What I got from the Iowa caucuses

Cruz, Trump and Rubio all finished one, two, three in Iowa. The takeaway I got is this: the GOP establishment is dead. I wholeheartedly believe that. Voters have been betrayed one too many times by people they elected to represent them. People are angry. It showed tonight.

What do you think?

You are too stupid for words.

More than 180,000 people showed up at the Republican caucuses throughout the state, breaking the 2012 record of about 121,000 voters, according to ABC News.

And you call that dead.

Rubio is the establishment. He could not be more the establishment. He overperformed.
Maybe I gave TK's OP more credit than it deserved, but my take was Rubio's overperformance shows how weak the gop establishment has become. On one hand, the tea party movement was hijacked from that the Kochs probably intended, and now the 40 or so freedom caucus reps have gotten elected by promising old white gerrymandered voters shit that will never be delivered. The ONLY way to deliver their platform is to take the WH, hold the senate and house and get rid of the filibuster .... and that would be the perfect shite storm for conservatives given the demographic shift that is inevitable. That is, direct democracy would be awful. But, that is basically what the gop primary vote was about.

What I got from Iowa

1. Cruz used two dirty tricks that makes him look dishonest, He told Carson voters that Carson had dropped out of the race, and sent a "notice" telling people their voting habits are being monitored which had information about neighbors and whether they had been voting in the caucuses. It actually said "Official" at the top of the notice.

2. Trump cannot depend on charisma for his votes. He needs end games and organizational plans to get his vote out. Trump needs to stop repeating himself in speeches. People want to know HOW he is going to do some of the things he talks about.

3. Cruz is too evangelical and I think it will hurt him.

4. Clinton has an entire office working on mud slinging attacks on other candidates that she can use at the opportune time. So far, it's major focus has been Trump and that may not have been a good idea for Trump has said he will give it right back to her. All this ends in less time on important issues

5. No candidate can be assured of a win as was demonstrated last night.

Cruz, Trump and Rubio all finished one, two, three in Iowa. The takeaway I got is this: the GOP establishment is dead. I wholeheartedly believe that. Voters have been betrayed one too many times by people they elected to represent them. People are angry. It showed tonight.

What do you think?

More than 180,000 people showed up at the Republican caucuses throughout the state, breaking the 2012 record of about 121,000 voters, according to ABC News.

And you call that dead.
I disagree with you. TK said he thought the GOP Establishment is dead, not the GOP in general. The anti-establishment candidates received over 50% of the GOP votes. The establishment may not quite be on life support, but it should be worried. The situation is so bad for the establishment, that one of the Koch brothers is spending great amounts of money to derail Trump. Will he do the same for Cruz? The fix is in.

What do you think?

You're listening to a minority of people. 150K Republicans showed up in a state that probably has around 4 to 5 million Republicans in it. This is the continual problem with Caucus states--and I believe there are only 9 states in the country that still do it.

What showed in Iowa was MARCO RUBIO. Republicans are starting to think (finally) about which candidate can win the White House--which Rubio won that answer by 54%. Cruz came in on social issues, which is very typical of Iowa and Donald Trump came in on telling it like it is. But both Trump & Cruz would be a gift to democrats and they would get creamed in a National Election.

So I think if Marco Rubio can hang in here, (donation wise) he will be the eventual nominee of the party. We'll see but this race is far from over. As this moves into the Primary ballot states, we are going to see a lot more participation which will clear the fog.

Donald Trump just got tripped up--and I think he loses momentum after losing here. All the polls showed he was well ahead of the pack and coming in second has got to hurt.

Tea-Party-agenda-GOP.jpg
============
The main thing we learned from this " caucus " is that POLLS SUCK.

What do you think?

And you call that dead.
I disagree with you. TK said he thought the GOP Establishment is dead, not the GOP in general. The anti-establishment candidates received over 50% of the GOP votes. The establishment may not quite be on life support, but it should be worried. The situation is so bad for the establishment, that one of the Koch brothers is spending great amounts of money to derail Trump. Will he do the same for Cruz? The fix is in.

Let's see the evidence you have showing the Koch brothers spending great amounts of money....

The Koch brothers haven't endorsed anyone that I'm aware of.

The interesting thing is people call Rubio the establishment yet they seem to forget he was voted into the Senate as part of the 2010 Tea Party wave. Rubio is not as bombastic as Trump or Cruz to be sure but I don't know that makes him establishment.

What I got from Iowa

1. Cruz used two dirty tricks that makes him look dishonest, He told Carson voters that Carson had dropped out of the race, and sent a "notice" telling people their voting habits are being monitored which had information about neighbors and whether they had been voting in the caucuses. It actually said "Official" at the top of the notice.

2. Trump cannot depend on charisma for his votes. He needs end games and organizational plans to get his vote out. Trump needs to stop repeating himself in speeches. People want to know HOW he is going to do some of the things he talks about.

4. Clinton has an entire office working on mud slinging attacks on other candidates that she can use at the opportune time. So far, it's major focus has been Trump and that may not have been a good idea for Trump has said he will give it right back to her. All this ends in less time on important issues

==========

The Dirty Trick from Cruz DOES NOT MAKE HIM LOOK DISHONEST.

