Watched "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood last night"

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
It wasn't bad. The 2019 movie was directed by Quentin Tarantino and starred Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt. It was loosely-based on the Tate–LaBianca murders by the Manson family in 1969 but like the movie "Inglorous Basterds", ended with a twist.

I'm not a fan of Tarantino because of his left-leaning ideology, but the movie's ending was a surprise. I almost quit watching it during the last half hour, because I didn't really want to see what I thought it was building up to, that is, the murders of Sharon Tate and five other people, but I kept watching. The ending was a pleasant surprise.

Too bad if you haven't seen it, because I'm going to spoil it for you, just because I hate hippies too. :laughing0301:

I've only seen two of his movies, Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. Both advertised to me he is a sick fucker and should be institutionalized.

I was 11 and living in the Glendale in 1969 ... that movie was a museum perfect reproduction of the LA zeitgeist. The songs and DJs on the radio, the shows and music themes on TV, the ads on the sides of buses ... even the neon signs along Hollywood Blvd.

I was so geeked out by it, I had to go back the next day and see it again.

The Cliff Booth - Rick Dalton relationship was based "very roughly" on Hal Needham and Burt Reynolds friendship -- except Hal Needham didn't beat up Bruce Lee -- it was Gene LaBell.

I've only seen two of his movies, Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. Both advertised to me he is a sick fucker and should be institutionalized.

I agree, both of those movies got carried away with the violence. But in this movie, the violence was carried out against those most deserving of it. The Manson cult were a bunch of real sickos.

I might rewatch it.

Two of my favorite scenes are the one with the little girl actor, and the one where he tells his stunt double to climb on the roof and fix his antenna.

You think, what an asshole, telling his friend to fix his antenna. And then you learn why he told his friend to fix the antenna and it's pretty funny.

The slaughter at the end is a little over the top but there's usually a slaughter in a Tarantino movie and it's always over the top.

I liked Kill Bill movies and Dusk Til Dawn (first one). The rest...no. Yes, he is a sick mofo. So is Stephen King.

I detest Tarantino- but I adore his movies. Hateful 8 is a great flick.

A pretend happy ending when the Manson killers didn't get to the Tate residence that fateful night. Creepy, disturbing and disrespectful. Everything you expect from Tarantino.

I was 11 and living in the Glendale in 1969 ... that movie was a museum perfect reproduction of the LA zeitgeist. The songs and DJs on the radio, the shows and music themes on TV, the ads on the sides of buses ... even the neon signs along Hollywood Blvd.

I was so geeked out by it, I had to go back the next day and see it again.

The Cliff Booth - Rick Dalton relationship was based "very roughly" on Hal Needham and Burt Reynolds friendship -- except Hal Needham didn't beat up Bruce Lee -- it was Gene LaBell.

Gene didn't beat Bruce up. They became friends on the Green Hornet show. They worked out together several times.

LaBell has stated publicly that Bruce was the finest martial artist of his era.

Gene didn't beat Bruce up. They became friends on the Green Hornet show. They worked out together several times.

LaBell has stated publicly that Bruce was the finest martial artist of his era.

I know he said, 'They were just playing around' after the fact. I'm sure Lee and the studio were glad he did.

I like the other version of the story better.

Sorry - but if a person can't find humor in Django?? There is something wrong with you.
The "KKK" scene is just flat out hilarious.
Pulp Fiction is a classic. Who doesn't like the opening scene with the two arguing about whether rubbing a women's feet is sexual? Love how the argument is settled. "It's not sexual!"... "Yeah?... would you rub a man's foot?".... pause... "Fuck you". Settled, rubbing someone's feet is sexual. There are 200 other little moments like this in the movie. It will always be a classic.

I've only just recently started to get around to wanting to watch it. I love Tarantino's movies, so I'm not sure why it took so long. I might even watch it tonight.

I know he said, 'They were just playing around' after the fact. I'm sure Lee and the studio were glad he did.

I like the other version of the story better.

Yeah, there is a famous martial artist who claims he beat Lee in the Los Angeles demonstration too. Then actual film showed up showing Lee beating him. So, was the man always a liar, or did he merely forget the actual facts?

There was a Muay Thai practitioner on the set of the Big Boss in Thailand who talked shit about Lee as well. After a demonstration of his one inch punch the Muay Thai guy was happy to not pursue his smack talk any longer.

Lots of people like to talk bad about Lee for whatever reason. But the facts are he was definitely the best of his era, and one of the best of all time.

It wasn't bad. The 2019 movie was directed by Quentin Tarantino and starred Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt. It was loosely-based on the Tate–LaBianca murders by the Manson family in 1969 but like the movie "Inglorous Basterds", ended with a twist.

I'm not a fan of Tarantino because of his left-leaning ideology, but the movie's ending was a surprise. I almost quit watching it during the last half hour, because I didn't really want to see what I thought it was building up to, that is, the murders of Sharon Tate and five other people, but I kept watching. The ending was a pleasant surprise.

Too bad if you haven't seen it, because I'm going to spoil it for you, just because I hate hippies too. :laughing0301:

QT is Left Leaning?!
I think you're confusing sarcasm with Political Ideology.

Forum List

Back