Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Shrimpbox

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2013
Carrabelle, fl. 60 miles s of tallahassee
I am writing about this movie because when I first saw it I said this is so stupid, what a waste of time. But now that I know the story and can therefore focus on other aspects of the film I find myself marveling over and over at the acting of brad Pitt and Leonardo DeCaprio and the music. This almost never happens. Once I have read a book or watched a movie I usually feel it is a wasto of precious(and limited) time to revisit it.
Brad Pitt got the Oscar but I have to say that the range that Leo showed in this movie is astounding. His mannerisms, smoking and coughing and spitting and drinking we’re just masterstrokes. I can watch these little vignettes over and over. Brad Pitt with his flippant honesty and loyalty to his partner. I don’t swing this way but when brad takes his shirt off he looks DAMN good for a fifty six year old. And I never realized Leo was such a big man. There is a scene where Leo is meeting his 8 yr. old precocious costar that is priceless. There are some huge fails like the guy playing Steve McQueen or the one representing Charles manso, well there were a lot of fails really, most of the cameos sucked, but the interplay between Brad and Leo is one for the ages.
i will spend a lot of time watching snippets of this movie in the reruns over and over. Wondering the whole time what exactly it is that brings me back to this dumb movie, and then knowing that the performance of two great actors can be reason enough to go for seconds and thirds. It also doesn’t hurt that the time period was also when I was coming of age and every song and headline is still vividly in my head. it Is just so weird that I would think a movie a movie blows and then go back to it repeatedly to soak up certain scenes.
Give it a shot, there are a lot of pearls among the swine.

I watched it the other day now that its free to see on tv.
Was not impressed.

I am writing about this movie because when I first saw it I said this is so stupid, what a waste of time. But now that I know the story and can therefore focus on other aspects of the film I find myself marveling over and over at the acting of brad Pitt and Leonardo DeCaprio and the music. This almost never happens. Once I have read a book or watched a movie I usually feel it is a wasto of precious(and limited) time to revisit it.
Brad Pitt got the Oscar but I have to say that the range that Leo showed in this movie is astounding. His mannerisms, smoking and coughing and spitting and drinking we’re just masterstrokes. I can watch these little vignettes over and over. Brad Pitt with his flippant honesty and loyalty to his partner. I don’t swing this way but when brad takes his shirt off he looks DAMN good for a fifty six year old. And I never realized Leo was such a big man. There is a scene where Leo is meeting his 8 yr. old precocious costar that is priceless. There are some huge fails like the guy playing Steve McQueen or the one representing Charles manso, well there were a lot of fails really, most of the cameos sucked, but the interplay between Brad and Leo is one for the ages.
i will spend a lot of time watching snippets of this movie in the reruns over and over. Wondering the whole time what exactly it is that brings me back to this dumb movie, and then knowing that the performance of two great actors can be reason enough to go for seconds and thirds. It also doesn’t hurt that the time period was also when I was coming of age and every song and headline is still vividly in my head. it Is just so weird that I would think a movie a movie blows and then go back to it repeatedly to soak up certain scenes.
I love this movie. The part Brad Pitt plays reminds be of what a perfect SF Teamer would be. Quiet....friendly....and a total bad-ass.

I especially liked when he took out Susan Atkins with a can of dogfood, took down Tex Watson and literally crushed his head....then mashed Patricia Krenwinkel's face into a bloody pulp.

I love this movie. The part Brad Pitt plays reminds be of what a perfect SF Teamer would be. Quiet....friendly....and a total bad-ass.

I especially liked when he took out Susan Atkins with a can of dogfood, took down Tex Watson and literally crushed his head....then mashed Patricia Krenwinkel's face into a bloody pulp.
All while he was either stoned or tripping.

All while he was either stoned or tripping.
Probably the only reason he got a knife in his hip.

It sucked for the most part.

NOW I'm interested. :auiqs.jpg:

We started watching it,,,,got about 15 minutes in and couldn't take anymore
Maybe it's above your head.
What I like about it is it's not preachy or has some homosexual undertone.
It's just a series of interesting character's lives (Like GOT) from back in the 60s with a lot of artistic reinterpretation of a horrible event in American history. A story about a washed up actor...a stuntman who doesn't take shit...a mass murderer (Charles Manson)....an air-headed actress (Sharon Tate)...a martial-arts legend (Bruce Lee)...and how their lives all come together. Did you know Bruce Lee trained Sharon Tate? He was a suspect in the murders for awhile.

Forum List

Back