It proves he IS DISHONEST.

He should be disqualified for sending out mailers pretending to be " official government documents ".

That's the tactic of scam artists which is, apparently, what he is or wants to be considered.

The interesting thing is people call Rubio the establishment yet they seem to forget he was voted into the Senate as part of the 2010 Tea Party wave. Rubio is not as bombastic as Trump or Cruz to be sure but I don't know that makes him establishment.
Rubio was pro-immigration/legal status and pro Paul Ryan tax plan, before he folded quicker than a cheap shirt in response to the Donald and Cruz. But he is/was the last best hope of the establishment of being that last one standing who is not a bomb thrower and poison in the general election, and who conceivably could be the nominee who also gets the tea party vote.

To me, his lack of backbone makes Obama look like he belongs on Mt. Rushmore.

What do you think?

Totally agree... the GOP establishment is in panic mode.

And yes, this is a good thing.

What I got from Iowa

Good post Jackson. I agree to a point on some of the things you said.

1. It's legal to do what he did (mailers) and while it is douchey it worked.
2. I don't think Trump did that poorly considering Iowa isn't known for getting behind anyone that isn't evangelical x10. Cruz played that card perfectly and it paid off.
3. Agree 100% that Cruz is too evangelical. I mean in reality its nothing but an act, but it won't serve him.
5. Agreed and I believe this turns into a Trump/Rubio run for the nomination. Cruz is just too douchey and phony to get out of Iowa.

What I got from Iowa

==========

The Dirty Trick from Cruz DOES NOT MAKE HIM LOOK DISHONEST.

It proves he IS DISHONEST.

He should be disqualified for sending out mailers pretending to be " official government documents ".

That's the tactic of scam artists which is, apparently, what he is or wants to be considered.

Official Government Document was nowhere on the mailer. Stop lying.

On one side, the mailer reads: "ELECTION ALERT: VOTER VIOLATION," "PUBLIC RECORD" and "FURTHER ACTION NEEDED."

The other side of the mailer says "VOTING VIOLATION" in red letters at the top before text that reads:

What do you think?

And you call that dead.

Let's see the evidence you have showing the Koch brothers spending great amounts of money....

You are right that they haven't endorsed anyone...just going after Trump to defeat him.
Koch Brothers' Network Considering Anti-Trump Campaign
Conservative Koch Brothers' Political Network Is Stumped by Trump
The Koch network is unlikely to endorse a Republican presidential candidate in the primary, but what is less clear is if the conservative activists who spent $400 million in the last presidential election will actively try to defeat Trump in the primary. It's possible that they will and it's a decision that will be made after the early primary states have voted, a senior official at the Koch-backed political action committee Freedom Partners Action Fund told NBC News.

What do you think?

And you call that dead.

You are right that they haven't endorsed anyone...just going after Trump to defeat him.
The Koch network is unlikely to endorse a Republican presidential candidate in the primary, but what is less clear is if the conservative activists who spent $400 million in the last presidential election will actively try to defeat Trump in the primary. It's possible that they will and it's a decision that will be made after the early primary states have voted, a senior official at the Koch-backed political action committee Freedom Partners Action Fund told NBC News.

The link says they are "considering" an anti-Trump campaign.

Show me evidence that they are in fact spending great amounts of money to derail Trump.

Your link doesn't support your claim.

What I got from Iowa

2. I don't think Trump did that poorly considering Iowa isn't known for getting behind anyone that isn't evangelical x10. Cruz played that card perfectly and it paid off.
3. Agree 100% that Cruz is too evangelical. I mean in reality its nothing but an act, but it won't serve him.
5. Agreed and I believe this turns into a Trump/Rubio run for the nomination. Cruz is just too douchey and phony to get out of Iowa.
I think it's too early to decide what the likely will be. I am/was a supporter of Trumps and I believe he thought he could win this state as well as others on his self proclaimed charm. He has to get the ground work done in each state. Does he know to establish this kind of organization? Will he fire his campaign manager now? lol

What do you think?

And you call that dead.

The link says they are "considering" an anti-Trump campaign.

Show me evidence that they are in fact spending great amounts of money to derail Trump.

Your link doesn't support your claim.
They haven;t yet. But their money and influence are on the ready if Trump is successful in the early states.

"what is less clear is if the conservative activists who spent $400 million in the last presidential election will actively try to defeat Trump in the primary. It's possible that they will and it's a decision that will be made after the early primary states have voted, a senior official at the Koch-backed political action committee Freedom Partners Action Fund told NBC News."...

"if they choose, the Kochs could unleash a sizable war chest against Trump. "

What I got from Iowa

I think it's too early to decide what the likely will be. I am/was a supporter of Trumps and I believe he thought he could win this state as well as others on his self proclaimed charm. He has to get the ground work done in each state. Does he know to establish this kind of organization? Will he fire his campaign manager now? lol
I think what people are missing is that he actually did well. This is Iowa remember. It would have been a shocker had he won Iowa. That would have sent shock waves everywhere because that would have meant the evangelicals totally abandoned their voting history. This is why Cruz needed to win more so than Trump.

Iowa consistently picks losers because they vote for the most evangelical rather than the best candidate. No surprises here.

Forum List

Back