USMB Coffee Shop IV

This is from one of our practice sessions

This is from a trial in 2015 (this is the lowest level)

This one has a story behind it, wasn’t intentional…but Wyatt using his nose to find a can of cat food in the water.

If you want to see the highest level (Elite) videos are here OLD - Video Examples of NACSW Trial Searches | NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF CANINE SCENT WORK. I have never gotten that far.

Wyatt is learning practical skills (like finding dollar bills and helping with the laundry :p ).

Thank you so much. Being a dog person and having a classmate who judges Westminster dog shows as well as another friend who judges agility competitions, I somehow never heard of this particular type competition. But how wonderful and what fun. :)

The powder day that wasn't...

Get up at 5:00, because I know there's big snow and it's a Friday....Paid parking at Alta, so I decide on Brighton instead....Get a mile up Big Cottonwood @ about 6:45 and traffic comes to a dead stop....Figured I'd wait awhile and see what comes....Listening to the radio to pass the time, traffic report sez there's an avalanche 8-9 miles in front of me......Screw that, I punt and head over the hump to Deer Valley.....Get about 2 miles up Parley's and that traffic is at a near standstil...I'd have no place to park by the time I got to DV, so I say screw that and I'll go to Alta at 1:00 when the parking isn't paid anymore....Driving up to Little Cottonwood and the flashing sign sez "closed for avalanche control"....So I'll drive up to the entrance and ask the cops how long a wait it will be...1/2 mile later, there's a portable flashing sign sayin' both Alta and Snowbird are closed today.

AAAAAAAAARRRRRGH!

Interesting photo. Back row Val Kilmer, Kurt Russell, Bill Paxton with Sam Elliott seated. Movie: "Tombstone" 1993.
The interesting thing is Kilmer and Paxton are about the same height at 5'll" or so while Russell in the middle is 5'9" or so. One of those illusions Hollywood creates for our entertainment.
337093876_229295712994658_7917472489022145724_n.jpg

The powder day that wasn't...

Get up at 5:00, because I know there's big snow and it's a Friday....Paid parking at Alta, so I decide on Brighton instead....Get a mile up Big Cottonwood @ about 6:45 and traffic comes to a dead stop....Figured I'd wait awhile and see what comes....Listening to the radio to pass the time, traffic report sez there's an avalanche 8-9 miles in front of me......Screw that, I punt and head over the hump to Deer Valley.....Get about 2 miles up Parley's and that traffic is at a near standstil...I'd have no place to park by the time I got to DV, so I say screw that and I'll go to Alta at 1:00 when the parking isn't paid anymore....Driving up to Little Cottonwood and the flashing sign sez "closed for avalanche control"....So I'll drive up to the entrance and ask the cops how long a wait it will be...1/2 mile later, there's a portable flashing sign sayin' both Alta and Snowbird are closed today.

AAAAAAAAARRRRRGH!
Our moms told us there would be days like that. Blessedly they didn't tell us how many days would be like that.

I thought to myself re that Tombstone photo that Bill Paxton and Val Kilmer are no longer with us and Kurt Russell is now 72 and Sam Elliott 78. Are there any stars of this caliber coming up to replace these icons of cinema?

It is bittersweet when one after another they are gone and there seems to be nobody now as brilliant and captivating as they were on screen when they were in their prime.

I didn't realize at the time "Top Gun: Maverick" came out last spring that it was Kilmer's last role. He was still Tom "Iceman" Kazansky but the Lt. Kazansky of Maverick was now a full Admiral in the sequel and was dying of throat cancer that had taken his voice as was the case of Val Kilmer the actor who died later that year.

So far I haven't found a single movie made in 2022 worth watching except for "Maverick". And it probably wasn't as good or interesting to those unfamiliar with the original "Top Gun" made 46 years before.

