What is Sin?

There are things pre-dating the bible, that are written in stone. Don't know if you care to hear about it...

I prefer how St. John of the Cross saw things. He said things like, To find the light one must go through darkness; knowledge is found through the way of ignorance. In that vein, he might have said the path to happiness goes by the way of sadness.

Dualism

Once you name the good you bring into existence the bad.

Christianity goes for EN.LIL. The god who hates us and tries to kill us. and creates all this sin and shit that we have to worry about... bullshit!!! Listen to EN.KI

Anyone can say they use ancient outdated definitions of common words so as to make the case that their definitions don't apply to the discussion.
You noted that striving for your definition of perfection would result in failure. I explained your definition of perfection was not the understanding of "perfect" when Jesus said, "Be perfect as your heavenly father is perfect."

Language changes. That should definitely be a part of this discussion--especially if someone is using it to criticize a faith in which s/he does not take part.

Once you name the good you bring into existence the bad.
In fact, when one recognizes and acknowledges one 'negative' emotion, one can travel to through it to its opposite. Or one can try your preference, which seems to be stoicism?

EN.KI is the Serpent, the intertwined snake. Who helped us from the beginning, and helped us during the flood. He is the reason we are still here.

But Christianity considers him to be the "devil".... So friggin crazy...

Religions believe that God is Heaven, when actually it is Hell. Believing in EN.KI aka "devil" will lead to a better world.

You noted that striving for your definition of perfection would result in failure. I explained your definition of perfection was not the understanding of "perfect" when Jesus said, "Be perfect as your heavenly father is perfect."

Language changes. That should definitely be a part of this discussion--especially if someone is using it to criticize a faith in which s/he does not take part.
OK

For one it is impossible for a human to be as prefect as an omnipotent infallible god no matter how you define the word

The concept of "sin" is a religious one, with the connotation that it will ultimately result in some sort of punishment by God or fate, or whatever. Civil authorities, however, should not be concerned about what is sinful, but rather what is harmful to individuals or to the collective.

The Founders had no problem with sanctioning, with legal penalties, behavior that was sinful but not harmful, with the best and most obvious example being homosexual sodomy.

Now our "enlightened" society seeks to purge the various legal and penal codes, removing "crimes" that are (or were) deemed to be sinful, but are not harmful. Examples are gambling, recreational drug use, prostitution, and in some remaining cases, consumption of alcohol. Then the question becomes, How far are "we" willing to go in order to define a public harm? The most prominent example of this debate is the debate in Congress and the State legislatures about the use of recreational marijuana. While it seems to be harmless (and even beneficial in some cases), there are medical indications of all sorts of physical and mental problems associated with long-term use of recreational marijuana. In that regard, it is absolutely similar with alcohol, about which we have concluded that "we" are on balance willing to live with the potential harms, punishing only acute abuse of alcohol, e.g., DUI or public drunkenness.

Definitions of sin vary quite a bit, even among communities that generally share belief systems. Roman Catholics believe that re-marriage after divorce is nothing other than normalizing adultery, while most Protestant communities accept divorce and remarriage as an acceptable resolution of a problem. In fact, on close examination, the definition of "sin" varies from person to person.

In fact, when one recognizes and acknowledges one 'negative' emotion, one can travel to through it to its opposite. Or one can try your preference, which seems to be stoicism?

Stoicism has always interested me and there is a lot of congruence between Stoicism and Buddhism as well as Taoism

I have been leaning more towards Taoism these days. Maybe it's because I'm retired and have more time to think about things.

For one it is impossible for a human to be as prefect as an omnipotent infallible god no matter how you define the word
This is not hard to understand. My grandfather was a perfect painter. He never needed a drop cloth, never spilled, mixed his own paints, always got the right color. It was amazing to watch him. My best job painting never reached his best, because my abilities and talents were elsewhere. However, in the perfection of his talent and abilities, he taught me perfection in my talent and abilities.

The same with God. No scripture tells us to be God. We are to be ourselves, and develop our own talents and abilities to perfection. We are not asked to perfect talents and abilities never given.

You make this too hard for yourself. No one asked any of us to be omnipotent nor infallible. All that is needed is to work wholeheartedly on perfecting ourselves.

Religions believe that God is Heaven, when actually it is Hell. Believing in EN.KI aka "devil" will lead to a better world.
actually, it is Hell is the kingdom of Satan, if Satan has a home it is because it hellish
And it is the God of Israel the one true God, He is a place far from the naked eye, and the God of Israel is someone you don't want to mess with
Hebrews 10:30-31 (NKJV) For we know Him who said, "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay," says the Lord. And again, "The LORD will judge His people."
It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

imagine in the clip what world happens if you touch the face of God

It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.​

Do you know what sin does to the mind, body, and soul?
Sin sits dormant in your body
when sin is activated do you know what sin does
Sins feed demons
The wages of sin is death, what are wages?
What activated sin

Where is this sin location?

One's best is not perfect.

Striving for perfection is a fool's errand.

View attachment 628108

It may be impossible to obtain perfection through one's own personal efforts. But with the help of God, all things are possible. Without Jesus and his atoning sacrifice, it is impossible to attain the kingdom heaven, but with Jesus by our side, it is possible for anyone to repent and receive a forgiveness of sin and to enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Also, I've seen enough evidence to conclude that sin unchecked leads to mental illness.

The more evil they are, the crazier they get, but they do not start off that way.

^ I think there's some truth to that. For some people, it becomes a downward spiral.

This may be a very unpopular topic, but I really believe that most people have no idea how damaging and detrimental sin is. That's why sometimes it's a GOOD thing when people hit rock bottom...because that can be a wake-up call, and as the saying goes, when you hit rock bottom the only way to go is up.

Forum List

Back