Were Iraqis really better off under Saddam?

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
It would be interesting to learn which group actually misses Saddam.

Were Iraqis really better off under Saddam?

BAGHDAD — The Baath regime led by former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein collapsed in September 2003 in the wake of the US invasion. Iraq has been uneasy ever since and has yet to recover. Every now and then, voices are heard measuring the current security chaos against the relative stability of Saddam’s rule (1979-2003).

Summary⎙ Print Iraq's current security chaos appears to be inspiring a bit of nostalgia for Saddam Hussein’s days, though it is unclear who, exactly, is reminiscing.
Author Adnan Abu ZeedPosted February 26, 2016
TranslatorPascale Menassa
But whose voices are they, really?

Saddam is remembered amid Iraq's current state of the deteriorating political, security and economic situation. Citizens, cultural and political elites, and active politicians have compared post-Saddam governments to his regime.

In a Jan. 25 interview conducted with Asharq Al-Awsat, former Iraqi Vice President Ayad Allawi (2014-15) said, “Iraqis are nostalgic for Saddam’s days,” in a reference to the worsening situation in the country and the political rift.

That statement might seem hasty, but amid the heated political environment, it fuels tension and leads to finger-pointing. We have often heard that Saddam’s men or the Baathists are the ones making the comparison. Many Iraqi media outlets, such as Al-Masalah website, noted that Allawi’s statement has “dubious" motives and that Allawi is paving the way for the return of the Baath Party. Parliament members discussed Feb. 8 a decision to ban the Baath Party; however, this matter has yet to be settled.

Read more

: Were Iraqis really better off under Saddam? - Al-Monitor: the Pulse of the Middle East

I guess that would depend on if you were a Sunni,Shia,Kurd or a Marsh Arab.

You're right, but the article is interesting in that it appears that there are some in each group who say they miss him.

Some Iraqi people are still afraid to say anything critical of Saddam.

I know two of them who have been in the USA for over a decade. They still do not believe that he is dead. And still live in fear of him. But at least they do not still think I am a Mukhabarat agent simply because I can speak Arabic. I hope.

You're right, but the article is interesting in that it appears that there are some in each group who say they miss him.

Only because we bailed and left them in a crappy spot.
See, what you´ve done? And even if we believe all the propaganda about Hussein, he would still be the better alternative over the results of western freedom-bringing. A decade of terrorism that rose into the "Islamic State" is the direct consequence.
So, and they give a shit and creat the same situation in several countries under the pretext of the "Arab Spring".

Israel wanted Saddam gone and the US government complied to their demands. ..... :cool:

Is Fatso still up. Israel didn't want Iraq gone as it considered Iran its worse enemy.

See, what you´ve done? And even if we believe all the propaganda about Hussein, he would still be the better alternative over the results of western freedom-bringing. A decade of terrorism that rose into the "Islamic State" is the direct consequence.
So, and they give a shit and creat the same situation in several countries under the pretext of the "Arab Spring".

Read the article about how many, many people he had killed.

There is no need for name calling Silly-Sally.

The truth is Israel wants both Iran and Iraq destroyed. Iraq was closer, so the zionist jews instructed America to attack it first. ...... :cool:

Honestly? I don't give a rat's ass about Iraq, Saddam, or the Iraqi people.

The only question that matters is: Now that we've spent BILLION$$$ destabilizing the entire mid east, are the American people better off now then before? Are we better with our thousands of dead, and our tens of thousands of wounded soldiers? Are we at least safer??

Unless you are a brain dead turd, the answer to all of those questions is an unqualified NO.

It was a huge mistake.

Israel wanted Saddam gone and the US government complied to their demands. ..... :cool:

Is Fatso still up. Israel didn't want Iraq gone as it considered Iran its worse enemy.

Read the article about how many, many people he had killed.
Then Read about who supported Saddam to kill...................................Then read about the Americans Slaughtering in Iraq

Forum List

Back