What exactly is the Holy Grail - and why has its meaning eluded us for centuries?

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
Type Holy Grail in to any search machine......you don't need me to finish that sentence.

The sheer multiplicity of what any search engine throws up demonstrates that there is no clear consensus as to what the Grail is or was. But that doesn’t mean there aren’t plenty of people out there claiming to know its history, true meaning and even where to find it.

Modern authors, perhaps most (in)famously Dan Brown, offer new interpretations and, even when these are clearly and explicitly rooted in little more than imaginative fiction, they get picked up and bandied about as if a new scientific and irrefutable truth has been discovered. The Grail, though, will perhaps always eschew definition. But why?

The first known mention of a Grail (“un graal”) is made in a narrative spun by a 12th century writer of French romance, Chrétien de Troyes, who might reasonably be referred to as the Dan Brown of his day – though some scholars would argue that the quality of Chrétien’s writing far exceeds anything Brown has so far produced.

Chrétien’s Grail is mystical indeed – it is a dish, big and wide enough to take a salmon, that seems capable to delivering food and sustenance. To obtain the Grail requires asking a particular question at the Grail Castle. Unfortunately, the exact question (“Whom does the Grail serve?”) is only revealed after the Grail quester, the hapless Perceval, has missed the opportunity to ask it. It seems he is not quite ready, not quite mature enough, for the Grail.

What exactly is the Holy Grail – and why has its meaning eluded us for centuries?

The Holy Grail is an imaginary thing of purportedly super power. Except nobody can find it. Maybe it's right next to Jo Smith's Golden Plates? :biggrin:

The Holy Grail is an imaginary thing of purportedly super power. Except nobody can find it. Maybe it's right next to Jo Smith's Golden Plates? :biggrin:

There must have been some kind of origin to it.
It's like the bible, all made up. So kind of a Santa Claus thing, he's cool and we like to sort of believe in him, but deep down know that no fat guy is coming down my chimney either.

• Banned

It's like the bible, all made up. So kind of a Santa Claus thing, he's cool and we like to sort of believe in him, but deep down know that no fat guy is coming down my chimney either.

Some houses don't have chimneys. :321:

I always thought the myth was about "the cup of the last supper'' that Christ drank from....?

People with chimneys are a better class of people.

Type Holy Grail in to any search machine......you don't need me to finish that sentence.

The sheer multiplicity of what any search engine throws up demonstrates that there is no clear consensus as to what the Grail is or was. But that doesn’t mean there aren’t plenty of people out there claiming to know its history, true meaning and even where to find it.

Modern authors, perhaps most (in)famously Dan Brown, offer new interpretations and, even when these are clearly and explicitly rooted in little more than imaginative fiction, they get picked up and bandied about as if a new scientific and irrefutable truth has been discovered. The Grail, though, will perhaps always eschew definition. But why?

The first known mention of a Grail (“un graal”) is made in a narrative spun by a 12th century writer of French romance, Chrétien de Troyes, who might reasonably be referred to as the Dan Brown of his day – though some scholars would argue that the quality of Chrétien’s writing far exceeds anything Brown has so far produced.

Chrétien’s Grail is mystical indeed – it is a dish, big and wide enough to take a salmon, that seems capable to delivering food and sustenance. To obtain the Grail requires asking a particular question at the Grail Castle. Unfortunately, the exact question (“Whom does the Grail serve?”) is only revealed after the Grail quester, the hapless Perceval, has missed the opportunity to ask it. It seems he is not quite ready, not quite mature enough, for the Grail.

What exactly is the Holy Grail – and why has its meaning eluded us for centuries?

There's no doubt the grail existed, the Bible is constantly being proven by archeological digs. I doubt that it was some gold jewel-encrusted thing that popular culture depicts, as the common people of Biblical times were simple. It's probably still buried in some ancient landfill, waiting to be dug up.

People with chimneys are a better class of people.

Your name must be Parsifal.

This thread will teach me to come upstairs and try to be normal.

:backpedal:

There's no doubt the grail existed, the Bible is constantly being proven by archeological digs. I doubt that it was some gold jewel-encrusted thing that popular culture depicts, as the common people of Biblical times were simple. It's probably still buried in some ancient landfill, waiting to be dug up.

I went all around Europe once, on a project, looking for it. Enduring myth that it is.

There were even weird links to it in the most unexpected places in England.

This is most likely an honest replica of the cup used at The Last Supper

main

It's all part of the grotesque misinterpretation of the significance of Jesus. Everything about him of real importance is metaphysical, and everything physical, meaningless.

I believe it was knowledge of the bloodline of Christ. It was zealously protected knowledge, since being related to him could spell your death.

Forum List

Back