What do you remember about Sept 11, 2001?

If they hate us we only encourage them with our weakness. The only way they'll respect us is if we show strength. That's the only thing they understand. Middle Eastern countries are old-fashioned macho societies where men are men and for the most part to variant degrees women are half a person. It's the only thing they know. They have too much pride to admit defeat or admit they're wrong. That's the dilemma.

That seems to be true of those in the ME, not of most of them here. I have a considerable number of Muslim friends here in the states who are highly educated, cultured, and delightful people.

I never had any negative opinions of Muslims until 9/11, which taught me to be much more vigilant and aware. I think it's a damn shame that a handful of nuts have divided the world so effectively, and is causing our own population to have a deeper divide than we already had politically. But that's the reality that we live in today, so I stay aware, keep alert, and keep in mind that American life has lost much of its innocence. It has not made me fear, but it has made me learn to think more soberly.

And yet in England their subway bombings were carried out by Highly educated Muslims, taught in the best schools in England, raised in England. Go figure.

If they hate us we only encourage them with our weakness. The only way they'll respect us is if we show strength. That's the only thing they understand. Middle Eastern countries are old-fashioned macho societies where men are men and for the most part to variant degrees women are half a person. It's the only thing they know. They have too much pride to admit defeat or admit they're wrong. That's the dilemma.

That seems to be true of those in the ME, not of most of them here. I have a considerable number of Muslim friends here in the states who are highly educated, cultured, and delightful people.

I never had any negative opinions of Muslims until 9/11, which taught me to be much more vigilant and aware. I think it's a damn shame that a handful of nuts have divided the world so effectively, and is causing our own population to have a deeper divide than we already had politically. But that's the reality that we live in today, so I stay aware, keep alert, and keep in mind that American life has lost much of its innocence. It has not made me fear, but it has made me learn to think more soberly.

And yet in England their subway bombings were carried out by Highly educated Muslims, taught in the best schools in England, raised in England. Go figure.

Yeah, definitely worth consideration.:) Basically, it's a wait and see kind of dilemna.

I bought into all the shit about how we shouldn't give up our freedoms out of fear. Now, 9 years later, I am disappointed to learn that we have freedom of expression as long as it doesn't piss off the muslim world. This one has been a difficult one to stomach.

That is because emotions come and go while principles last a lifetime. September 11th tuged at the emotions of every American that day, yet only a few emerged with a sense of resolve to never let it happen again.

some of you may not realize this, but some with a political agenda, white wash stories, and get rid of links, cause it doesnt fit their agenda

I know the muzzies dont need an excuse , though they try and hide behind many include what their devil book says

Your link goes to a story in New York, and no mention of flag burning
Around 100 people gathered in New York to pay tribute to the 67 Britons killed in the 9/11 attacks six years ago.

Huddled under umbrellas, relatives and friends remembered the victims during a concert in the British Memorial Garden in Manhattan's Hanover Square.

Crap. That'll teach me to make assumptions. According the BBC News 24 (tv) The Remembrance was at the US Embassy in London.... They then showed the Muslims protesting and burning the American flag.

Unfortunately, I can't find it on the BBC site.
It's probably been scrubbed. Take Beck's advice... screenshot EVERYTHING. The left is hiding it's tracks.

Last edited:
I was in Ireland, the Southwest corner, gathering reference material to produce a yardage guide for Doonbeg Golf Links. The photograph used for my avatar was one I had shot 4 days earlier after taking off from Newark on my way to Shannon. There were delays taking off and it got dark before we flew over Manhattan. I remember being pissed because I was up front on the right side with a perfectly clear window to shoot out of. I shot anyway but remember thinking, it's alright, there will be other chances.

I was on the giant 8th green, measuring and drawing it, when the BBC interrupted the program I was listening to. They didn't know much, just an aircraft had hit the first building. I left my equipment there and headed for the clubhouse a mile away, shortly after I got there, the second plane hit. I recognized the United paint job and that it was a wide body aircraft...... they still weren't sure what aircraft had hit the first one but from the size of the hole it must have been similar. At the time, I had 3 brothers that were all Captains with a major airline, not having a clue where they were was very scary.

