This is a thread I have wanted to start for a long time. If your my age 58 and grew up listening to bands like Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, The Beatles, The Who etc... Than I know that the absence of Rock-N-Roll in your life today bothers you as much as it does me.

If you look this up online you will find a myriad of reasons as to what killed rock-n-roll, but I'm not going to go over all of these but will just touch on some of them.

Quoting Gene Simmons:
Simmons spoke about rock's supposed diminishing status during a new interview with Jonathan Clarke of New York's Q104.3 radio station. Asked if he meant his original "rock is dead" comment in terms of radio airplay or streaming numbers, Gene said: "In all ways. And the culprits are the young fans. You killed the thing that you love. Because as soon as streaming came in, you took away a chance for the new great bands who are there in the shadows, who can't quit their day job 'cause you can't make a dime putting your music out there, because when you download stuff, it's one-hundredth or one-thousandth of one penny. And so you've gotta have millions to millions, and even billions of downloads before you can make a few grand. And the fans have killed that thing. So the business is dead. And that means that the next BEATLES or the next whoever is never gonna get the chance that we did. We had record companies that gave us millions of dollars so we can make records and tour, and not worry about a nine-to-five [job]. Because when you're worried about nine-to-five, you don't have the time to sit there and devote to your art, whatever that is."

Quoting Bob Dylan:

From its fused inception, rock ‘n’ roll was already a racially integrated American invention being blasted in teenage bedrooms as early as 1955, but as the Civil Rights Movement was gaining momentum going into 1960, the genre was being commercially segregated, on the sly, into white (British Invasion) and black (soul) music by the (WASPy) establishment.

“Racial prejudice has been around awhile, so, yeah. And that was extremely threatening for the city fathers, I would think. When they finally recognized what it was, they had to dismantle it, which they did, starting with payola scandals. The black element was turned into soul music, and the white element was turned into English pop. They separated it […] Well, it was apart of my DNA, so it never disappeared from me. I just incorporated it into other aspects of what I was doing. I don’t know if this answers the question. [Laughs.] I can’t remember what the question was.”

The same article is also about payola paid to disc jockeys across the country to play certain songs from white artist.

From an article at spinditty.com

Why Isn't Rock Music Popular Anymore?​

These are samples of responses from a forum that asked the question of why rock music is in decline.

• "Music for youth is now about the packaging and the presentation—not the music."
  • "Today's 'stars' are nothing more than video-created characters that rely too much on flashing lights, backup dancers, video editing to make them look like they're actually singing, and much much more."
  • "It's all about making lots of money now."

The best reasons I have found for the demise of rock music can be found on this YouTube video from a guy name Rick Beato. Worth the watch.

So, what's your opinion on what killed rock-n-roll?

Rock and Roll was a primarily white genre of music from the late 50's that was a mixture of Black R&B, blues, and country music. There were black R&R musicians like Chuck Berry, Little Richard, etc, but the primary target audience was young white teens. One of the main purposes of R&R was to make Black music something marketable to a primarily young white audience.

What killed R&R was hallucinogenic drugs. Prior to the mid-60's, most R&R musicians imbibed in mostly alcohol, pot, and sometimes methamphetamines or heroin. When musicians started experimenting with hallucinogenics like LSD, peyote, and psilocybin in the early to mid 1960's, Rock and Roll started changing.

Forum List

Back