What Killed Rock-N-Roll?

Dude r u srs?

There are still bands playing rock.

Sounds like you are talking out your butt, there are still bands playing rock.

I'm sorry, did you just throw the Scorpions at me as some sort of modern Rock and Roll producer? LOL

Weren't they a "too-late" producer of hair metal rock after grunge started to come around?

What about Nightwish?
I'm sorry.. who?

The fact that you have to suggest a rock band means rock and roll is dead.

Let me just explain the difference of the rock top-end music choices of the youth today vs. when I grew up.

Rock bands that would be played on Pop radio in the early 90's:
- Offspring
- NIrvana
- Alice in Chains
- Pearl Jam
- Green Day
- Weezer
- Smashing Pumpkins
- Red Hot Chilli Peppers
- REM
- Foo Fighters
- Oasis
- Blink 182
- U2
- Everclear
- Incubus

Rock bands that are played on top Pop radio stations Today:

I'm sorry.. who?

The fact that you have to suggest a rock band means rock and roll is dead.

Let me just explain the difference of the rock top-end music choices of the youth today vs. when I grew up.

Rock bands that would be played on Pop radio in the early 90's:
- Offspring
- NIrvana
- Alice in Chains
- Pearl Jam
- Green Day
- Weezer
- Smashing Pumpkins
- Red Hot Chilli Peppers
- REM
- Foo Fighters
- Oasis
- Blink 182
- U2
- Everclear
- Incubus

Rock bands that are played on top Pop radio stations Today:

Mainstream radio only plays cRap and pop.

What Killed Rock-N-Roll?
This is a thread I have wanted to start for a long time. If your my age 58 and grew up listening to bands like Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, The Beatles, The Who etc... Than I know that the absence of Rock-N-Roll in your life today bothers you as much as it does me.

If you look this up online you will find a myriad of reasons as to what killed rock-n-roll, but I'm not going to go over all of these but will just touch on some of them.

Quoting Gene Simmons:
Simmons spoke about rock's supposed diminishing status during a new interview with Jonathan Clarke of New York's Q104.3 radio station. Asked if he meant his original "rock is dead" comment in terms of radio airplay or streaming numbers, Gene said: "In all ways. And the culprits are the young fans. You killed the thing that you love. Because as soon as streaming came in, you took away a chance for the new great bands who are there in the shadows, who can't quit their day job 'cause you can't make a dime putting your music out there, because when you download stuff, it's one-hundredth or one-thousandth of one penny. And so you've gotta have millions to millions, and even billions of downloads before you can make a few grand. And the fans have killed that thing. So the business is dead. And that means that the next BEATLES or the next whoever is never gonna get the chance that we did. We had record companies that gave us millions of dollars so we can make records and tour, and not worry about a nine-to-five [job]. Because when you're worried about nine-to-five, you don't have the time to sit there and devote to your art, whatever that is."

Quoting Bob Dylan:

From its fused inception, rock ‘n’ roll was already a racially integrated American invention being blasted in teenage bedrooms as early as 1955, but as the Civil Rights Movement was gaining momentum going into 1960, the genre was being commercially segregated, on the sly, into white (British Invasion) and black (soul) music by the (WASPy) establishment.

“Racial prejudice has been around awhile, so, yeah. And that was extremely threatening for the city fathers, I would think. When they finally recognized what it was, they had to dismantle it, which they did, starting with payola scandals. The black element was turned into soul music, and the white element was turned into English pop. They separated it […] Well, it was apart of my DNA, so it never disappeared from me. I just incorporated it into other aspects of what I was doing. I don’t know if this answers the question. [Laughs.] I can’t remember what the question was.”

The same article is also about payola paid to disc jockeys across the country to play certain songs from white artist.

From an article at spinditty.com

Why Isn't Rock Music Popular Anymore?​

These are samples of responses from a forum that asked the question of why rock music is in decline.

• "Music for youth is now about the packaging and the presentation—not the music."
  • "Today's 'stars' are nothing more than video-created characters that rely too much on flashing lights, backup dancers, video editing to make them look like they're actually singing, and much much more."
  • "It's all about making lots of money now."

The best reasons I have found for the demise of rock music can be found on this YouTube video from a guy name Rick Beato. Worth the watch.

So, what's your opinion on what killed rock-n-roll?

Still alive and well in my house I have at least a terabyte of it to listen to. New original is hard to come across due to economic s as you say. There just isn't the money in it anymore. My children were classical musicians then I turned my son onto ledzepplin, vanhalen,beatles,doors,Beatles,,. Next thing I knew the top musicians in his orchestra were at my house jamming rock and roll on the weekends. His band was gaining traction playing live before covid wiped out live music. He and another band from same high-school got to play com fest pre covid. Largest crowd they ever played for likely 25 to 30k people. Was not a lot of money in it but did get their music in front of a lot of people. When first starting out ya got to play a lot of covers but both bands sprinkled in some original works. Then covid hit live gigs dried up and lime8rhe exposure he got was forgotten. So now he works a warehouse and goes to business school. They are practicing together again not sure what they have lined up as far as live shows for the summer if any. He is so busy between school work and writing plus practicing I rarely speak to him. I would assume if he had gigs lined up I would get an invite. Could be wrong though his base guitar player tells me his current girlfriend is an yoko and might not want to hear my opinion on her. Lol. The other boys in the band would likely invite me though I fed them ever week end for years and sound proofed plus wired my basement so they could record.