I remember feeling terrible about being across the Atlantic when my country was being attacked, a helpless feeling and so little information.
The Irish people were wonderful to me, they had a very strong feeling of sorrow and support, a lot of Irish were killed that day. At one point, in a very crowded pub one night, I stood at the bar and banged on my pint of Guinness with a knife.... the overly crowded place went silent. I held up my pint and shouted....."A toast, to my President, may GOD give him the Strength and the Wisdom to do the right thing!".... the place erupted in applause and shouting "USA", I didn't have to buy any more Guinness that night.

I had my laptop with me, with the photos I had shot 4 days before of Manhattan and the Trade Center buildings that were no more...... I witnessed grown Irish men tear up looking at those photos. It hit me hardest on that Friday. Ireland had shut down everything for the day in honor of those who lost their lives. I went to the golf course to work and listened to the radio. Standing on the 18th green, looking at the Atlantic towards America, I cried as I listened to letters written to America from Irish kids.... a moment of loneliness and despair I will never forget. The golf course was in the flight path of all aircraft coming into Shannon, the silence was deafening. Only one of my brothers was flying at that time, he was ordered to put it down at the closest airport which was Kansas City.

It took 2 weeks to get back, very stressful ride back into Newark on one of the first international flights going in there. They put me in first class sitting next to an Irish priest, the crew kept coming to him to bless the flight deck, the galley, the plane itself........ very interesting flight back.

Working for an airline now, and able to walk underneath the 767s like the ones that hit the Trade Center buildings, it's amazing to me that a building could take the huge hit something that size with over 30,000 gallons of fuel and traveling over 500 miles an hour would put on it.

I was listening to the TV news over my shoulder as I was surfing the net waiting for the market to open, reading the headlines. Seeing if I could detect and think that would move the market.

It was my habit to turn on the radio at about 9 Am, I had cup of coffee on the desk,
I turned away from the computer when the first TV report said something about a plane hitting the Tower...

The radio was never turned on ,the coffee never drank , and I never looked back at the computer . I just sat, seemingly unblinking as everything unfolded.

I dont recall any conversation I had that day.

My life changed that day in many ways.

What I knew of Islam , I knew from Robert Heinlein ,El Cid and Shakespeare .
I blamed the Jews for the plight of the "palestinians", and Christians for the Crusades.
I smoked.

So basically this thread is bogus.

No, basically, there's no link! OMG! Imagine that! Something happened and it's not on the internet! Wow. That almost never happens.

Fucking idiot.

actually that almost never (if ever) does happen..

Like hell. I quite often see stuff covered on the BBC news that does not make it onto their website.

Anyone who thinks 'google' provides the answer to everything is a fool.

The fact that in England you can burn a flag proves that England and the US are great nations.

I also have more of problem with people flying the flag improperly or disrespecting the flag, than if they burn it. At least they know their rights, and are doing it out of protest.

I also have more of problem with people flying the flag improperly or disrespecting the flag, than if they burn it. At least they know their rights, and are doing it out of protest.

I don't think many Americans have a problem with jerks who burn the flag... but, it was in Britain - it has nothing to do with their 'rights'. Our rights don't extend to the rest of the world. My real interest was that the police chose to allow the protest - Muslims burning our flag - but did not allow a counter protest. Why not? If it is ok for one group to protest - then it surely is ok for others to protest too? Apparently not in Britain. Go figure.

True! But doesn't America want to spread it's rights around the world? :D

I would never burn our flag, but like I said I have real problem with people who disrespect the flag by not finding out how to fly it properly. After 9/11, it was awesome that so many people flew flags. I worked at Kmart at the time, and we couldn't get flags fast enough, but so many people didn't know how to fly the flag.

The fact that in England you can burn a flag proves that England and the US are great nations.

Wow you have a pretty low standard for greatness.

Burning the flag offends me. But I wouldn't want to kill someone because of it. It just reminds me that rage can be a treatable condition with the right psychiatric care.

Forum List

Back