What does the California $20 minimum wage law actually do?

Seems like the bill only makes it illegal to hire anyone for less than $20/hour.

Thats the bill.

All the chin wagging about the RESULTS of the bill are just BS PIE IN THE SKY.

We know the bill has resulted in layoffs.
That's pretty much it. Teenagers, trainees, others who just need a foot in the door to show what they can do will have a much tougher time finding jobs. A lot of employers, especially retailers, will use more part time help in peak hours so they don't have to pay somebody all day. Etc. And everybody's cost for most things will tick up a bit on top of an already costly inflationary situation.

That is the whole problem with the leftist "the government is your savior" crowd is they don't seem to care at ALL what negative side effects or consequences a given policy or law might have and don't seem to give a damn about the results.

Last edited:
When you begin your “career”, it is like Kindergarden.

No one STAYS IN KINDERGARDEN FOR THEIR ENTIRE ACADEMIC CAREER.

Same with minimum wage. It is not supposed to be a living wage. You are supposed to learn shit and become more valuable and get promoted and earn more money.

If you have earned minimum wage for 30 years, you are doing something wrong.

Why is this difficult to grasp?

Seems like the bill only makes it illegal for businesses to hire anyone for less than $20/hour.

Thats the bill.

Job losses, higher prices, more crime, more tough times for poor and working class people. The same as every DemoKKKrat policy.

This is partly Democrats catering to Migrant workers who use these jobs as primary jobs.
fast food work used to be a right of passage for our kids... I know, myself I worked hard in a restaurant for my first job, washing dishes, busing tables, waiting on people etc.

There is this attitude now with Leftist/ Democrat elites... many like we see on this board here who have given up on the American people. They say Americans dont want to work, so we need to import millions of illegals to fill these jobs.

Yeah, they are giving up on our own kids. and maybe its true, the kids today are getting fat and lazy and just want to play video games. All the more reason though to get their asses working, but now there will be no place for them, as all these jobs will be filled up by desperate migrants.

Hey Libs isnt it great that we can provide for the ciytizens of other countries, so their own governments dont have to be bothered by social problems? Your a bunch of whack jobs disguised as people who care.

Job losses, higher prices, more crime, more tough times for poor and working class people. The same as every DemoKKKrat policy.
Southern KKK.png

When you begin your “career”, it is like Kindergarden.

No one STAYS IN KINDERGARDEN FOR THEIR ENTIRE ACADEMIC CAREER.

Same with minimum wage. It is not supposed to be a living wage. You are supposed to learn shit and become more valuable and get promoted and earn more money.

If you have earned minimum wage for 30 years, you are doing something wrong.

Why is this difficult to grasp?
Exactly. When my husband and I married it was understood he was the primary bread winner. And because he was transferred a lot, I was the one who had to start over in each new town. And sometimes it took two or three jobs to find one I really enjoyed and paid enough. But I started over at or near minimum wage several times to get my foot in the door and show what I could do. And I never had to stay at minimum wage more than a week or two before my employer knew he wanted to keep me. And in the very few cases where I didn't think I would be able to work up to what I was worth I just went to another job. And as a result I have had a wonderful eclectic career doing many different things and had some jobs I absolutely loved and remember with nothing but fondness.

But if the government said the people couldn't hire me at a low or modest minimum wage, I never would have had a chance to do a lot of those jobs. Very very few stay at minimum wage for long and those that do rarely need more than that because a job is more of something for them to do than a necessity. As a result fewer than 2 percent of the work force is working at minimum wage and those are almost all trainees, school kids, first time employees and they likely won't stay there for long. A too high minimum wage will shut a lot of them out of the job market altogether.

Last edited:
Exactly. When my husband and I married it was understood he was the primary bread winner. And because he was transferred a lot, I was the one who had to start over in each new town. And sometimes it took two or three jobs to find one I really enjoyed and paid enough. But I started over at or near minimum wage several times to get my foot in the door and show what I could do. And I never had to stay at minimum wage more than a week or two before my employer knew he wanted to keep me. And in the very few cases where I didn't think I would be able to work up to what I was worth I just went to another job. And as a result I have had a wonderful eclectic career doing many different things and had some jobs I absolutely loved and remember with nothing but fondness.

But if the government said the people couldn't hire me at a low or modest minimum wage, I never would have had a chance to do a lot of those jobs. Very very few stay at minimum wage for long and those that do rarely need more than that because a job is more of something for them to do than a necessity. As a result fewer than 2 percent of the work force is working at minimum wage and those are almost all trainees, school kids, first time employees and they likely won't stay there for long. A too high minimum wage will shut a lot of them out the job market altogether.

I think many in the cult know this, they are mentally imprisoned by far left orthodoxy.

They would rather belong to that fucked up “group” than be honest and objective.

Its so bizare to watch these co-opted drones.

Seems like the bill only makes it illegal for businesses to hire anyone for less than $20/hour.

Thats the bill.

You folks do realize that this wage is only for fast food workers. Everyone else is $16.00 per hour.

Say hello to kiosks and automated machines taking over in California.

25% jump in labor costs overnight. 🤡

Nothing but blue skies ahead for everyone in Cali!

What is that you say? We already have layoffs and price hikes?

WEIRD.

LEFTY CULT MATH DOES NOT MATH.

I think many in the cult know this, they are mentally imprisoned by far left orthodoxy.

They would rather belong to that fucked up “group” than be honest and objective.

Its so bizare to watch these co-opted drones.
Yes. I have often opined that it must be something in the water they drink or some such that switches off the ability to think in abstract terms, engage in critical thinking, utilize logic and reason in their analysis. Many seem incapable of that but think and speak only in assigned talking points, slogans, memes, ad hominem, personal insults, etc. and intellectual honesty seems beyond their grasp. So pathetic to be that way.

What about those who were earning $20/hour last week.

They should get a raise this week, right?

If worker A has 1 week experience and is paid $16/hour (minimum wage) and worker B has a year experience and gets paid $20/hour…when minimum wage is raised to $20/hour…what should worker B get paid? $25/hour? 20% raise…right?

Last edited:
Yes. I have often opined that it must be something in the water they drink or some such that switches off the ability to think in abstract terms, engage in critical thinking, utilize logic and reason in their analysis. Many seem incapable of that but think and speak only in assigned talking points, slogans, memes, ad hominem, personal insults, etc. and intellectual honesty seems beyond their grasp. So pathetic to be that way.

You are clearly racist! :10:

Forum List

Back