We’re Going to Defend Taiwan?

You mean like Russia was ready for Ukraine? Russia was supposed to have the second largest and most advanced military in the world behind the US, and they are absolutely getting decimated in Ukraine. The US would crush both Russia and China in a conventional war.
They are not comparable. I know nothing about Russia's ranking as far as the military is concerned so that part is lost on me. One fellow I know who was in the Russian army who moved here from Ukraine said that they have vodka for breakfast and vodka for supper. What Happened to Putin's army is no surprise to me. Though considering the fact that Ukraine is in ruins pretty much from one end to the other.... I am wondering why everyone's saying Russia has been defeated. It Wasn't Ukraine that Russia fought... It was NATO from day one. It was NATO that was ready for Russia and not the other way around; And he Still flattened Ukraine with an army of drunks and junkyard equipment. The Chinese are far more clever and resourceful. China is by far the most powerful military opponent the US has ever seen to date bar none and they are getting stronger all the time even as we are waning. China would still be crushed of course.... But the cost to us would be so great I don't think we would be able to defend ourselves afterwards. In fact I'm pretty sure what we were engaging China and a conventional war Russia would probably drop tactical nukes all over North America.... Maybe even God forbid... Some of The 100 megaton charges. They would be destroyed of course but only after we had been. You see what you warhawks fail to realize is that it's a Pyrrhic victory unlike any that's ever been survived because this one would nothing to survive for.

China learned something. If they ever decided to invade Taiwan, their first strike will be against us.

President Biden made the announcement.

I disagree completely with that stance.

China isn't ready, they've seen what's happened in the Ukraine. Biden will not be in office when China is ready anyway.... so it's kind of a pointless thing to say.

And Biden will change his mind 100 times anyway.

Our policy regarding a Chinese invasion of Taiwan was a policy of having no policy. It was a policy of ambiguity. Some genius figured it would be best to keep the Chinese guessing.

The U.S. is the world's lone superpower. We have the largest, most effective military in the world, far exceeding whoever is second.

Within spitting distance of China, Taiwan is a key American ally.

And as the lone superpower our policy toward a Chinese attack on Taiwan was ambiguity. That is outrageous.

Our President would have none of that. President Biden knows that the Chinese leaders are businessmen. China has the second largest economy in the world -- the U.S. is first -- and our President knows that the Chinese leaders would not want to mess that up. A major war is very bad for the economy. It doesn't do much for the citizenry, either, millions of whom are needed for China's industries, not off fighting a war China started.

Knowing all that, when asked, our President said, "Sure we will respond militarily," like the good American that he is. President Biden will not tolerate ambiguity in his foreign policy.

Biden and the west immediately brought down the hammer on Russia

Here is Biden announcing the expansion of sanctions on Russia, 4 days after the Ukraine invasion started:

And how quickly did they cut off their supplies of Russian Gas and liquids petroleum distillates along with crude oil?

Our policy regarding a Chinese invasion of Taiwan was a policy of having no policy. It was a policy of ambiguity. Some genius figured it would be best to keep the Chinese guessing.

The U.S. is the world's lone superpower. We have the largest, most effective military in the world, far exceeding whoever is second.

Within spitting distance of China, Taiwan is a key American ally.

And as the lone superpower our policy toward a Chinese attack on Taiwan was ambiguity. That is outrageous.

Our President would have none of that. President Biden knows that the Chinese leaders are businessmen. China has the second largest economy in the world -- the U.S. is first -- and our President knows that the Chinese leaders would not want to mess that up. A major war is very bad for the economy. It doesn't do much for the citizenry, either, millions of whom are needed for China's industries, not off fighting a war China started.

Knowing all that, when asked, our President said, "Sure we will respond militarily," like the good American that he is. President Biden will not tolerate ambiguity in his foreign policy.
China has a far larger Army than Even All of NATO combined and while lacking carriers have very hundreds of land based fighter and attack aircraft in easy reach of Taiwan not to mention a substantial supply of very high tech attack, cruise, and anti ship missiles along with a very capable surface fleet.

Don't kid yourself, if we get into a shooting war with China over Taiwan it would be the biggest test of the US military since WWII.

A major war is very bad for the economy.
Especially between two economies totally reliant on one another. We can't stop inking Chinese goods, and they can't stop selling them to us. Russia, with an economy the size of Pennsylvania + Ohio, is not going to replace us, when it comes to this.

He sure as hell left a whole lot of ambiguity in his remarks about the outcome should Putin invade Ukraine. Seems his speech writers are learning.

Especially between two economies totally reliant on one another. We can't stop inking Chinese goods, and they can't stop selling them to us. Russia, with an economy the size of Pennsylvania + Ohio, is not going to replace us, when it comes to this.
Oh we absolutely can live without Chinese manufactured goods, it would just be painful doing so for a few years.

China has a far larger Army than Even All of NATO combined and while lacking carriers have very hundreds of land based fighter and attack aircraft in easy reach of Taiwan not to mention a substantial supply of very high tech attack, cruise, and anti ship missiles along with a very capable surface fleet.

Don't kid yourself, if we get into a shooting war with China over Taiwan it would be the biggest test of the US military since WWII.
Yes. Probably a stalemate. Taiwan is 100 miles from the coast. We could pick off transports like sitting ducks. So China would rain missiles. Can't land 200000 troops, when your own missiles and bombs are falling on them.

This risks China just obliterating Taiwanese cities, à la Putin.

Oh we absolutely can live without Chinese manufactured goods, it would just be painful doing so for a few years.
Okay, but I would call that a huge understatement. Yes, we will "survive". If we were smart, we would be taking some more money from the rich right now and subsidizing manufacturing, whether here or somewhere else. When the only Walmart for 100 miles goes empty, there will be lots of pain.

Okay, but I would call that a huge understatement. Yes, we will "survive". If we were smart, we would be taking some more money from the rich right now and subsidizing manufacturing, whether here or somewhere else. When the only Walmart for 100 miles goes empty, there will be lots of pain.
Your obsession with other people's money is sick and destructive.

Your obsession with other people's money is sick and destructive.
No it's just a fact of a progressive tax system. More spendiing = spending mostly more the rich people's tax money. It is what it is. Best system ever invented, too. You seem to be enjoying it so far.

Forum List

Back