USMB Coffee Shop IV

I have dear friends in Kansas and we visit back and forth--sometimes we go there, sometimes they come here or we meet somewhere in between like Angel Fire. I have driven every inch of the western two thirds of Kansas and know of a lot of interesting sites out there you haven't mentioned. :)

Also have lived on the east side--the southeast has some interesting features--and have flown in and out of Kansas City numerous times and spent many days in Topeka either on business or taking our kids to page at the state legislature. I enjoy sightseeing and imagine there are changes in lots of places.

One of our favorite restaurants when we lived in Salina was to drive 15 miles to Brookville and have their world famous family style fried chicken and coleslaw at the Brookville Hotel. The old hotel was finally condemned I guess and the owners moved the operation to a new location in Abilene. Last time we were there we went there but it just wasn't the same. Still okay food but the ambiance was totally missing.

Awhile back I was thinking of their coleslaw and on a whim asked for the Brookville Hotel coleslaw recipe on line. Wham! I had it! I guess the place is pretty famous to a lot of people. :)

(But compared to all there is to do in Texas and New Mexico, Kansas is still boring by comparison.)
You got that right,not even close.
Oh well then you have an excellent reason to go there again soon. :yes_text12: Next time you come here,you will have to ask them to take you there to Fritz’s,ask them if they ever been there if not,then if they have at least heard of it,if they have not been there,they are missing out,they are missing the time of their life’s,being lifer here in boring kansas I am very qualified to say it is the most exciting thing you will find in the state guaranteed.it’s the only thing here in the state that I can visit that really makes me feel like I’m on a vacation where in Texas,you have that everywhere.

Last edited:
Hi all. I know I haven't been in the CS too much lately but I'm doing well. I won't get "political" here but I'm more seriously mulling over selling most everything off including my house, buying a RV travel trailer and relocating to Arizona or maybe Utah. Texas or Kansas would be other options but I love the Rockies and prefer to stay in the mountain States if I can.
Ringel, if you live in mile-high altitudes, you need to make sure your heart health is optimal. I'm not sure what all foods support good health for your heart, but a good one-a-day type vitamin for senior men might benefit you somewhat. I know that Vitamin E and some of the B vitamins, but just search engine "foods good for heart health," and you will learn a lot more than what I could tell you. Once you have the basis for optimal heart health, the problem is caused by thin air in high altitudes. Many people in the area of Casper, Wyoming where I lived for 35 years were exposed to regional streptococcal bacteria, which puts a strain on the heart, causing heart attacks in their early 50s, many of which were fatal the first time. If you've ever had a condition called "Strep throat" you were more likely to have this issue destroy your life, because many cases are precipitated by a stroke. So look up healthy foods for prevention of heart attack, and you're likely to fight that absence of essential oxygen far better than the people who were at risk before the 60s.

Here is one I found:

10 healthy foods for your heart​

Table set with a bowl of fruits, olives and other various heart healthy foods

The following foods are key to maintaining heart health and also happen to be mainstays of the Mediterranean Diet, an approach to eating linked to a variety of whole-body health benefits. (It's too complicated to just print the whole thing here, so I'm leaving the website instead: 10 Best Heart Healthy Foods - Life Extension

The last thing they posted was spinach and dark green leafy vegetables. We want to be sure our Ringel knows the score about high altitudes and strep disease areas that thrive in some statesin the rockies like nothing else. I wouldn't have known that if Casper schools had not asked for mother volunteers to help poke sanitary q-Tips in students throat and place in special sealed sacks to send a clinic that could tell who had strep on any given day. The disease is highly contagious and seems to weaken the immune system in deadly heart attack too early in life. So I was a Tuesday swab ma for a few years when my children were in elementary schools. lol

Why is Kansas City in Missouri?

Yeah I have always thought that weird myself,there is also a Kansas City ks which is hoodlum territory you want to stay out of with a very corrupt police force.should have been named more appropriately Missouri City Missouri like New York City ny,just have Kansas City ks.