I thought to myself re that Tombstone photo that Bill Paxton and Val Kilmer are no longer with us and Kurt Russell is now 72 and Sam Elliott 78. Are there any stars of this caliber coming up to replace these icons of cinema?

It is bittersweet when one after another they are gone and there seems to be nobody now as brilliant and captivating as they were on screen when they were in their prime.

I didn't realize at the time "Top Gun: Maverick" came out last spring that it was Kilmer's last role. He was still Tom "Iceman" Kazansky but the Lt. Kazansky of Maverick was now a full Admiral in the sequel and was dying of throat cancer that had taken his voice as was the case of Val Kilmer the actor who died later that year.

So far I haven't found a single movie made in 2022 worth watching except for "Maverick". And it probably wasn't as good or interesting to those unfamiliar with the original "Top Gun" made 46 years before.
Que, You've Lost That Loving Feeling.

Que, You've Lost That Loving Feeling.
:)

Something else in the sequel I noted: Miles Teller who played "Rooster", Goose's son, in Maverick was absolutely brilliant in that role and brilliantly cast. Unfortunately will there ever be another role that will allow him to shine to that degree?

You ever had that internal gnawing, where you want something really good and sweet, but nothing sweet sounds good?

I've been having that for a couple of months now.

Actually, I know exactly what I want, I just can't find anyone that makes them.

I had a Napolean back in the early 90's, and fell in love with them.
Been wanting another one ever since. Especially now!!!

Nobody makes them anymore. Not around these parts anyway.

1c3R5Bmp8osQRgiy_AW09gYgXjnb9LbVYs4TbFosJJxYw7oEs_o2UjAQef7Yx1X6fEkFNkQvFrqVeCYoP75W=w1280-h960-c-rj-v1-e365

Best-Napoleon-Dessert-Recipe.jpg

You ever had that internal gnawing, where you want something really good and sweet, but nothing sweet sounds good?

I've been having that for a couple of months now.

Actually, I know exactly what I want, I just can't find anyone that makes them.

I had a Napolean back in the early 90's, and fell in love with them.
Been wanting another one ever since. Especially now!!!

Nobody makes them anymore. Not around these parts anyway.

1c3R5Bmp8osQRgiy_AW09gYgXjnb9LbVYs4TbFosJJxYw7oEs_o2UjAQef7Yx1X6fEkFNkQvFrqVeCYoP75W=w1280-h960-c-rj-v1-e365

Best-Napoleon-Dessert-Recipe.jpg
Not sure if any of the bakeries around here make them, but one day when I was really bored, I decided to make one using pretty much the recipe I linked here. They aren't really difficult to make but you need to allow about a half day's time to complete all the steps. Mine turned out not half bad but I've never been ambitious enough to make another one. :)

Not sure if any of the bakeries around here make them, but one day when I was really bored, I decided to make one using pretty much the recipe I linked here. They aren't really difficult to make but you need to allow about a half day's time to complete all the steps. Mine turned out not half bad but I've never been ambitious enough to make another one. :)

Are those similar to Tres Leche cakes? My SIL has a Mexican chef who makes Tres Leche to die for. When I go to his hotel dining room I usually have 3 or 4 pieces and bring a couple home.

1680311916686.png

1680311986768.png

1680312121804.png

1680312222280.png

Are those similar to Tres Leche cakes? My SIL has a Mexican chef who makes Tres Leche to die for. When I go to his hotel dining room I usually have 3 or 4 pieces and bring a couple home.

View attachment 771704

View attachment 771709

View attachment 771714

View attachment 771716
I love tres leche too and though the concept is somewhat similar, tres leche cakes are well, cakes. Light sponge cakes, almost like angel food, soaked in sweetened milk.topped with heavy whipped cream and often fresh fruit for garnish. Yummy.

A napoleon is definitely pastry as opposed to cake, is more elaborate to create, and will have a definitely different flavor and texture.

