What is Sin?

Sin is a breaking of religious law

Therefore every religion can have different sins.

The better question is does sin really exist?

Luke 5:30-33 (NKJV) And their scribes and the Pharisees complained against His disciples, saying, "Why do You eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?"
Jesus answered and said to them, "Those who well have no need of a physician, saying I have no sin, but those who are sick.
I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance."
Then they said to Him, "Why do the disciples of John fast often and make prayers, and likewise those of the Pharisees, but Yours eat and drink?"

Isaiah 1:18 (NKJV) "Come now, and let us reason together," Says the LORD, "Though your sins are like scarlet, They shall be as white as snow; Though they are red like crimson, They shall be as wool.

1 John 1:8-10 (NKJV) If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.

Luke 5:30-33 (NKJV) And their scribes and the Pharisees complained against His disciples, saying, "Why do You eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?"
Jesus answered and said to them, "Those who well have no need of a physician, saying I have no sin, but those who are sick.
I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance."
Then they said to Him, "Why do the disciples of John fast often and make prayers, and likewise those of the Pharisees, but Yours eat and drink?"

Isaiah 1:18 (NKJV) "Come now, and let us reason together," Says the LORD, "Though your sins are like scarlet, They shall be as white as snow; Though they are red like crimson, They shall be as wool.

1 John 1:8-10 (NKJV) If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.
Like I said sin is a violation of religious laws

Sin only exists in the context of religion.

In the New Testament Jesus taught,

Matthew 5:48
48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

and again in the Book of Mormon after Jesus was resurrected he taught,

3 Nephi 12:48

48 Therefore I would that ye should be perfect even as I, or your Father who is in heaven is perfect.

It is the expectation of Jesus and our Father in Heaven that we strive to be perfect even as Jesus or our Heavenly Father is perfect. Many question if it is even possible to be as perfect as Jesus or our Heavenly Father are. One has to ask, would Jesus give us a commandment that we could never achieve?

At any rate, sin is any kind of behavior that would go against this teaching or any of the teachings of Jesus regarding our behavior. God wants us to strive to be like him and if we are not, he would want us to stop the bad behavior and start following after his example. God is willing to forgive our past bad behaviors when we make the effort to change our behavior to be more like his. This process of change is known as repentance. It not only involves changing our behavior but changing our heart's desire to follow after his ways. Jesus gives us a promise that if we will seek to become like him that he will draw nearer unto us.

Doctrine and Covenants 88:63

63 Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you; seek me diligently and ye shall find me; ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.
It is the expectation of Jesus and our Father in Heaven that we strive to be perfect even as Jesus or our Heavenly Father is perfect. Many question if it is even possible to be as perfect as Jesus or our Heavenly Father are. One has to ask, would Jesus give us a commandment that we could never achieve?

no roman, they would not give you what does not exist - perfect ... their true commandment, the relgion of antiquity is to triumph over evil to become - pure ... your puity if accomplished is what is judged before admission to the heavens is granted.

either rewright your phony book or better burn it and follow the true religion or evaporate with your physiology when you both expire together.

Do you know what sin does to the mind, body, and soul?
Sin sits dormant in your body
when sin is activated do you know what sin does
Sins feed demons
The wages of sin is death, what are wages?
What activated sin

Where is this sin location?
Death because of sin.......is simply addressing the fact that God cannot look upon sin, He being totally righteous within His omnipotence, omniscience and omnipresence.........all sin keeps one separated from the presence of the God of Creation, thus the death caused by sin is a sin that remains "unrepented" and "unpaid"..........the only sin that cannot be forgiven and covered by the sacrificial lamb of God......Christ Jesus, is the sin that continues to be denied and unrepentant. The unrepented sin can eternally separate your spirit from God's Spirit, its the eternal wages of SIN.

"But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hidden His face from you, that He will not hear." -- Isaiah 59:2 Thus, as everyone sins at some point in their lives through omission or commission............we have have an adovate standing between our sins and God........Christ Jesus. Without Jesus there is no path to the Father (John 14:6) as God cannot look upon sin because of His righteousness. Its a continuing struggle to control sin.........that one must endure all through life as the reward for being covered by the sacrificial blood of the lamb comes only AFTER THE RACE IS OVER.......at physical death (1 Cor. 9:24). One has to run in order to be rewarded with eternal life with God.....if you drop out of the race you will never be accepted by God.