Last edited:
beautress
Sense you lived in Wyoming for so many decades what attractions thete would you recommend? I know it’s pale when stacked up against Texas so I won’t expect a lot.lol

Last edited:
Why is Kansas City in Missouri?

Kansas City straddles the Kansas/Missouri state line so it is in both states but the larger portion is in Missouri. At some point the Kansas side and Missouri side split politically and are separately incorporated cities now. Both are named after the Kansas River that was named after the Kanza (Kaw) Indians once native to that area.

Last edited:
You trying to tell me for over 3 decades,35 years to quote is not a very long time? :laughing0301: :auiqs.jpg:
No, it is. But after awhile most people become a quasi 'native' of wherever it is that they live. When I lived in Texas, I was a Texan. When I lived in Kansas I was a Kansan. We weren't in West Virginia long enough--and knew we weren't staying there--to become a West Virginian. I was not born in New Mexico but I am definitely a New Mexican.

Interesting but I eat all those high oxalate foods (except kale) a LOT and feel great and almost always have perfect blood work every time the doc sends me in for all the blood tests. And at my age, I am pretty happy with that. Obviously the health benefits of those foods outweigh any negatives for most of us.

In this case I think almost all of us don't need to worry too much about oxalates.

Ringel, if you live in mile-high altitudes, you need to make sure your heart health is optimal. I'm not sure what all foods support good health for your heart, but a good one-a-day type vitamin for senior men might benefit you somewhat. I know that Vitamin E and some of the B vitamins, but just search engine "foods good for heart health," and you will learn a lot more than what I could tell you. Once you have the basis for optimal heart health, the problem is caused by thin air in high altitudes. Many people in the area of Casper, Wyoming where I lived for 35 years were exposed to regional streptococcal bacteria, which puts a strain on the heart, causing heart attacks in their early 50s, many of which were fatal the first time. If you've ever had a condition called "Strep throat" you were more likely to have this issue destroy your life, because many cases are precipitated by a stroke. So look up healthy foods for prevention of heart attack, and you're likely to fight that absence of essential oxygen far better than the people who were at risk before the 60s.

Here is one I found:

10 healthy foods for your heart​

Table set with a bowl of fruits, olives and other various heart healthy foods

The following foods are key to maintaining heart health and also happen to be mainstays of the Mediterranean Diet, an approach to eating linked to a variety of whole-body health benefits. (It's too complicated to just print the whole thing here, so I'm leaving the website instead: 10 Best Heart Healthy Foods - Life Extension

The last thing they posted was spinach and dark green leafy vegetables. We want to be sure our Ringel knows the score about high altitudes and strep disease areas that thrive in some statesin the rockies like nothing else. I wouldn't have known that if Casper schools had not asked for mother volunteers to help poke sanitary q-Tips in students throat and place in special sealed sacks to send a clinic that could tell who had strep on any given day. The disease is highly contagious and seems to weaken the immune system in deadly heart attack too early in life. So I was a Tuesday swab ma for a few years when my children were in elementary schools. lol
I'm all for eating foods that promote health in general and avoiding those that are bad for everybody or those that aggravate a particular medical condition.

Certainly those with certain heart issues should not be going into really high altitude areas (over 9000 ft.) but all the data I've seen indicates mile high living is very good for the heart. Boulder CO, elevation 5400 ft, has the lowest heart disease of any major city in the country. Those of us living at higher altitudes develop larger lung capacity and cells and our body manufactures more red blood cells that compensates for slightly less oxygen in the air.

Last edited:
No, it is. But after awhile most people become a quasi 'native' of wherever it is that they live. When I lived in Texas, I was a Texan. When I lived in Kansas I was a Kansan. We weren't in West Virginia long enough--and knew we weren't staying there--to become a West Virginian. I was not born in New Mexico but I am definitely a New Mexican.
oh im not disputing that.but sense she lived there for 35 years she will remember the best places there to go like resteraunts and nice attractions and the like to list no doubt. i sure wish i could brag that im a texan but no im a kansan.

btw you being a former kansan,i assume even though you are not into sports or football,you will be pulling for the chiefs tomorrow?

are you one of those people that go to superbowl parties just to get together with friends to have fun and eat good food,or are you anti sports enough like a lot of ladies and even some men actually,to where you will find something else to do that day like a movie or whatever?