Bill Paxton was in a number of good movies, but I don't know that he was a great actor. Not terrible by any means, but if someone were to ask me for a list of great actors, he would never enter my mind. To be fair, I doubt I would think of any of the 4....maybe Kilmer. I remain impressed by his ability to pull off Jim Morrison in The Doors. Each of the 4 has been in multiple movies that I really enjoyed, though. They've all had very good film careers.

I thought Maverick was pretty good, but only pretty good. There just wasn't that much too it; it was about nostalgia at least as much as being a movie in it's own right. As far as good movies from 2022, Everything Everywhere All at Once was excellent. One of the best movies I've seen in a while. It mixes drama, action, comedy, and absurdity, but somehow does so in a very engaging way. I understand why it's won so many awards. The absurdity might make it difficult for some to get into, though.

I haven't seen many movies that came out in 2022 and EEAAO is the only one that truly stuck out. I'm interested in Glass Onion and The Banshees of Insisherin, though.

Bill Paxton was in a number of good movies, but I don't know that he was a great actor. Not terrible by any means, but if someone were to ask me for a list of great actors, he would never enter my mind. To be fair, I doubt I would think of any of the 4....maybe Kilmer. I remain impressed by his ability to pull off Jim Morrison in The Doors. Each of the 4 has been in multiple movies that I really enjoyed, though. They've all had very good film careers.

I thought Maverick was pretty good, but only pretty good. There just wasn't that much too it; it was about nostalgia at least as much as being a movie in it's own right. As far as good movies from 2022, Everything Everywhere All at Once was excellent. One of the best movies I've seen in a while. It mixes drama, action, comedy, and absurdity, but somehow does so in a very engaging way. I understand why it's won so many awards. The absurdity might make it difficult for some to get into, though.

I haven't seen many movies that came out in 2022 and EEAAO is the only one that truly stuck out. I'm interested in Glass Onion and The Banshees of Insisherin, though.
Bill Paxton was good in the roles he played: "Titanic", "Apollo 13", "Twister" et al. Was he one of the super stars? No. But he was good in his ability to play his roles so that you related to the character and not on Bill Paxton.

He wasn't as good as a George C. Scott or Sean Connery and some others who had the gift of actually becoming the characters they played, but was better than those who are always themsleves just reciting different lines.

Most likely a matter of taste or even a generational thing. I don't know.

Speaking of cakes, l can not find find fondant when l am in the US..

Though l should be careful, there’s a difference.As explained here.

Speaking of cakes, l can not find find fondant when l am in the US..

Though l should be careful, there’s a difference.As explained here.

Yes most Americans don't call it that. I suspect it is available but most of us either make our own cake frostings or buy the stuff in cans at the grocery store. (I make my own.) Not sure what the bakers use to create their more exotic cakes.

Just awful weather. Raining all day.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Update on me: although my minuscule cancer has been removed,and there is nothing there, they want me to undergo twelve weeks of “preventative” chemo, followed by antibody treatment (have never heard of that before). I’ve reluctantly agreed, as l feel so well, and dread side effects.

What settled it was the heartbreaking death of a young friend of the family. Always full of life, she would have given anything for a treatment which would have saved her. But it was too late for her, her cancer had spread throughout her body.

Just awful weather. Raining all day.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Update on me: although my minuscule cancer has been removed,and there is nothing there, they want me to undergo twelve weeks of “preventative” chemo, followed by antibody treatment (have never heard of that before). I’ve reluctantly agreed, as l feel so well, and dread side effects.

What settled it was the heartbreaking death of a young friend of the family. Always full of life, she would have given anything for a treatment which would have saved her. But it was too late for her, her cancer had spread throughout her body.
It's not pleasant but I wish they had done that after Kat's Hysterectomy, she might still be here physically. Unfortunately they told us they got everything and not to worry. By the time we discovered it four years latter it was already advanced stage 4. Even after the treatments make sure you get checked for a re-occurrence at least once a year, twice a year is even better.

Forum List

Back