The scriptures point out that each and every person is personally responsible for any wages that come from sin. The father is not responsible for the sins of the son nor is the Son responsible for the sins of the father.........everyone works out their own sin or own righteousness and their own repentance. (Ez. 18:20)

People can do things whole heartedly and still fail.

Idealism is for children and naïve adults..
If one is not a person of faith, no worries. However, it is the narrow way by which people of faith strive to live. It works well for most of us.

Like I said sin is a violation of religious laws

Sin only exists in the context of religion.
if you say so
your argument is not with me but author and the finisher

Hebrews 12:1-2 (NKJV) Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,
looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

I just work here
images1221.jpg

Given the constant and gradual erosion of virtue in society (which, btw, is the single greatest, silent threat to peace, prosperity and Individual liberty in America today, thanks to purveyors of Western secular progressivism) I think it's rather safe to say that the very consiousness of sin is largely absent from society. And where it isn't absent, it is ruthlessly attacked for existing by those same secular progressives.
Yes, if you notice, only the Third World has success in terms of spreading the gospel

All the wealthy nations think they don't need God.

Also, I've seen enough evidence to conclude that sin unchecked leads to mental illness.

The more evil they are, the crazier they get, but they do not start off that way.

if you say so
your argument is not with me but author and the finisher

Hebrews 12:1-2 (NKJV) Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,
looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

I just work here
View attachment 627863
None of those quotes are a definition of sin.

The definition is always the best starting point

If one is not a person of faith, no worries. However, it is the narrow way by which people of faith strive to live. It works well for most of us.
And yet being imperfect is a sin and since the perfect is an unrealistic goal anyone that expects it, even a god, is unrealistic

And yet being imperfect is a sin and since the perfect is an unrealistic goal anyone that expects it, even a god, is unrealistic
What is unrealistic is your definition of perfect. There is nothing wrong with doing one's best. Sometimes one's best today will not be the best it was the day before. And that's fine.

None of those quotes are a definition of sin.

The definition is always the best starting point
Sins feed demons
What activated sin

Sins feed demons
What activated sin
What is the definition of sin?

THIS is

What is unrealistic is your definition of perfect. There is nothing wrong with doing one's best. Sometimes one's best today will not be the best it was the day before. And that's fine.
One's best is not perfect.

Striving for perfection is a fool's errand.

1649505484340.png

One's best is not perfect.

Striving for perfection is a fool's errand.
To understand faith and people of faith, one has to stop insisting that what is not is what is. Our faith has roots in ancient times and in at least one language that is no longer spoken. The words in our own language--and definitions--have changed over time.

As a person of faith, and as one, who along the way, developed a strong interest in etymology, I am setting forth what sin and perfection mean to us.

You, a person of no faith, and one who insists on using modern definitions of English words, are insisting on instructing me? You seem to have built your own construction about faith and religion out of modern Western Culture and its language. You have further decided everyone of faith needs to see--and learn--your composition as actuality. Instead we see your fabricated structure for what it is--a house of twigs built on sand.

I prefer how St. John of the Cross saw things. He said things like, To find the light one must go through darkness; knowledge is found through the way of ignorance. In that vein, he might have said the path to happiness goes by the way of sadness.

To understand faith and people of faith, one has to stop insisting that what is not is what is. Our faith has roots in ancient times and in at least one language that is no longer spoken. The words in our own language--and definitions--have changed over time.

As a person of faith, and as one, who along the way, developed a strong interest in etymology, I am setting forth what sin and perfection mean to us.

You, a person of no faith, and one who insists on using modern definitions of English words, are insisting on instructing me? You seem to have built your own construction about faith and religion out of modern Western Culture and its language. You have further decided everyone of faith needs to see--and learn--your composition as actuality. Instead we see your fabricated structure for what it is--a house of twigs built on sand.

Anyone can say they use ancient outdated definitions of common words so as to make the case that their definitions don't apply to the discussion.

Forum List

Back