USMB Coffee Shop IV

50 years ago.....The last time we visited the moon....

I was excited when there was suggestion for returning to manned space exploration. I thought it short sighted to stop our individual initiatives. I am uncomfortable with the thought of any other than stable, peaceful, non aggressive nations controlling what is allowed or what happens in space. And the Hubble has been so wonderful, I was furious when the federal government decided to stop support for it and was happy when that was remedied.

I'm one of those who would have gone on the Starship Enterprise in a heartbeat and am fascinated by the possibilities conceived in intelligent sci fi and disaster films, even if only in the imagination, of what we might be able to do to protect the Earth from large incoming space objects and what we might be able to learn via space travel--ours and 'theirs'.

The Apollo program as amazing and wonderful as it was--we learned so much--but I think it was still in the infancy of what technology we will eventually have.

Good night, afternoon, morning wherever you are darlinks. I really do love you guys. May the Coffee Shop always be a virtual family for those who need or enjoy one here.

Harper, the inspiration for the vigil list.
Nosmo King for healing and health & wholeness.
Big Black Dog for the very best treatment and outcome for the rest of his days.
Gracie for solutions and peace.
Ringel for continued wellness.
Hombre & Foxfyre's son for continued wellness & their nephew dealing with ALS.
Beautress's friend Ken for healing and wellness.
Boedicca's nephew for healing/adversity.

And we keep the light on so others who have been away can find their way back and we hope they will.

Christmas at the San Felipe de Neri Catholic Church (established 1706) Old Town Albuquerque NM. Features a beautiful manger scene adjoined by a well supervised petting zoo of animals typical at that time.
old-town-albuquerque.jpg

50 years ago.....The last time we visited the moon....

Except drones - but yes... Maybe, we're a civilization, where drones would grow more effectively, than we are, the people?
But working more than 25 years as a programmer, I don't know, at which side I'll be in Judgement day... Maybe, Terminators not a bad guys in mass, more understandable for me?

I was excited when there was suggestion for returning to manned space exploration. I thought it short sighted to stop our individual initiatives. I am uncomfortable with the thought of any other than stable, peaceful, non aggressive nations controlling what is allowed or what happens in space. And the Hubble has been so wonderful, I was furious when the federal government decided to stop support for it and was happy when that was remedied.

I'm one of those who would have gone on the Starship Enterprise in a heartbeat and am fascinated by the possibilities conceived in intelligent sci fi and disaster films, even if only in the imagination, of what we might be able to do to protect the Earth from large incoming space objects and what we might be able to learn via space travel--ours and 'theirs'.

The Apollo program as amazing and wonderful as it was--we learned so much--but I think it was still in the infancy of what technology we will eventually have.

I don't think, you've read someone of Russian/Soviet fiction writers, but it was one of ideas of Ivan Efremov - civilizations cannot reach the stars, while they don't solve social problems, like extremism, faschism and so on. He called this effect "Arrow of Ariman"... Maybe he was wrong, if we'll think about swarms of robots... But what if effectiveness of robotic organizations really strong depend of our human morals too?

I don't think, you've read someone of Russian/Soviet fiction writers, but it was one of ideas of Ivan Efremov - civilizations cannot reach the stars, while they don't solve social problems, like extremism, faschism and so on. He called this effect "Arrow of Ariman"... Maybe he was wrong, if we'll think about swarms of robots... But what if effectiveness of robotic organizations really strong depend of our human morals too?
I have read some Russian writers/authors but no sci fi that I can recall. I don't really read American sci fi either, but do enjoy an intelligent and well done movie. One of the most memorable of the classics is a 1951 film "The Day the Earth Stood Still" starring Michael Renne as Klaatu, the space traveler who came to Earth to warn us all to clean up our act or face annihilation. His people had developed a 'police force' of invincible robots given absolute power to stop aggression of all kinds no matter who committed it.

The film, made when even jet plane technology was in its infancy, still has moral and social implications for us today. And other films have highlighted wonderful robots with artificial intelligence that served humankind admirably.

But I am too old fashioned to turn the governance or power in the world/universe over to machines. A number of movies since then have involved robots with artificial intelligence that went rogue or out of control to humankind's serious detriment. I wouldn't like that at all.

"Klaatu barado nikto."

Last edited:
My needs are simple. I watched this to be inspired to vacuum and soap clean the details of my car.

Wow james bond. I'm usually not all that interested in this kind of stuff but I watched the whole thing and it was amazing. Thank you for sharing. (Agreed that when we detail our cars we don't do near that kind of job.)

And welcome to the Coffee Shop. We're happy you found us and keep right on joining in. First timers receive a complimentary beverage. How about a hot cocoa martini? (Sounds gross but looks really good.)

content_c8-Photo-Courtesy-of-A-Cocktail-Life.-Hot-Cocoa-Martini.jpg

Wow james bond. I'm usually not all that interested in this kind of stuff but I watched the whole thing and it was amazing. Thank you for sharing. (Agreed that when we detail our cars we don't do near that kind of job.)

And welcome to the Coffee Shop. We're happy you found us and keep right on joining in. First timers receive a complimentary beverage. How about a hot cocoa martini? (Sounds gross but looks really good.)

content_c8-Photo-Courtesy-of-A-Cocktail-Life.-Hot-Cocoa-Martini.jpg
I looked up the price of a decent pressure washer and it was about $800. For that, I can get a lot of $12 car washes in the machine with vacuum afterwards.

Forum List

Back