What do you think about the United States Postal Service. Do you think it should be privatized?

Further, the volume of mail is decreasing every year.

Email and the internet killed private mail.
I remember 5-10 years ago they were talking about reducing deliveries to five days a week.

What happened?
Amazon and internet business took off and a large amount of commerce is done by mail.

Instead of cutting down on mail deliveries, USPS is now delivering seven days a week.

There was a recent podcast on the Valuetainment show and what are the gusts brought up a very interesting point he said hey if people want the US Postal Service to be privatized it will be disastrous for people in rural communities who would have to pay huge fees to ship out mail.

This is mostly meant for the American people who think that we should not have any government, like those who think we should not have police forces, no labor rights, no minimum wage …basically anarchists.

Government oversight is necessary in any civilized country otherwise you would have gangs running things you would have corrupt employers paying $.50 an hour , there would be employing children and sweatshops just like we used to have before things were corrected.

And so imagine if private companies ran our mail services there will probably be a number of them or perhaps eventually a monopoly … you might even have to pay to receive mail not as we do now through taxes literally like every time you get one piece of mail you might have to pay a dollar or something.

So I support the United States Postal Service and its long traditions. It’s right in line with the traditions of America going back so many years. A mailman has always been a pretty good paying job in this country with union benefits. One of the last union jobs in this country. I think most Americans have always respected the mailman whenever they come around during Christmas time they would give them cookies or a gift of some sorts.
It should be abolished.

So what's your point? Divest those routes where private enterprise feel they can make money on. And as people find ways to make money on other routes, add them to the private sector.

I suspect that it won't be that long before drones can move mail.

Further, the volume of mail is decreasing every year.
Folks in rural areas will not get mail service to receive bills, tax forms, medicine...

There was a recent podcast on the Valuetainment show and what are the gusts brought up a very interesting point he said hey if people want the US Postal Service to be privatized it will be disastrous for people in rural communities who would have to pay huge fees to ship out mail.

This is mostly meant for the American people who think that we should not have any government, like those who think we should not have police forces, no labor rights, no minimum wage …basically anarchists.

Government oversight is necessary in any civilized country otherwise you would have gangs running things you would have corrupt employers paying $.50 an hour , there would be employing children and sweatshops just like we used to have before things were corrected.

And so imagine if private companies ran our mail services there will probably be a number of them or perhaps eventually a monopoly … you might even have to pay to receive mail not as we do now through taxes literally like every time you get one piece of mail you might have to pay a dollar or something.

So I support the United States Postal Service and its long traditions. It’s right in line with the traditions of America going back so many years. A mailman has always been a pretty good paying job in this country with union benefits. One of the last union jobs in this country. I think most Americans have always respected the mailman whenever they come around during Christmas time they would give them cookies or a gift of some sorts.
Privatizing the US Postal Service requires a constitutional amendment, so this isn't an issue.

Competition should definitely be allowed, but I can't see the point in just selling the US Post Office. Mail is less important than ever before. I can't think of the last time I wrote a check to be mailed out. I get my income electronically as well.

I would definitely be in favor of reducing the number of days for mail delivery. And the decision to quit offering mail services at Staples was ill advised as well.
I wonder what the environmentalists think about paper mail services…. perhaps just getting rid of it in terms of replacing it with emails.

we can see that there are pros and cons when it comes to the United States Postal Service. I support it idea because it goes way back into American history. But obviously as things evolve or as time goes on problems could arise for any Company whether it is private or government ran.

To the contrary, I find most postal clerks to be pleasant and helpful

I find they have no urgency whatsoever. If you go into a post office and there is a long time with just one clerk, that's just the way it is. The managers won't come out to help nor will they bring other clerks out from the back to lend a hand.

I detect a real "could give a shit less" attitude instead of proactive public service and respect for other people's time.

Email and the internet killed private mail.
I remember 5-10 years ago they were talking about reducing deliveries to five days a week.

What happened?
Amazon and internet business took off and a large amount of commerce is done by mail.

Instead of cutting down on mail deliveries, USPS is now delivering seven days a week.
they have been talking about 5 day delivery in all the 33 years i worked there....but every monday would be like a day after a holiday and it would take 2-3 days to catch up and that would mean OT....so it wont work....

I find they have no urgency whatsoever. If you go into a post office and there is a long time with just one clerk, that's just the way it is. The managers won't come out to help nor will they bring other clerks out from the back to lend a hand.

I detect a real "could give a shit less" attitude instead of proactive public service and respect for other people's time.
not just any clerk can work the windows....they deal with money...they are a whole different ballgame then the clerks in back ....

Privatizing the US Postal Service requires a constitutional amendment, so this isn't an issue.
Thank you for the good point. Some are saying that the USPS should be abolished what do you think they mean by that. Do you think the USPS should make some changes to perhaps get out of debt the it is reportedly in?

they have been talking about 5 day delivery in all the 33 years i worked there....but every monday would be like a day after a holiday and it would take 2-3 days to catch up and that would mean OT....so it wont work....
Now, I see those postal trucks every day of the week

Private couriers are far more efficient.
no they are not....i seen this shit first hand with the UPS and FED X drivers on my route....you just hear about the PO's fuck ups more because they are govt and people bitch more about them because of that, but the other guys fuck up just as much...

not just any clerk can work the windows....they deal with money...they are a whole different ballgame then the clerks in back ....

The managers and supervisors can all work the windows and do any job in the joint. If they don't want to train more people to be able to fill in, they can certainly break off playing solitaire in their offices to help out too.

Used to be required infrastructure and stable and a decent candidate for government operation. Now it is being completely disrupted by digital and the government is nowhere near agile enough to avoid a Borders Books/Blockbuster scenario. Privatization is the only hope for it.

Forum List

Back