Last edited:
oh im not disputing that.but sense she lived there for 35 years she will remember the best places there to go like resteraunts and nice attractions and the like to list no doubt. i sure wish i could brag that im a texan but no im a kansan.

btw you being a former kansan,i assume even though you are not into sports or football,you will be pulling for the chiefs tomorrow?

are you one of those people that go to superbowl parties just to get together with friends to have fun and eat good food,or are you anti sports enough like a lot of ladies and even some men actually,to where you will find something else to do that day like a movie or whatever?
We have always been Dallas Cowboys fans first, but we were also Chiefs fans when we lived in Kansas. So yes, we'll be pulling for Kansas City. We will have my aunt over for lunch and a movie tomorrow but she'll go home before the Super Bowl starts. That's about as festive as it gets for us these days.

Last edited:
Always wanted to go to Kansas......the US generally really I suppose. Are there any monuments to Toto like they have to Greyfriars Bobby in the UK???

AF1QipO4Ql_iTGV_0_wVY-vzo8KoVOz-iTy2j5TE4L0=s1360-w1360-h1020

AF1QipN5jm1VcMgMJZ_6Se4orBojdFOVbLx09e1TUnY=s1360-w1360-h1020

It was a "must see" when I was there. The dog is buried in the Kirkyard.

Where's Toto???

Hunting-For-Totos-Around-Town-In-Wamego-Kansas.png

Greg

I'm all for eating foods that promote health in general and avoiding those that are bad for everybody or those that aggravate a particular medical condition.

Certainly those with certain heart issues should not be going into really high altitude areas (over 9000 ft.) but all the data I've seen indicates mile high living is very good for the heart. Boulder CO, elevation 5400 ft, has the lowest heart disease of any major city in the country. Those of us living at higher altitudes develop larger lung capacity and cells and our body manufactures more red blood cells that compensates for slightly less oxygen in the air.
In the mile-high basin of Casper, and Natrona County, Wyoming, the Indians called the place "the Valley of Fever." Strep throats untreated with antibiotics can leave the victim susceptible to early heart attacks if lucky enough to survive the disease. My husband's secretary, a lifelong Wyomingite, was 50 years old when she went in for a heart surgery, without which she would have died. Yes, she had a strep throat in the 30s, and she told us it was also because of having a strep throat when young when it wasn't clear whether she had a decent antibiotic back then, before they found out what the real problem was, and that the Indians weren't wrong for going around the entire area if they had to walk 100 miles to avoid everything about the large basin and mountainous area. In the 1800s, Mormons headed for Utah wound up passing Bessemer's Bend, and a few miles up the road, many, many of them died. They may call the place Mormon Pass, but I can't remember for sure. There is still an area the Mormons built as a remembrances of the colony of travelers whose last day on this planet was spent with heinous fever, dehydration by a river's side (I think it was the Sweetwater River), but no matter what religion people are, they cry when they hear of the sufferings of the group that got wiped out by illness. Maybe they thought the Indians were just trying to scare them or they had no warning. It was a sad day for pioneers going west. Strep throat was and is a ruthless disease when not treated with penicillin or natural remedy, if there was one. The Indian people of the general vicinity solved the problem by simply staying away from the areas where the strep germs ruled. :(

Mile high is the area where cakes flop down if Eastern Board, Gulf Coast, or West Coast cake recipes are used and is considered high altitude throughout the Rocky Mountains from Durango up. I learned that in the 35 years I mussed up my fair share of cakes the first year until someone told a once-subtropical Houstonian whose baking skills were near sea level the tricks of the cake trade at mile-high altitude. :laughing0301: Seems it had to do with adding a couple of tablespoons of flour, lowering the temp and possibly adding time of cooking, or was it the other way around? Who cares! I don't have to think about it anymore at only about 320' above sea level. :biggrin:

Forum List

Back