Still alive and well in my house I have at least a terabyte of it to listen to. New original is hard to come across due to economic s as you say. There just isn't the money in it anymore. My children were classical musicians then I turned my son onto ledzepplin, vanhalen,beatles,doors,Beatles,,. Next thing I knew the top musicians in his orchestra were at my house jamming rock and roll on the weekends. His band was gaining traction playing live before covid wiped out live music. He and another band from same high-school got to play com fest pre covid. Largest crowd they ever played for likely 25 to 30k people. Was not a lot of money in it but did get their music in front of a lot of people. When first starting out ya got to play a lot of covers but both bands sprinkled in some original works. Then covid hit live gigs dried up and lime8rhe exposure he got was forgotten. So now he works a warehouse and goes to business school. They are practicing together again not sure what they have lined up as far as live shows for the summer if any. He is so busy between school work and writing plus practicing I rarely speak to him. I would assume if he had gigs lined up I would get an invite. Could be wrong though his base guitar player tells me his current girlfriend is an yoko and might not want to hear my opinion on her. Lol. The other boys in the band would likely invite me though I fed them ever week end for years and sound proofed plus wired my basement so they could record.
Because of today's music business model it's hard for someone like your sons band to hold down a job and create music at the same time. We have to figure out a way to pay today's up and coming bands to have more time to spend on the creative process. That's whats missing today.

Because of today's music business model it's hard for someone like your sons band to hold down a job and create music at the same time. We have to figure out a way to pay today's up and coming bands to have more time to spend on the creative process. That's whats missing today.
Good music takes time and money of that there is no doubt. Even with hard work and successful recording, it's a crap shoot whether you get noticed or not. Today's pay off does not seem to be worth the risks.

Also there are studies saying pop music is making people dumb.

Tell your kids to stop listening to that mumble rap and pop music garbage and start listening to proper music played with real instruments.

Simmons is more correct than Dylan.
CDs started the change in music.
CDs lead to MP3 music.
MP3 music made it easy to copy music.
People didn't have to pay for a song, which means writers and performers could not make money.
Dylan blaming the "wasps" is just lame liberal loathing.
He has a cultural hang up problem.
Music is naturally somewhat segregated by race and that is done by the listeners themselves.
However, I have never heard anyone say that they will not listen to Black music or listen to White music.
People blend their tastes in music.
One of the things bad about today's music is the overuse of drum machines.
Every commercial and Youtube video seems to have that "boom click" drum track.
There is a lot legitimate criticism of today's pop music.
It sounds stale and uncreative.
The songs sound a lot alike.

Simmons is more correct than Dylan.
CDs started the change in music.
CDs lead to MP3 music.
MP3 music made it easy to copy music.
People didn't have to pay for a song, which means writers and performers could not make money.
Dylan blaming the "wasps" is just lame liberal loathing.
He has a cultural hang up problem.
Music is naturally somewhat segregated by race and that is done by the listeners themselves.
However, I have never heard anyone say that they will not listen to Black music or listen to White music.
People blend their tastes in music.
One of the things bad about today's music is the overuse of drum machines.
Every commercial and Youtube video seems to have that "boom click" drum track.
There is a lot legitimate criticism of today's pop music.
It sounds stale and uncreative.
The songs sound a lot alike.
I agree with you and think Simmons was more on point than Dylan. Dylans a leftist who has to play the race card with everything.
I also think the music streaming services we have has played a big roll in the demise of rock. Like Simmons pointed out there just isn't enough money in for bands that are new to put their music on these services and make enough money to even by gas. It's a shame.
Just too hard to hold down a job and work on creating music the way it used to be done. The music industry needs to change back to be artist first instead of money, money, money.

Also there are studies saying pop music is making people dumb.

Tell your kids to stop listening to that mumble rap and pop music garbage and start listening to proper music played with real instruments.
Me

Your parents said the same thing about your music.

I agree with you and think Simmons was more on point than Dylan. Dylans a leftist who has to play the race card with everything.
I also think the music streaming services we have has played a big roll in the demise of rock. Like Simmons pointed out there just isn't enough money in for bands that are new to put their music on these services and make enough money to even by gas. It's a shame.
Just too hard to hold down a job and work on creating music the way it used to be done. The music industry needs to change back to be artist first instead of money, money, money.
There are songs that I originally had on vinyl, then 8 track, then cassette, then CD and now I have on MP3.
So that means that I paid for that same song 5 times.
MP3 has caused the nature music to change in many ways, but it also has made it better for Listeners to have a large collection of music that is indestructible and takes up almost no space.
MP3s also make it easy to find a song and to create play lists.
I probably have over 50K MP3 songs.
I could never have 50K vinyl songs because it would take up too much space.
With MP3 songs I can create play lists that last for days without a repeat.
I create themed play lists, like vacation music or road music or Blues or classical....

And you say rock/metal is dead.

No it is not, it is underground, but it isn't dead.

Like when was the last time you ever heard Jazz music or Blues music on the radio?

what about ziggy stardust?
The thing is that Bowie didn't hide his real identity and everyone knew what he looked like when he wasn't performing as Ziggy Stardust. Kiss for many, many years no one knew what they looked like without it, and that's why they wore it in the first place. Spiders from Mars, and Space oddity was head and shoulders better than anything Kiss ever came up with.

I think it's partly the record companies who are pushing pop and rap music.

Like Frank Zappa said in this interview that record executives won't take a chance and record exectives decide what music young people see and hear.

Record companies should take a chance, instead of being the person choosing what music people should hear.

The executives of the day were “cigar-chomping old guys who looked at the product and said, ‘I don’t know. Who knows what it is? Record it, stick it out. If it sells, alright!’”

After all, SOMEBODY bought Ina-Gadda-Da-Vida! Personally, i don't know anyone who did, but it sold.

I mean that entrepreneurial spirit.

For example you take Brian Wilson from the beachboys, Brian Wilson wanted to make an album called Smile in the late 60's and something different. But record company Capitol record's would not accept it along with his cousin to make matter worse. Capitol record's wanted the beachboys to stick with the formula But that annoyed Brian Wilson also.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back