What Has Happened To Common Sense?

No, I'll say that is a ridiculous scenario. There has never, even at the absolute height of this, been a shortage of beds here. Maybe the case in other cities/states, but not a problem here. They threw up field hospitals that cost millions and were never used. ER visits declined as people avoided hospitals. Hospitals laid people off.

Now you're straying into nonsense land. Too bad, it was a reasonable discussion to that point.

Not sure where you live, but if what you say is accurate it would be a miracle.

My girlfriend works for Emory in Atlanta. During the height of the pandemic there was indeed a shortage of beds, especially in ICU. And currently the situation is critical once again. For example, Grady Memorial is one of the top trauma hospitals in the nation. If you are in an accident and need critical care quickly, Grady is the place you want to be. Except Grady Memorial is so crowded they are under diversion conditions. They are sending patients elsewhere.

No, I'll say that is a ridiculous scenario. There has never, even at the absolute height of this, been a shortage of beds here. Maybe the case in other cities/states, but not a problem here. They threw up field hospitals that cost millions and were never used. ER visits declined as people avoided hospitals. Hospitals laid people off.

Now you're straying into nonsense land. Too bad, it was a reasonable discussion to that point.

The irony of you to open the debate suggesting the lack of common sense the proceed to encourage no one should get the vaccine. Then you suggest the pandemic isn't real.
Where's the common sense in that?
It's not real common in your brain.

How would anyone expect to see people dropping dead in the street? Why would they be? They'd be in hospital you idiot.

Do you ever read anything you write?
I know who is asdumb as a box of rocks.
There are two types of people in this world: Those that want to control others, and those that want to be left alone. But what motivates the control freaks? Why are they the way they are?

You two are among the former types of people.

Robert Anton Wilson once said:

“The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than cowardly.”

COWARDS!

Yeah...until you started with the "well, we're fine; fuck everyone else" stance.... of course entire cities at the height of the pandemic had scarce ER/ICU beds.... Ours was one of them.

The economic issues of course, are off topic since those who would normally self present were not going anywhere near the hospital and the laws of supply and demand kicked in; had nothing to do with covid patients themselves.

At the height of the pandemic.

Would you expect that now with a good portion of the country vaxxed? If so, maybe your faith in vaccines is misplaced.

And, save me the hystrionics. If you want a vax, get one. I've never said otherwise. Those that haven't have chosen not to, which is their choice to make, and I would think people in these areas might have seen that and has had it influence their calculus. See how that works?

Last edited:
Not sure where you live, but if what you say is accurate it would be a miracle.

My girlfriend works for Emory in Atlanta. During the height of the pandemic there was indeed a shortage of beds, especially in ICU. And currently the situation is critical once again. For example, Grady Memorial is one of the top trauma hospitals in the nation. If you are in an accident and need critical care quickly, Grady is the place you want to be. Except Grady Memorial is so crowded they are under diversion conditions. They are sending patients elsewhere.

I'm in Illinois, what I`ve said is 100% true. They also turned a convention center into a hospital at a cost, IIRC 32M. It saw 30-some odd patients.

This was not uncommon.

And, it is tue, some states have more beds per person than others, which makes it less a miracle than simple math. GA may have less, I don't know. Saw an article on it a year ago, but have no idea where to find it now,

Last edited:
There are two types of people in this world: Those that want to control others, and those that want to be left alone. But what motivates the control freaks? Why are they the way they are?

You two are among the former types of people.

Robert Anton Wilson once said:

“The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than cowardly.”

COWARDS!

By saying people should make their own choices on whether or not they get a vaccine I'm telling them what to do. Yeah, Ok.

At the height of the pandemic.

Would you expect that now with a good portion of the country vaxxed? If so, maybe your faith in vaccines is misplaces.

And , save me the hystrionics. If you want a vax, get one. I've never said otherwise. Those that haven't have chosen not to, which is their choice to make,
There in lies the difference. Two types of people…those who want to control others, and those that want to be left alone.

By saying people should make their own choices on whether or not they get a vaccine I'm telling them what to do. Yeah, Ok.
Sorry. You should not have been added to my post. It was meant for Candycane.

RWNJ talk radio and the republican disinformation machine generally.

Great job representing them, BTW.
Common sense isn’t right or left. There are plenty of dumb asses on both sides of the political spectrum.

Fake news. Decimal deliberately misplaced. The actual rate is ten times that.

Sorry, not true. If you think the IFR is 4.0% you need to do some basic googling.

Nowhere close and highly stratified by age. Much lower in some age groups

It depends on the individual. Each individual needs to do their own risk/benefit analysis when considering whether or not to get the vaccine. Yes, I know "individual" is a very hard concept for LWNJ sheeple like you to comprehend.

For example: There's no reason that somebody who already had COVID-19 and recovered should get vaccinated, because they have already developed immunity. When you do the risk/benefit analysis, there is no possible benefit, however, getting the shot has a risk of unwanted side effects. And most people do have side effects.

The risks outweigh the benefits, therefore it is wiser for them to decline the shot.
It's not about the individual, it's about the country.

It is true, sorry for your luck.

Wrong. Sorry for yours. We don't even see that .4 until the 60 year old age group. As I said, correctly, my estimate of the average was intentionally high. We don't see that 4% until much higher 75-79 year old age group, and then only in men. Mean is still less than 4.

covid infection fatality rate death rate by age sex_0.png

Last edited:
Totally nuts.

When asked what their likelihood of dying from covid if they get it is, the average answer is 12.8%, or 12 in a hundred

Not even close. High estimate is .4% for, which tranlates into a ~32X difference.

People are so damn lazy they're not even looking at any of this, which would take about 10 minutes to chase around.

Countless examples of this in this situation...
Human beings are more important than numbers.
How would you feel if your son or daughter was one of those low percentage people that died?

Human beings are more important than numbers.
How would you feel if your son or daughter was one of those low percentage people that died?

Not likely. See my last post in this thread. Further to that, a study by Harvard showed that, in children's reported deaths, some were totally unrelated to Covid, ie car crash or whatever (I think that number was north of 30% of the total, but would have to check), and the rest, as in all of them, had severe comorbities.

Disregarding all of that, the data on the CDC's own site shows less deaths among children in a year than died of the flu in the 2018 flu season.

And that completely misses the point, which is about the level to which people are misinformed on this risk factor to themselves.

Last edited:
Utterly ridiculous.

From the OP:
"Most fellow Americans, if they're being honest, will tell you—when asked—how throughout the past year and a few months of surviving the (supposed) pandemic, they never once saw, with their own eyes, people dropping dead or even dropping over at all (from COVID-19) in the streets, stores, other places of business, their own homes, or at work. That simply never happened, anywhere . . . not ever, not once."

This is not some zombie plague you saw on tv. It is an actual illness. Denying it because no one has seen people dropping dead in the streets may be the weakest argument ever posted here.
But that was how it was sold to people; that was the hype.

They terrorized people with all this fear-mongering, and it was all bullshit.

You really expect anyone to believe them now?

Forum List

Back