Washington Post Bans 'Redskins' From Editorials

The Moral Case Against Football

Is it immoral to consume violent entertainment that can result in dire, even deadly consequences for its participants? Is it immoral to cheer for a dazzling show knowing it could cause its stars to develop dementia or memory loss or depression?

That is to say, is it immoral to watch football?

In a punchy new manifesto, New York Times bestselling author Steve Almond argues that it is.

The Moral Case Against Football

It's all about money and violence.

Yes, it's immoral, and I LOVE it

The Redskins will beat the Houston football club on Sunday if and only if the Redskins outscore the Houston football club. If the Houston football clubs scores more then the Redskins, the Redskins will lose a game. It will be the Redskins first loss in their young Redskins season. RG3, The Redskins quarterback, has a beautiful smile. The Redskins running back Alfred Morris is a Redskins fan favorite. Maybe even the Redskins fan favorite since the Redskins former fan favorite Chris Cooley retired from the Redskins. After this week the Redskin will play the Jacksonville football team. The Redskins have a chance to bring home a Redskins victory, in the Redskins first two games.

n-WASHINGTON-REDSKINS-large570.jpg

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Washington Post says it will stop calling Washington's football team the "Redskins" on its editorial page.

The paper's editorial board announced Friday that it will refrain from using the term that it says "unquestionably offends not only many Native Americans but many other Americans, too."

The board noted that it has been speaking out against the Redskins name since 1992. Redskins spokesman Tony Wyllie said the announcement was therefore "no surprise" to the team.

Several major newspapers have stopped using the name altogether.

Redskins owner Dan Snyder has vowed never to change the name, saying it honors Native Americans.

Washington Post Bans Redskins From Editorials

Most famously of all, Marshall was the last owner to accept a black player—fully 15 years after the ban was lifted. And his team drafted an African-American then (in 1961) only because it was forced to by the government—the then-new stadium that we call RFK Stadium today was built on Department of Interior land, which permitted the Kennedy administration to order the lessee (the team) to adhere to federal nondiscrimination policies. In other words, Marshall wasn’t merely a standard-issue racist of the time, like H.L. Mencken or countless others. He was diseased. He seethed with hatred of nonwhite people. And “Redskins” is his handiwork. Because “Braves” wasn’t quite descriptive enough.

The Racist Redskins - The Daily Beast

Progress is slow - but it's still progress. The man who named the Washington Redskins team, George Preston Marshall, was a diseased racist. His racist legacy should die.

Then we must assume they will not mention nor cover the Yankees, Indians, Raiders, Braves, Buccaneers, Cowboys, Chiefs, Vikings, Steelers, Texans, Pirates, Saints, Padres, Browns, Packers.... the list goes on, Heaven forbid. So petty for such a group of well educated intellectuals. Must be an election year the left has once again played the racist card, whoops now who is the racist?

Then we must assume they will not mention nor cover the Yankees, Indians, Raiders, Braves, Buccaneers, Cowboys, Chiefs, Vikings, Steelers, Texans, Pirates, Saints, Padres, Browns, Packers.... the list goes on, Heaven forbid. So petty for such a group of well educated intellectuals. Must be an election year the left has once again played the racist card, whoops now who is the racist?

What's wrong with those names? They don't sound racist to me. Actually, Indians is funny, because Columbus was too fucking dumb to know what continent he was on (thought he was in India) - so he called the natives Indians. White people should be more ashamed/embarrassed by that than Native Americans.

What's wrong with those names? They don't sound racist to me. Actually, Indians is funny, because Columbus was too fucking dumb to know what continent he was on (thought he was in India) - so he called the natives Indians. White people should be more ashamed/embarrassed by that than Native Americans.

Actually Viking is a misrepresentation as well. The people were Norse...... Swedes, Danes, and Fins. To go "a-viking" was their term for raiding.

White people should be embarrassed that we didn't either force your people to assimilate, leave the country, or die. Maybe we can fix that. The cholera blankets didn't work but maybe some Ebola blankets will.

Actually Viking is a misrepresentation as well. The people were Norse...... Swedes, Danes, and Fins. To go "a-viking" was their term for raiding.

White people should be embarrassed that we didn't either force your people to assimilate, leave the country, or die. Maybe we can fix that. The cholera blankets didn't work but maybe some Ebola blankets will.

You're such a kind and considerate person - and sooo open-minded. I made a voodoo doll that looks like Dan Snyder. I'll be really for the Sunday game.

You're such a kind and considerate person - and sooo open-minded. I made a voodoo doll that looks like Dan Snyder. I'll be really for the Sunday game.

Your pagan rituals didn't work 300 years ago and they won't work now. Honestly people like are you are what cause others to look down on other races.

Your pagan rituals didn't work 300 years ago and they won't work now. Honestly people like are you are what cause others to look down on other races.

Voodoo dolls weren't invented by Native Americans.

First of all, may I go on the record to say I hate the Redskins.

However, what I want to know is if political correctness makes them change their name, when the Yankees will be forced by Southerners to change their name as it's a putdown to them.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Washington Post says it will stop calling Washington's football team the "Redskins" on its editorial page.

The paper's editorial board announced Friday that it will refrain from using the term that it says "unquestionably offends not only many Native Americans but many other Americans, too."

The board noted that it has been speaking out against the Redskins name since 1992. Redskins spokesman Tony Wyllie said the announcement was therefore "no surprise" to the team.

Redskins owner Dan Snyder has vowed never to change the name, saying it honors Native Americans.

Most famously of all, Marshall was the last owner to accept a black player—fully 15 years after the ban was lifted. And his team drafted an African-American then (in 1961) only because it was forced to by the government—the then-new stadium that we call RFK Stadium today was built on Department of Interior land, which permitted the Kennedy administration to order the lessee (the team) to adhere to federal nondiscrimination policies. In other words, Marshall wasn’t merely a standard-issue racist of the time, like H.L. Mencken or countless others. He was diseased. He seethed with hatred of nonwhite people. And “Redskins” is his handiwork. Because “Braves” wasn’t quite descriptive enough.

Progress is slow - but it's still progress. The man who named the Washington Redskins team, George Preston Marshall, was a diseased racist. His racist legacy should die.

Look, Redskin YOU are a conquered people.

Deal with it.

Conservatives and their myth of 'political correctness.'

Not to mention the hypocrisy of the right, where private businesses should be allowed to 'do what they want' except when private businesses do something conservatives don't like.

LOL, you can't make stupid shit like this up :)

You an affirmative action Lawyer Counselor?

Look, Redskin YOU are a conquered people.

Deal with it.

Feeling "conquered" is a state of mind - which we don't have...and never will.

Forum List

Back